Thread: Safety Selector Switch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Safety Selector Switch

Greetings All,

I am a new member and came across this forum when researching help with troubleshooting my safety selector switch operation (Mark II FV owner with AccuTrigger). Has anyone encountered a switch firing on safe? If yes, were you able to identify a solution. Open to receiving any suggestions and ideas.

Never had any other rifle malfunctions. However, I think the magazine spring is weakening and it might be time for a replacement. Does anyone have experience with purchasing Wolff magazine springs?

Gracias, Happy New Year and shoot straight!

mrnate8

Basic Member
    Can you give more detail on your history with this issue. Are you original owner? Did problem just start? Have you made any mods or been inside working on anything? Etc, etc.

Honestly, I would call Savage and discuss, but I am just curious.

Basic Member
    Hey Chisel,

We (daughter and I) are the original owners. It started a few months ago. The detent spring has always been super firm to activate safety. I assume over time, something caused it to stop working.

I don't toss the rifle around to avoid having to rezero the scope. Besides fitting the action with a new glass bedded (barrel lug) tactical stock from Boyd's, there are no other modifications I have made to the FV.

I discovered this great forum after striking out on other platforms (YouTube, rimfirecentral, etc.)

I have also not toyed with adjusting the AccuTrigger as the factory setting has been satisfactory for me (50 yd zero groups are .45-.63).

To detail the operation for you, the rifle fires on both the fire and safe settings. I did disassemble the trigger completely to better understand the mechanism's operation, but was unable to identify anything. I did see the older non-AccuTrigger editions have a safety spring included in the diagram here (part no. #40), but I don't think this applies to my specific rifle.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man.../mark-ii-lkfld

I did intend to bring the rifle to Savage in person (I grew up in MA), but COVID wrecked havoc on my family holiday travel plans. They gunsmith department was closed Christmas week anyway.

Open to suggestions before I ship it to Savage.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    Regarding the safety spring, it is hard to say whether it should be there without knowing more about the age and model. But, my question really is this - what is retaining the pin that the safety lever rotates on? Is there any kind of retaining clip holding that pin in place?

So here's my thoughts. The safety spring you mentioned has a dual function: 1) to act as a retaining clip for the safety lever; and 2) to provide some spring force to ensure that the safety is ALWAYS pulled inward toward the action. The latter is extremely important, because IF the safety lever is allowed to sit too far away from action, then the little 90 degree tab on bottom of safety lever may not be fully engaged into the path of the trigger mechanism and thus being allowed to stop the trigger blade from traveling to a fired position. I would take a close look at that, and try to identify if the safety lever has some side-to-side play, with action both in AND out of stock. I would also check that the tab doesn't have any abnormal wear - from where or why, I have no idea, but you never know.

Take a look and post back what you see.

EDIT: On a similar note, since you changed stocks, I would also ensure that the new stock is not pressing on the safety lever pin (from opposite side of safety lever) and forcing the safety lever away from the action. This could also cause the issue I just mentioned.

Basic Member
    I have the AccuTrigger for sure. I peeked at my FFL and it's dated 2016.

There is a teeny c-clip that retains the pin holding the safety lever.

Unfortunately, the action fires on both safe and fire - both IN the stock and stand-alone. I will take it out again to confirm that operation still stands.

Also will confirm the new stock does not press on safety lever pin.

Last, I will mount the action to the original synthetic stock.

Will report back with findings. Thanks for the suggestions.

mrnate8

Basic Member
    I don't know if my experience with my Savage mark II BV will be of any help to you but here it is anyway. The trigger weight is about 2lb but I decided I wanted it lower - I don't know why since this rifle is one of the most accurate .22 I've owned. I purchased the Basix Trigger. I spent a few hours trying to get the safety to function. I could see the tiny adjustments I was making but I could not get the safety to function. The rifle would fire with the safety on. I could bounce the stock butt on the ground and the rifle would fire - it was too dangerous so I returned the Basix and re installed the original trigger. I don't know what the parts involved are called (there are 2 of them working together) but if your trigger assembly is like mine you can actually see them function. I don't remember but think I was messing with the accu trigger adjustment screw and a small adjustment might fix your problem.

I grew up in RI and my first rifle was a Savage.

Basic Member
    Safety first! That's scary. I read on some other forums that was an issue with light trigger weights.

I will mark the AccuTrigger tension with a marking pen so I can return to factory tension after testing various trigger weights and see if that also impacts the safety operation.

Friar alum here (not the biggest Cooley fan, don't be fooled by team's ranking).

Basic Member
    Just to be sure I read your earlier post correctly. The detent spring IS still there, and the detent function IS working, correct?

Basic Member
    Aye captain! Yes to spring. Detent switch mechanism (that triangle piece) moves with safety selector switch just fine, but I don't see any further action within the trigger group that's protruding the trigger from firing on safe. I'm gonna shoot a video clip if it can be uploaded here by weekend's end if I get to it.

Basic Member

Also, I noticed when the selector is on safe, there is a significant gap at the sear (sorry, pic sucks, but there's a penciled arrow - see below post - learning on fly)

Basic Member
    [IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    EDIT: Adding previously deleted info below.

There is a set screw on the trigger mechanism just behind the trigger blade. This screw is to adjust the [allowable] travel of trigger prior to contacting safety lever tab. It is typically adjusted to allow virtually zero trigger travel when safety is engaged. If the set screw has been altered, is broken, or hs been adjusted, it may allow the trigger to travel enough to allow rifle to fire.

IMO, this set screw, if adjusted too far clockwise, can cause the safety lever to catch on the screw which wouldresult in difficulty engaging safety. If adjusted too far CW, it could block the travel of the safety lever and cause the safety to not engage at all. Adjusting the set screw too far CCW, and the trigger may travel far enough to fire rifle.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrnate8 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    My problem was the notch area in the circle opening - no matter where I moved it and there's not much distance I couldn't get the safety to function. What bugged me was it's such a simple functioning of 2 pieces of metal and I couldn't get it to work and Basix was no help with a solution.

La Salle Academy and PC - probably before you were born!!

Basic Member
    Don G,

I did fumble around with the AccuTrigger to see if the spring tension would affect the safety selector engagement, but it did not seem to make any difference.