(30.06 rifle) Several past posts discussed that some late 80's retaining pins had poor heat treatment which caused breakages. Other posts point out that Savage later went with firing pins with smaller shafts so that the pin had more meat and was stronger. Members suggested a new smaller diameter firing pin, new appropriately sized retaining pin, and a new bolt head that had a smaller channel on the back end to fit the smaller pin. First of all, no one had the original large hole pins in stock so I was pretty much stuck with getting the new smaller pin parts. I got the parts from a Texas supplier who advertises on this site. The problem is that the old bolt body has an internal bump that indexes with a cutout on the old bolt head. The bump makes it impossible to use the new bolt head. Some members say that using the old bolt head is fine with the new smaller pin because the retaining pin and the firing pin tip channel is enough bearing for the firing pin. A customer who bought parts elsewhere said he just ground the internal "bump" out of the bolt body and used the new bolt face that is drilled for the new smaller pin. I put the bolt back together with the new firing pin and the new retaining pin with the original bolt head and put the bolt back in the gun and it cycles just fine. But is it safe??? Please advise. Thanks