Thread: Axis build for a lightweight deer/hog gun

Axis build for a lightweight deer/hog gun

Looking to take this Axis 308 and build something similar to the Savage Mark II Minimalist for a hog/deer gun. Looking at the Boyd's Spike Camp stock and trying to narrow down my options for a barrel. I'm wanting something around 18" and possibly threaded. Most cost effective would likely be to just have my barrel cut down. If I decided to go the route of a custom barrel, what twist rate would be best for bullets in the 165gr-180gr range? There's also the option of purchasing a new barrel. As for Optics, I'm leaning towards the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44mm. Kind of leaning toward the Scout type of rifle, but without the long eye relief, forward mounted scope. Any advice or opinions are welcome.

Basic Member
    Since it is a shorter-ish barrelled hun ting rifle, i am assuming a shorter range rifle too. In that case MOA accuracy is acceptable, and that scope looks like a good enough option and i would just have a smith cut down the barrel length and possibly thread the barrel. Since you aren't planning to shoot heavy bullets, i am sure the stock twist rate should be plenty good for 165-180 grain bullets. If you don't have an accutrigger i would either work the stock trigger springs or get a timney trigger and then the stock and barrel trimming would be my recommendation.

Good luck!

Basic Member
    If that is a sporter barrel is there enough meat left to thread it?? You really need 5/8" threads for a .308...