Thread: Newbie with scope question on Axis II

Newbie with scope question on Axis II

Just bought my first rifle at age 71! I got a Savage Axis II in 6.5 Creedmoor with kit scope (Bushnell banner). I have an issue that I need to wear my glasses (prisms to correct double vision), so am working on correct placement of scope. My first scope as well! I find I need a cheekpad to get high enough to see through the scope. Is this normal with this gun? I have what came from factory so I assume they are weaver rings and bases (looks like the Grand slam style). Can I go lower with different bases/rings or with the bolt on the Savage will it hit?

Also, this scope seems "dim" to me after getting it home. I had a fall and bruised shoulder so my neighbor (30 year FBI vet) tried to help sight in. We couldn't really get consistent results.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

BTW am a US Navy vet

Basic Member
    Hope this will help you some.

Should scope be that high? There's no real problem with any scope height as long as the objective bell (end toward muzzle) has a good 1/8" minimum clearance from barrel. 1/8" minimum is my preference, others may have their own personal preference for clearance.

Do you need a cheek riser? Once the scope has been adjusted for proper eye relief, and then you rest your cheek on stock in a comfortable position and you do not have a clear field of view, yes you will probably want a riser. If it's the Accufit stock, then they should make a riser piece that will connect right up and get you to the height you want.

Can you go with lower rings? Absolutely, as long as you have minimum clearance between objective bell and barrel, and you've got enough room to get your finger in ejection port to fiddle with cartridges if necessary. If you are wanting to change them, there are a lot of online resources for figuring out what ring height you need, just pay attention to the fact that some manufacturers spec their ring heights differently. Some use from top of base to bottom of ring. Others use top of base to middle of ring. I personally like Burris Signature because of their flexibility, but I also use Seekins. There are a lot of good ones out there. And don't discount those grand slams. A lot of people like them too.

You couldn't get consistent results? The first thing I would do is absolutely positively make sure the bases, ring base clamps, and ring tops are all installed and torqued correctly. I have a system that works for me, but if you follow the manufacturers instructions, you should be close. I mount all my screws using a removable type loctite or Vibratite and torque to spec with a Wheeler torque wrench. I even use loctite in the rings for high recoil stuff. There's several good web videos that show and extensive procedure for tweaking all the alignments of ring bottom to base and such that I recommend watching. Also, when I'm using 2-piece bases, I almost always go with Burris Signature rings for their ability to easily cancel out any alignment discrepancies between front and rear base. One piece bases don't tend to have as many issues in this respect. I know this is wordy, but so important for getting consistent results. Just be sure on this part before you change ammo.

You couldn't get consistent results? If you're shooting factory ammo, you may need to try some different ammo. Different barrel times can give different results on target, sometimes drastically different. Somewhere out there is some ammo that gives you a barrel time and velocity window that your rifle likes. If Savage has recommended any particular ammo for that rifle, I would start there.

Your scope seemed to "dim"? Hmmm. I would take it back out into a well lit area and look again. Dial the zoom down to minimum magnification first - maximum magnification by it's nature provides a darker field of view. If it is still dim, ensure that the ocular focus (check your scope manual) is correct for your vision. There are many good online videos that show how to setup and adjust a scope. If you have adjustable objective or a "side focus" parallax, I would get acquainted with it's purpose, watch some videos on it's adjustment, then set that up properly as well. If it's still dim, then you might want to try and determine if any of the internals have shifted around. Listen for rattling. Also gently tap on scope while looking through it and see if anything inside is shifting. Zoom in an out a few times and look for problems. I have destroyed several scopes in my lifetime and if a lens gets out of whack, it can appear as a dimming. Most of the time my scopes died from the mounts getting loose first and causing the scope to experience some harsh impact forces. Not saying that's the issue, but something to be aware of.

Sometimes it's the little mundane things that cause the biggest problems. Good luck to you.

Basic Member
    Yes, to a cheekpiece if you need one. Not uncommon.

Basic Member
    I agree with checking the torque on everything and loctite on the base screws. I never do it on rings since they are easily checked. So far none of them have changed. I don't know how good the scopes are they are using now but don't expect a lot from the scope with a package gun. I bought my Axis without a scope and I didn't get the Axis II either. I knew the trigger would be too tight and would have to be changed so I saved money on that and bought a little higher toned scope. The action screws on my Axis weren't torqued right either so no doubt there could be a good chance scope base and rings aren't up to snuff either.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful reply! I'm a novice at this and certainly "don't know what I don't know".
    It is a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 scope but I do not know what the bases or scope rings are. I did check and I have 1/4" clearance on the objective bell. Looks like the centerline of the scope is about 1 1/8" above barrel and it is a 1" tube. I had tried the gun/scope in store and I thought I could see OK. But when I got it home, I felt I was bending my neck to see and realized when I put cheek on stock a few times was constantly looking under scope. I put on a makeshift pad and seemed to see through each time. I have been reading that the bolt of these Savage Axis prevent having lower rings - if I understand correctly. I do have a slightly curved receiver top.

I find the "zoom ring (to adj from 3-9)" is nearly touching the rear ring. I think it would be better to move scope back since I have to move face closer to scope to not see black edges? I have not tried to adjust the ocular focus.
    When I bought it, was told the factory had sighted in the scope. We checked the bore sight and was way off so we had to twist the adj dials quite a bit. When that was done, my neighbor shot it and we were "on paper" at 40 yards. Next day went to 50 yards and was just on paper. did the adj dials and was closer to bull so shot 3 times, no group but used position to again try to dial in. Shot off again. We were using Winchester 129g factory ammo. I'm down to just 4 cartridges left and nobody has any so can't try a different brand:)

We did check to see if any screws were loose. We did not have a torque wrench but none were obvious loose.

Sorry I wasn't clear about the term "dim". When we were trying to sight in, my 2 neighbors had their rifles/scopes as well. These were older scopes; a Redfield 3-9x40 and a Leupold 3.5-10x50 and to all our eyes my scope was dimmer. Not as clear and bright as theirs. So I'm not sure I can trust this scope...

Thanks again

Basic Member
    I did fine with my Axis package scope (heavy barrel .223). It was a cheap 4-12. Not great optics but it survived over 1000rnds. I would check to see if the mounts are secure.

I did end up changing the scope cause I got a good deal on a Vortex Diamondback. Sent the original off to someone else to use and they had good luck with it as well. FWIW, I am still using the cheap original rings but I put on a Weaver base. It still holds less than 1/2MOA after 4000rounds with reloads. Std .223 ammo is pretty bad.

But, as above, if the rifle was fired with a loose scope mounting then the scope could have been damaged.

Ammunition can be spotty. Don't know what 'inconsistent' results mean but your rifle should shoot MOA or better. If it has the smaller dia standard barrel then keep it to 3 round groups and let it cool between.

PS Army vet here and I won't hold it against you :)