Thread: Bolt polishing?

Bolt polishing?

I've got an older blued 110 in .270 that I'm considering using as the base for a .260 build. The stainless bolt on this rifle is rather dull, and would need to be shined up a bit to better match a stainless barrel from Shilen or McGowen.

Any recommendations on what technique or compounds might work best? A search showed me some folks have used a polishing wheel on a bench grinder, but I don't have one.

Re: Bolt polishing?

if you dont have a polishing wheel or dremel, then you need some elbow grease.....Lots of it.

I used polishing rouge, Mothers aluminum polish, or similar on mine and it has worked great, but I also had a polishing wheel...
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
    if you dont have a polishing wheel or dremel, then you need some elbow grease.....Lots of it.

I used polishing rouge, Mothers aluminum polish, or similar on mine and it has worked great, but I also had a polishing wheel...
    I do have a Dremel - that polishing wheel ain't real wide but it sounds like its better than the alternative.

pd721el

I used sewn cloth buffing wheels on a bench grinder. It worked well. I would recommend starting with an emery compound, then work to a finer finish with red or white rouge. Then final polish with Mothers or Flitz. I had polished several pieces with and with out the emery compound start, using it provide a more uniform final product. I bought everything at the local big box hardware store. Good luck

Rebels7

If you have a drill something like this http://www.amazon.com/3-Sisal-Mounte.../dp/B001RCKW6M or this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00928650000P should work for what you are trying to do.

xr650rRider

gotcha

whether you polish by hand or use a wheel get SIMICHROME. Absolutely the finest metal polish I've ever used. You can usually find it at a motorcycle shop. Made in Germany & comes in a toothpaste like tube. Use it sparingly. Wrap an old cotton T shirt around your index finger and polish 'til the t shirt turns black and wipe with clean part of cloth to high luster. Will polish any metal. --------- beautifully!