Thread: model 99 info

model 99 info

Hello to all. Was at a lgs today looking for some ammo (success!) and did some browsing. Saw a model 99 in 250-3000 on the rack. VGC with a vintage scope. Clerk mentioned it was probably made in the 70's, but there was no safety warning on the barrel. Odd thing, it had a carving or stamping of a deer on the buttstock flat (just behind the receiver) and a case head inserted into the forearm, but these items were only on the right side. Scope was a weaver of undetermined origin, I didn't look too closely because my initial reaction was 'bubba'.
    So I started thinking, and decided to do some research and came here for info. My thoughts are this could be a a package type item for some retailer or something weird like that. The carving or stamping was very well done (why didn't I look more closely?) and the scope was pretty old 'looking'. No retailer name seen on the metal parts, just the normal info minus the warning instituted in the late sixties/early seventies. No box or anything, price was under 1 grand but close.
    So, any idea what I might be looking at here? I'm real interested anyway without the tie in or commemoration, if there is any, and may go back to make an offer. Just wanted to make the best offer. Thanks in advance.

Not factory. It was pretty common back in the day - especially with lever guns - for owners to inset a case head into the stock. Another similar customization of the era was to inset a small Herter's stock compass into the buttstock as a navigational aid. They were small (roughly 3/4" dia.) so you weren't going to use it to calculate an accurate bearing and heading, but sufficient enough to give you the basic N-S-E-W bearings if you got lost.

The deer head could just be the handiwork of a previous owner or it could be a Boyds replacement stock and they opted for a little laser engraving.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain