Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need an action wrench

Banned

Yes, I’m no longer surprised by even the dumbest “Firearms Follies”. When you’ve watched a person have a fail to fire and inspect the cause by STARING DOWN THE BARREL...... kinda all downhill at that point. I know I’m not alone in this, Lol!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nksmfamjp View Post
    For those of you without an action wrench, doesn’t the action move when tightening the nut causing a loss of headspace setting. Basically, my nut contacted the action and they both spun on the threads…..just a bit. I then used the smooth nut wrench as an action wrench. When I do again, I’ll pay the $50 for the NSS.
    I usually use the bolt to slightly restrain the action when tightening up the barrel nut. But I am also not in a hurry so I will put the receiver on just a tad tight and the nut backs it off a bit. I just play around with it a while until the headspace is right where I want it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I know I have purchased rifles with twisted actions from this and based on some of our post on here Fred has repaired them too...so it does happen. We also saw an action that the guy had tried to us the recoil lug to hold the action and ripped the recoil pin across the face of the action destroying it beyond repair. The guy actually came on the forum and talked about what happened(archives). It is one of those beginner Savage smith things.
    That'd be a savage smith, as opposed to a Savage smith...lol
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    That'd be a savage smith, as opposed to a Savage smith...lol
    OOOOH, Double Entendre!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Got a double entree on accident at Wendy's Sunday.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Mikie, I'm not sure what you're not understanding.

YOUR words: "Cranked it down on a Stainless Steel Savage action, broke the nut loose but couldn't spin the barrel"

This is a result of the Action Wrench BOLTS being cranked down too much which crushes the Action & Barrel threads into one another, preventing the barrel from turning. It's only a few thousandths. Quite a simple concept here, and has nothing to do with the Wheeler Action Wrench. What does that have to do with a super tight barrel nut? It's TWO different conversations. Nothing wrong with the Internal Action Wrench. If you prefer it, awesome. Wouldn't work well for me though... only having one hand & all, LOL! And they really should be used in conjunction with a Barrel Vice. Otherwise, what are you mounting the setup to? Can't freehand it.

BTW: I've never had a problem "pulling my hair out" over a barrel nut. I was a professional Auto Tech. I dealt with seized nuts & bolts that made the tightest Savage Barrel nut seem like a greased wing nut. Good trick is to tighten the nut first. Just bump it slightly. This breaks the sieze, then loosen. Typically one good SMACK with a mini sledge. Works like a charm.
    This^^^^^^^. If the action bolts are too tight the barrel will not turn in the action by hand, it should turn in and out by hand as easily as the nut turns in and out by jand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12