Thread: 284 build

Basic Member

284 build

Hello, looking at doing a 284 win build on an older 110 staggerfeed long action 30/06. Have searched a bunch but wanted to confirm a few things.

First I believe the bolt face will work. Yes?
    Will the standard blind magazine feed the fatter 284 rounds?
    if I wanted to do a floor plate what would be required?
    Lastly what chamber for shooting 160 class eld,bergers? This will be a light to mid weight hunting rifle. Initially I may keep the original blind mag stock and either re stain or probably paint. It’s the old cheap birch stock I believe but may upgrade later to a floor plate style stock if possible.

Thanks

Banned
    Yes, bolt face will work. Yes, 284 will fit the 30-06 mag. Almost the same when the ‘06 is blown out to AI. Not sure what you are asking with “what chamber for shooting 160 class”?? What specifically are asking by “chamber”. The chamber IS 284 in this case.

I’ll let someone else field the stock questions. They really aren’t my forte. I’m an AICS mag fan.

Banned
    Oh, BTW... great choice in the 284! I’m a 284 ANYTHING can. One of the greats!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yes, bolt face will work. Yes, 284 will fit the 30-06 mag. Almost the same when the ‘06 is blown out to AI. Not sure what you are asking with “what chamber for shooting 160 class”?? What specifically are asking by “chamber”. The chamber IS 284 in this case.

I’ll let someone else field the stock questions. They really aren’t my forte. I’m an AICS mag fan.

Thanks. As to the chamber the standard 284 as I understand it does not have enough freebore to shoot the eld or vld style bullets. Criterion has a match chamber which I believe has a .220 freebore. Many of the target guys shooting the 180 class vld or sierras are shooting .250 ish. I would like the option of being able to use the 162 eld or eldx but still not be jumping a mile to use say a standard bullet like the ballistic tip if that makes sense.

Banned
    I got ya. Yeah, that is Freebore as you pointed out. Freebore is actually listed as “the portion of the barrel between the CHAMBER & rifling”. Just wasn’t quite sure as the “chamber” is the same. It’s not like 223, 5.56 & Wylde where there are completely different chambers. But I’m smellin’ what ur steppin’ in now partner.

So the freebore is up to you. Obviously, take into account that if you add some for the LONGER pills, it will have an impact on the lower weight, shorter bullets. No problem, of course, if you plan ONLY that longer load. I did add some throat to my 260 Rem. It’s a Shilen barrel, and they have previously had a reputation for short throats. But I only shoot 140gr+, the longer bullets.

Excellent choice of cartridges. If you buy off the shelf you are limited. Talk to Bugholes and get the exact chamber and throat you need. You may have to make a dummy round or 2 for the guy cutting it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Excellent choice of cartridges. If you buy off the shelf you are limited. Talk to Bugholes and get the exact chamber and throat you need. You may have to make a dummy round or 2 for the guy cutting it.
    I’m going with a prefit so I may be limited to what they have on hand as far as reamers. Shilen may do a custom prefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    I’m going with a prefit so I may be limited to what they have on hand as far as reamers. Shilen may do a custom prefit.
    Prefit is a broad term. In mine and your case, If it has savage threads utilizing a barrel nut, it is pretty much a prefit. If you mean not ordering a barrel cut to your chamber and profile specs...Custom prefit maybe. So now your question is, out of all the guys who have barrels on the shelf or can spin one up relatively sooner rather than later, Who has a chamber or throater that can get you your best option for you 160 class Boolits.

There are guys that sell what they have and there are guys that will do the chamber or throat you want. That may require a little research on your part. Throating is not that big of a deal but someone like Northland may not have the ability as they are a reseller not a smith shop. Freebore must be designed into the reamer. Someone like Bugholes knows to use the right angle for the throat also. As Dave eluded there are some questions you might want answerd by someone who cuts the chambers. Like the difference between freebore and throat and what that means for your objective. People who do this for a living are experts in that arena and are worth talking to even if you decide on not using them.

Douglas does Savage pre fit and Stan Taylor has a fair amount of experience with the 284 chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by South Prairie jim View Post
    Douglas does Savage pre fit and Stan Taylor has a fair amount of experience with the 284 chamber.
    Stan Taylor would be an excellent choice and probably competitive. I will do a +1 for Stan.

My reamer for 168 class bullets uses a .140 throat. Works best for being near the lands
    and playing with seating depths. For the 180 class VLD's, I'll cut the throat to .210

For the 160 class bullets 1:10 twist is optimal, 1:9 is generally used for the 168's and
    1:8.5 for the 180's.

And Stan Taylor is a good choice.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    My reamer for 168 class bullets uses a .140 throat. Works best for being near the lands
    and playing with seating depths. For the 180 class VLD's, I'll cut the throat to .210

For the 160 class bullets 1:10 twist is optimal, 1:9 is generally used for the 168's and
    1:8.5 for the 180's.

And Stan Taylor is a good choice.
    I recall (somewhat) Stan discussing the 284 and how certain brass would be a better choice than another due to the chamber dimensions and dies available, a little above my pay grade perhaps you could expand on that topic.

Basic Member
    Another Vote for Stan Taylor and Douglas! I’ve got one of His barrels in 6mmBRA, a great shooter.

I recall (somewhat) Stan discussing the 284 and how certain brass would be a better choice than another due to the chamber dimensions and dies available, a little above my pay grade perhaps you could expand on that topic.
    I do my own chamber dies, and use Norma brass. Some guys have claimed to
    have problems with Lapua brass because Of a thicker base dimension. The Norma
    brass is also on the thicker side but works good with my chamber. Problems
    generaly noted are from tight match reamers, then that person not using the
    correct sizing die.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    The 2 options I’m currently looking at is a Criterion match chamber. .322 neck .220 freebore. Or a Shilen with.317 neck and throated to a dummy round.