Thread: Barrel Swaps

Basic Member

Barrel Swaps

Considering a 2nd barrel for my M10 instead of a new rifle. Knowing I have the ability to swap barrels, this plan makes sense, but I'm wondering.......for those that do swap barrels, do you really switch back and forth that often?

Basic Member
    The initial cost is a little high because you will need tools (barrel wrench, vise and go/no go gauges) in addition to the barrels. I have two - one for short action and one for long action and several different caliber barrels. Don’t swap real often but can in about an hour and have different rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Actually, I replaced the factory barrel on this rifle a couple years ago, so I have all the needed tools. It's looking more and more like I can't go wrong with a new prefit and gauges.

Basic Member
    I never switch back and forth...tend to take the more $$$ route and build up another gun.

Banned
    NOOOOPE! Never did with the AR15 either. But then, I’m not a caliber whore. Not that there’s anything wrong with that...just not my bag. I’m a creature of Habit! ALL 223 shooting is with my ARs, and I am partial to 260 REM in my Savage. I change the barrel when it’s burnt out. And if I HAD to have another caliber in a Savage, I’d build a completely NEW rifle.

do you really switch back and forth that often?
    Yes.

Basic Member
    Do not see me swapping any.

But, I might keep the barrel as a just in case kinda thing.

I could see someone with a very specific and expensive stock/action wanting to change barrels. I remember seeing video of someone at a match changing calibers. Don't remember if it was a bench or Fclass or F/TR. Could have been someone changing between F and F/TR.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Timely thread. Last night I spun off a fire forming barrel, then spun up a fresh one for
    break in. Hopefully I'll get a few more barrels off my reamer.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Yes.
    Same here.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I don't.
    I see the advantage of a Savage is being able to buy a cheap 270 or 243 or something else that I don't want, then spin on a 260 or 6.5-06 or 35 Whelen something that I do want. I have never swapped uppers on an AR and somehow I accumulated enough Contender and Encore frames to match the number of barrels that I have.
    I have extra barrels for my Dan Wessons, but once settled in I usually don't swap them.

Team Savage
    I have set up a "switch barrel" short action Lightweight Storm and toggle between a 7mm-08 Shaw barrel that I picked up for $249 (damn thing shoots lights-out) and a custom X-Caliber barrel in .284 Win. I wanted just a bit more "punch" for when I hunt elk, hence the .284 Win, but if I only have a deer tag, the 7mm-08 gets the job.

Takes me more time to re-zero the scope than it does to swap the barrels.

Basic Member
    That’s why I’m looking for a 35 Whelan or 338 Federal, not that I would shoot every day but want to try for deer hunting.

Basic Member
    ^^ I love My 358 Winchester ^^

And sometimes I switch barrels just because I am tired of Shuffle Board

Basic Member
    No, I have only swapped a barrel on 2 Savage rifles and installed 2 barrels on Bighorn actions with Barrel nuts. I did swap a barrel back to the original barrel on one of the savages when i decided to put the Shilen on a bighorn because it deserved a better action. Then the proof that was on the bighorn went on yet another Savage action... but we are looking at over a year between the swaps.

Basic Member
    I have switched a number of barrels but never back to the original.

Basic Member
    Well.....I took the .308 in question out to shoot over the weekend (my first time shooting it with the Oryx chassis)......this swap barrel plan is now mostly in the trash, as the current rifle/chassis setup is SWEET. With all that said, I have a 25 yr old M700 in 22-250 that will likely become the owner of a new prefit in 6.5 Creedmoor (assuming I can get the action and barrel separated).

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJoe View Post
    Well.....I took the .308 in question out to shoot over the weekend (my first time shooting it with the Oryx chassis)......this swap barrel plan is now mostly in the trash, as the current rifle/chassis setup is SWEET. With all that said, I have a 25 yr old M700 in 22-250 that will likely become the owner of a new prefit in 6.5 Creedmoor (assuming I can get the action and barrel separated).
    If you make a relief cut with a Dremel cutoff wheel, it's not hard to separate a barrel from an action. That is of course if you don't plan to reuse the barrel.

Basic Member
    If you want to give the barrel-swap idea another try, consider ordering a Remington pre-fit with a barrel nut (what a lot of folks call a Remage). A google search on “Remington pre-fit barrel nut” or “Remage pre-fit” will show a lot of options. It seems to be an increasingly popular configuration across the array of factory and custom receivers. I haven’t done it myself but I’ve spent considerable time thinking about it:)

Banned
    That’s what he was talking about, LOL!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nixon View Post
    The initial cost is a little high because you will need tools (barrel wrench, vise and go/no go gauges) in addition to the barrels. I have two - one for short action and one for long action and several different caliber barrels. Don’t swap real often but can in about an hour and have different rifle.

Good to know

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowoulf2000 View Post
    If you want to give the barrel-swap idea another try, consider ordering a Remington pre-fit with a barrel nut (what a lot of folks call a Remage). A google search on “Remington pre-fit barrel nut” or “Remage pre-fit” will show a lot of options. It seems to be an increasingly popular configuration across the array of factory and custom receivers. I haven’t done it myself but I’ve spent considerable time thinking about it:)
    The Remington swap will go much easier with a pinned recoil lug. The savage swaps work easier than Remington because the savage lug is "keyed" to the reciever with the built in protrusion on the lug.
    Withsavageswirch barrels it pays to dedicate the barrel, recoil lug and barrel nut together. Index marks on all three pieces an getyouthere exactly compared to where it wasthelasttiereoed.
    This wayscopesettigs adheadspace may remain where they were.the index marks do not remove the need for proper use of headspace gauges.
    Another trick for speeding up barrel changes for me is to mill out the action wrench to clear the front scope base,Saving the time of scope base r&r.
    I mounted my action wrench permanently to my bench using shorter 1/2-20 bolts that do not touch the bolts that tighten the wrench to the action.
    Complete barrel changes take less than 20 minutes set up as my wheele action r wrench is.

Basic Member
    Can you post a picture of your milled wrench? Would like to do mine but am not a machinist and don’t have the tools.