Thread: New Axis 2 Precision - Wont Dechamber a Spent Round

New Axis 2 Precision - Wont Dechamber a Spent Round

So bought an Axis 2 Precision the end of October.
    Took it out to the range and shot a box of 7.62 working to sight in my scope.
    About 12 of the 20 were really hard to dechamber after firing.
    Put a Nosler 308 Match in and the first one was impossible to dechamber by hand.
    Ended up having to bump the bolt handle on the shooting bench.

Interestingly, there was another shooter there with the same rifle having the same problem.

Sent it in to Savage. I get it back and it says they buffed the chamber and tested it. Everything should be great.
    I put the same spent case back in the chamber and can't remove it.
    Really gotta love the tag on the service sheet saying 'We take pride in getting right the first time'.
    Feels like a certain political party, 'If we say it, it must be true'!

This time I call Savage to get the return ticket and find out that when they fire it, they don't do it by hand.
    So I guess the guy might not be evil, just lazy. Either way, the gun doesn't work.
    I sent it in again and barring them sending me a Tikka or a Savage from Pre-Communist Massachusets,
    I'm not anticipating that I'm going to get back a gun that works this time, either.
    Maybe I'll get a ticket back this time that says I'm racist for suggesting that it doesn't work and doesn't shoot 1/4 MOA.
    They *are* still in Mass.

Thoughts on what's going on? Online it seems like it might somehow be the bolt.
    The bolt that was returned did feel like it had sand dropped in it. Rough even when rotating the bolt without pressure.

So you forced a spent case that hadn’t been resized into the chamber and are surprised it won’t come out? I will admit primarily extraction on the axis is on the weak side but why would you insert a spent case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=ninner;495963]So you forced a spent case that hadn’t been resized into the chamber and are surprised it won’t come out? I will admit primarily extraction on the axis is on the weak side but why would you insert a spent case?

Amazingly, I didn't have to force it at all.
    It went in, relatively, smoothly.

For no apparent reason it just wont come back out.
    The bolt handle opens all the way. At least as far as I can tell. You just can't pull it back out.

I did take it to a gun smith. Palmetto State Armory location, in fact. Which is where I bought the thing.
    They had the same problem immediately. I say 'they' because they were 2 marines who had to 'mortar' it off the floor to get the spent case out.
    Basically they opened the bolt and banged the butt of the stock off the floor till it opened.

Basic Member
    Factory brass should extract easily. What marks did it leave on the brass?

FYI, they claim that factory testing for the .308 is with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo.

Savage is famous for leaving grit in bolt assemblies. Savage probably will not disassemble and clean if it works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Factory brass should extract easily. What marks did it leave on the brass?

FYI, they claim that factory testing for the .308 is with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo.

Savage is famous for leaving grit in bolt assemblies. Savage probably will not disassemble and clean if it works for them.
    There are almost no markings on the brass other than the rim being slightly deformed into a 'D' shape.
    It's not dramatic, but it's the only thing I can see.

Have you tried chambering any name brand 308. Could be a soft batch of 7.62 nato.

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    Have you tried chambering any name brand 308. Could be a soft batch of 7.62 nato.

I did, in fact. I had better luck with the standard ball ammo than I did with the nosler match 308 which stuck on basically every round.
    Figured the higher chamber pressure did something to increase occurance.

Basic Member
    You have a lack of primary extraction, which on an Axis is usually caused by the bolt body being slightly long. This prevents the extraction cam from contacting the cam on the bolt handle.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

You might try chambering an unloaded freshly sized and " trimmed" case into the chamber. See what that does for you. Could be the neck in the chamber is a tad short. Nice thing about Savage is you can reset the headspace and start over. I use 1.633 on mine and things have worked pretty well with all ammo I have tried.
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72