Thread: Unable to remove MKII bolt

Team Savage

Unable to remove MKII bolt

I have 2 MKII's. One of them will occasionally resist bolt removal for a few tries, then slide out easily. Recently installed Apachee kits in both rifles. Now I'm unable to remove the bolt in the rifle that previously caused problems. The safety functions as designed. Does anyone have thoughts on where the problem lies with this receiver/bolt? Thanks

Basic Member
    Accutrigger or pre-accu? The problem is that your sear is not being disengaged enough for the bolt to clear the v-notch in the sear. This could be a by-product of the Apache kit, but I not familiar enough with it to say for sure. But, it seems possible that the sear spring(s) may be set improperly and coil binding and stopping sear from disengaging all the way. OR that your trigger is somehow hitting the back of the trigger guard and limiting it's travel.

Try removing the trigger guard first and see if you can get the sear to disengage fully and get bolt out.

Team Savage
    I think you hit on the problem. The Apachee kit replaces the sear spring with a ball bearing and spring. Both rifles now require significantly more trigger pull pressure to release the bolt. I'm OK with it as long as I know what I have to do. BTW, the trigger break after the kit installation feels pretty darn good. Should've done it long ago. Thanks again.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS50 View Post
    I think you hit on the problem. The Apachee kit replaces the sear spring with a ball bearing and spring. Both rifles now require significantly more trigger pull pressure to release the bolt. I'm OK with it as long as I know what I have to do. BTW, the trigger break after the kit installation feels pretty darn good. Should've done it long ago. Thanks again.
    You may have to remove action and loosen the action posts a bit to free it up to get bolt loose. When you get the bolt out, I would also check the angled point on the bottom rear of the bolt that catches in the sear and see if it doesn't need to be evened up some. It could have a developed lip on bottom of the leading edge that is exacerbating things. I just looked at my Mark 2 and it has developed that lip. It happens over time pulling the bolt back and letting it slam into the sear. May be that and the new springs not having enough compression travel is it.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Chisel View Post
    You may have to remove action and loosen the action posts a bit to free it up to get bolt loose. When you get the bolt out, I would also check the angled point on the bottom rear of the bolt that catches in the sear and see if it doesn't need to be evened up some. It could have a developed lip on bottom of the leading edge that is exacerbating things. I just looked at my Mark 2 and it has developed that lip. It happens over time pulling the bolt back and letting it slam into the sear. May be that and the new springs not having enough compression travel is it.
    Both bolts had the lip, which I buffed off. The trigger pressure required for bolt removal is somewhat reduced. The Apachee kit spring tension probably accounts for what is now needed. It's manageable. Thanks, I learned something from this exercise.