Thread: Question about B22 bolt handles

Question about B22 bolt handles

Hi everyone. I am a recent new owner of a B22 Precision. Loving it so far but its always been my way to "tinker". I would really like to add a larger aftermarket bolt handle . I was wondering if anyone here knows if the bolt handle is removable from the bolt tube rear assembly. Looking at it, it is definitely a separate part, but not sure how it is fixed in there !......I have contacted Savage about buying a new part, but skeptical as to whether they will sell me part of the bolt as they specify the owner should never take it apart !!
    I would obviously need to machine and thread the handle to accept the larger knob and wanted to keep the original intact in case I mess up !!

This doesn't detail how to remove the bolt handle (don't even know if it's even possible - but just going off memory here), but it does show full disassembly of the bolt for cleaning/maintenance purposes which might help you get a better look/understanding of how it's attached.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I don't have the Precision, just the FV, but I want to advise that you follow J's advice and dis-assemble the bolt. Mine had many tiny pieces of metal shavings AND the grease inside was very 'gummy'. I thoroughly cleaned all parts, re-lubed with synthetic grease AND rounded off the 'notch' that the cocking piece rotates thru. Miles Sun has a YT vid on this issue, where the cocking piece will become very worn due to the 'sharp edges' of the bolt body and that notch. I also 'broke' the edge of the receiver where the bolt locks into when in battery. That too was a sharp edge. I'd rather spend the time 'fixing' these thing than have a warranty claim where S wants you to send the rifle to them.
    BTW there are 'bolt-on' enlarged bolt knobs avail from several vendors, on amazon search "Bolt knob for rifles". The handle doesn't look easily removed, tho you could cut then thread to add your choice.
    YMMV
    Good luck
    Ed

Basic Member
    Julio: I didn't like the bolt knob on my Savage MarkII BV. I found a guy in Ohio who would cut, machine and add a bolt knob. I sent the bolt priority mail and the post office misplaced the package!! Eventually they found it and returned it to me. The problem would have been my rifle would be useless as Savage wouldn't sell me a replacement bolt. Anyway, Kinetic Research Group (www.krg-ops.com) sells a bolt lift kit for a Remington 700 rifle. I took a chance and purchased it. It fits my bolt knob great and looks nice also.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post

This doesn't detail how to remove the bolt handle (don't even know if it's even possible - but just going off memory here), but it does show full disassembly of the bolt for cleaning/maintenance purposes which might help you get a better look/understanding of how it's attached.

Thanks for that. I have already disassembled the bolt and got rid of the sharp corner on the pin guide that is mentioned . Upon inspection, the handle is a separate part that looks like it may be threaded into the bolt tube, but is probably well loctited in there. I was wary about putting a wrench on the bolt handle and trying to turn it too hard for fears of snapping it off !!

Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
    I don't have the Precision, just the FV, but I want to advise that you follow J's advice and dis-assemble the bolt. Mine had many tiny pieces of metal shavings AND the grease inside was very 'gummy'. I thoroughly cleaned all parts, re-lubed with synthetic grease AND rounded off the 'notch' that the cocking piece rotates thru. Miles Sun has a YT vid on this issue, where the cocking piece will become very worn due to the 'sharp edges' of the bolt body and that notch. I also 'broke' the edge of the receiver where the bolt locks into when in battery. That too was a sharp edge. I'd rather spend the time 'fixing' these thing than have a warranty claim where S wants you to send the rifle to them.
    BTW there are 'bolt-on' enlarged bolt knobs avail from several vendors, on amazon search "Bolt knob for rifles". The handle doesn't look easily removed, tho you could cut then thread to add your choice.
    YMMV
    Good luck
    Ed
    Thanks for the tip. I have already disassembled and taken care of the sharp corner problem. I had looked at the handles that clamp on, but its difficult to tell which ones may or may not fit. I will probably go the route of machining the current knob into a thread to accept an aftermarket screw-on type .

Quote Originally Posted by Don G View Post
    Julio: I didn't like the bolt knob on my Savage MarkII BV. I found a guy in Ohio who would cut, machine and add a bolt knob. I sent the bolt priority mail and the post office misplaced the package!! Eventually they found it and returned it to me. The problem would have been my rifle would be useless as Savage wouldn't sell me a replacement bolt. Anyway, Kinetic Research Group (www.krg-ops.com) sells a bolt lift kit for a Remington 700 rifle. I took a chance and purchased it. It fits my bolt knob great and looks nice also.

I have contacted Savage about a replacement bolt handle so I can modify one and keep the original. I was told it had to be bought through my FFLl and they could not give me a price !.......seems strange as you can buy used bolts for many other rifles on eBay !!..You don't happen to remember the name of the guy who machined yours ? I see services for this type of thing, but only for the Rem 700 and a couple of other centerfire rifles. I may end up doing it myself or trying to find a clamp-on that fits.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I did perform the "de-sharpening " of the bolt tube corner which the pin rides over as soon as I got the rifle. It seems as though the bolt handle may be threaded into the bolt, but was unwilling to try and exert too much force on it to try and remove it. i have contacted savage about buying another bolt/handle and they informed me that it is an item that has to be ordered through an FFL, which seems odd as there are countless rifle bolts on eBay and elsewhere online with no such restrictions. I may try and get the handle threaed by a gunsmith or machine shop but many seem to only work on certain bolts (Remington 700. Howa etc).... I may even attempt it myself !..just wanted to have a back up bolt in case I screw up !!

UPDATE !!

So, I have decided that the easiest and best route for me is use this adaptor to install any threaded (5/16" x24) bolt knob on to my B22 bolt. It requires removing the existing bolt head and drilling and tapping into the stem of the bolt handle. I looked into getting the handle threaded by a gunsmith, but nobody seemed interested in doing the job on this particular rifle. In my experience, I have always had better luck when I perform my own modifications as it seems very few people nowadays take much pride in the job they do.
    Have ordered correct drill bits and taps and will update with pictures when I have completed this!!
    thanks to those who responded and offered advice.

DIY BOLT KNOB 5/16-24 to 10-24 tpi Adapter Stud fits Remington 700 and Other 769272681323 | eBay

So, I went ahead and did my own modification. took a hacksaw to the factory knob and removed the end section. Used the thread adaptor mentioned above after drilling and tapping into the remaining section of the handle.
    It will now take any aftermarket bolt knob threaded in 5/16" 24 (which is most of them). Turned out great using just hand tools in my garage, Makes bolt movement easier and gives more leverage. I plan on getting the bolt assembly Cerakoted as the black factory finish wears very quickly and looks kinda nasty.

That looks great, think I'll do the same for my Mk IIg