Thread: .308 Package Rifle Stocks

Basic Member

.308 Package Rifle Stocks

Really enjoying my .223 Storm XP. Recoil obviously is really a non-issue for the stock. I`m wondering if that would still be the case with the same package in .308 ? Anyone with any real life experience with the package guns in .308? Thanks guys.

Basic Member
    Not counting the wsm's/338/358, the 308 will recoil the most of normal short action offerings. Is it a big difference from a 223 in the same rifle, yes. However, a 7 1/2 pound rifle with a decent recoil pad (which Savage is) is not that bad. IMO a hearty 12 year old should be able to handle it. An adult certainly should be able to handle the recoil and not be scared of it. If in doubt and you want to stick to sub 300 pound animals, buy a 7mm-08 but the different won't be that much.

Basic Member
    Appreciate the input. I don`t think I was clear in my inquiry. I`m not so much concerned with recoil regarding my own shooting comfort as I am as to whether or not the composite stock on a 110 package will unduly flex with the recoil of a .308.

I have one of the newer 110's, it's the hog hunter model and the stock is pretty stout. I don't believe you'll have a problem with it.

Basic Member
    I have only seen the Savage advertising, but, it looks like they have made some significant changes recently in their plastic stocks to get rid of the flex. Would be nice of someone could verify that. If they did fix that I would bet a lot of people would not feel the need to buy replacement stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I have only seen the Savage advertising, but, it looks like they have made some significant changes recently in their plastic stocks to get rid of the flex. Would be nice of someone could verify that. If they did fix that I would bet a lot of people would not feel the need to buy replacement stocks.
    Gave one from Wal-Mart to my 12 year old on thanksgiving. He managed the recoil fine with 150gr loads. This one has an accustock which seems ok but still has some flex on the forend.

Basic Member
    Forgot to mention. If you are shooting from hand held positions then the fore end flex won't be as much of a bother. Just make sure there is a bit of room between the barrel and plastic.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    Appreciate the input. I don`t think I was clear in my inquiry. I`m not so much concerned with recoil regarding my own shooting comfort as I am as to whether or not the composite stock on a 110 package will unduly flex with the recoil of a .308.
    I've got the "lowest end" stock that Savage offers on my 110 Hunter XP .308. I get sub moa groups (nearly .5") at 100 yards bench shooting with a $20 cv life bipod shooting S&B 180 grain. As far as recoil itself, it doesn't bother me much, but then again I like mag dumping a 12 gauge pump before I shoot anything else when I go to the range.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk