Thread: Know what would be neat?

Basic Member

Know what would be neat?

It would be neat if savage didn't switch to 8-40 screw size and not tell anyone. So I have a mount that won't....mount. lol

So now I am off on a search for screws and likely will need a whole new mount as screws aren't usually sold separately.

Basic Member
    FYI, my local "Do-It Center" has a really nice hardware section with all the special bins and they just happen to sell gun screws. The have both 6-48 and 8-40 with various head styles. They even had matches to the exact screw head profile Burris uses in their bases. Didn't figure it out until after Burris sent me replacements. Just noticed the bins other day. Screws were about $.69 each here.
    Stupid is a disease with a cure.

Basic Member
    Good thinking. I will check that

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Chisel View Post
    FYI, my local "Do-It Center" has a really nice hardware section with all the special bins and they just happen to sell gun screws. The have both 6-48 and 8-40 with various head styles. They even had matches to the exact screw head profile Burris uses in their bases. Didn't figure it out until after Burris sent me replacements. Just noticed the bins other day. Screws were about $.69 each here.
    69 cents is a real bargin.

Big box home stores often dont have nearly the selection of a real hardware store. If the big box doesn't have em check a real hardware store. Our local Ace Hardware has dang near everything including specialty machine screws.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Just wanted to clarify in case you've never seen a Do-It Center, which is what it's actually called - it is basically a locally owned store like an Ace Hardware. Mine has the best dang hardware selection around. If it's specialty, they probably have it. Didn't mean to imply that it was a big box with the quotation marks. You'll just waste your time looking at the big box for this stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by Full Chisel View Post
    Just wanted to clarify in case you've never seen a Do-It Center, which is what it's actually called - it is basically a locally owned store like an Ace Hardware. Mine has the best dang hardware selection around. If it's specialty, they probably have it. Didn't mean to imply that it was a big box with the quotation marks. You'll just waste your time looking at the big box for this stuff..

Gotcha, Lotta difference between the Big Box's and a real hardware store. Heck the hardware store is where most of my gun tinkering supplies come from. Everything from bedding compound and bedding tools to refinishing and painting supplies to springs and screws. Gotta love em.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Yep, our TruValue has a drawer that says 'gunsmithing screws'.

I wish I had one closer to the house. I guess I shouldn't complain since it's only 20min away :)

I wonder if the head profile is important for scope mounts? I mean what if they don't match?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    What brand rail did you get? Try emailing the company. I recently picked up a Talley Pic scope rail, for my rebuild, and one of the 6-48 screws was slightly stripped out of the package. I emailed Talley, and they immediately told me it would be taken care of. Later that day, I got an email with tracking number for 4 new 6-48 screws on the way! No questions, no argument. Just great service. One reason Talley rails are my favorite.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I wonder if the head profile is important for scope mounts? I mean what if they don't match?
    The head on the Burris mount screw has a slight bevel to assist in centering the mount to the hole. I believe they are called slide melt screws or something. Important for bases, not necessarily for rings.

Burris had mine out the day I called, but USPS lost them for over 2 weeks.

Banned
    Hey mgbgalt, I just received my replacements from Talley. And instead of just the 1 screw that came stripped, they sent me 6! With the 3 good ones I originally had, I have 5 left after using 4 for my rail. If your 6-48 screws are the same as this, it would be my pleasure to send you 4.

Basic Member
    Thanks but I need 8-40 screws

Banned
    I sorry. I was thinking it was the other way around. I read your initial post wrong. My bad. Are they THAT style though?

I’d still try the manufacturer, but that doesn’t work & they’re the same style, here ya go. Several different lengths.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...4&toolid=10001

Basic Member
    I finally just ordered a base with screws on Amazon. No one else had one

Banned
    That’s where I got the Talley base. Can’t beat the convenience.

Basic Member
    I even use Amazon at times. I really hate their organization, but, like Walmart, you can't beat their setup.

Banned
    Yeeeup