Thread: Always someone better

Basic Member

Always someone better

This doesn't really concern any technical question but I thought it might interest you. Recently a guy I do business with was over and I happened to have the last target in the house and he looked at it. I shot a group .206 MOA, which I was pretty happy with. He said he knew a guy that could shoot a 50 cent piece at 75 yards, STANDING UP with a PISTOL and put 5 shots through the same hole. He proceeded to tell me how good this guy was and had a "special" caliber but he had to get a new barrel made for it. He said the bullet was dropping too fast to suit him and had to get a custom barrel with a different twist rate to correct it. I don't know if he thought I was proud of myself and I doubt if he understood I was not pleased with myself but pleased with the rifle. I imagine he thinks any rifle will hit the exact same spot if it is held in the exact same location.

Basic Member
    Special caliber.

First shot 16" canon
    Second shot 8" canon
    3rd shot 40mm
    4th shot .50bmg
    5th shot 30.06spr
    6th shot.22lr... all in the same hole.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sometimes people don't realize how shallow they sound. Sometimes people just get caught up and get excited hence telling a story of another great shooter. I think you impressed him. Americans are not gracious conversationalist. As I get older I realise more and more how true that is of myself anyway. The next time I expose my poor comunication skills here, please except my apology in advance.

Nice group BTW.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    ROFLMAO. Yep. One reason I shoot and fish as hobbies is because I am not good with people. Also why I am sitting at a computer so much (the pandemic hasn't bothered me that much either, except for reloading supplies :) ). Most of the time I have to read over what I type several times to get it to read how I want it to and it still sometimes 'comes out' wrong.

When I am around other people I try to keep my mouth shut, just to make sure I don't say anything stupid. I frequently fail and look stupid anyway.

So, I also try to give others a lot of leeway when they are talking.

Nice group BTW.

Meh. I've seen better...3rd shot looks a bit out of round to me. Try STANDING UP with a pistol next time.

Basic Member
    LOL I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets aggravated by the "one-uppers". There are times, I just roll my eyes and don't say anything at all back to them. It's just not worth the effort.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    ROFLMAO. Yep. One reason I shoot and fish as hobbies is because I am not good with people. Also why I am sitting at a computer so much (the pandemic hasn't bothered me that much either, except for reloading supplies :) ). Most of the time I have to read over what I type several times to get it to read how I want it to and it still sometimes 'comes out' wrong.

When I am around other people I try to keep my mouth shut, just to make sure I don't say anything stupid. I frequently fail and look stupid anyway.

So, I also try to give others a lot of leeway when they are talking.
    AWWW, I think you’re good peeps Chuck! Ablatively! Look at all the time we hang out? LOL!

Good gravy that “business dealings” guy sure was spinning a doozy on that one! My goodness! It’s actually quite interesting. For those who have studied/researched Human Interaction & lie/truth Detection through speech, body language etc., people lying or rather, embellishing as is the case for most “Tall Tales”, those doing it very often follow the SAME tells. It’s fascinating to me how taken a man & woman from completely different backgrounds, social clubs, history of being raised, ethnic background, etc, etc,... will often times exhibit MIRROR LIKE tells in lying. And when you you learn to spot these, it’s usually easy to tell. Can even pick up on it in written word, such as a Forum thread post. But man, oh man.. this guy was in WAY over his head, talking to someone who actually KNEW and could easily pick apart his story. What he was doing was taking bits he’s likely seen in movies with perhaps a shred of truth(maybe his friend just picked up their first rifle in 6.5CM), and he expounded on the image he formed. Filling in the spaces with things that SOUND impressive. Hilarious!

So, did you educate him, or is it an important business dealing you may lose if he is insulted by the truth?

Banned
    Oh, and I WISH I could muster a .206 grouping! LOL! The rifle, loads are capable... the man pulling the trigger IS, no longer! Eh.. I still have a butt load of a good time when I can get out. Haven’t lost that!

Great shooting!

Basic Member
    I didn't say anything to him. I've known this guy a long time, done a lot of business with him but he gets a little carried away at times. No use trying to explain rifle accuracy to him. He has made me money though. I get stuff cheaper from him than anyone else and he has never cheated me but I do keep a close eye on him. Others have said if he can do it he doesn't always give everyone the same deals, especially the old retired farmers that have been out of the game a long time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Oh, and I WISH I could muster a .206 grouping! LOL! The rifle, loads are capable... the man pulling the trigger IS, no longer! Eh.. I still have a butt load of a good time when I can get out. Haven’t lost that!

Great shooting!

Not trying to say I do it often, in fact just once so far. I have done 1/4" groups several times, not as a rule but I think the rifle could with a better marksman. I have enough 3/8"-5/8" groups too, sometimes even more with different bullets. Not every bullet shoots this good. just took me a while to find one that works very well for it. I am really impressed with it for a $300 rifle with nothing done to it and about a $235 scope.

must be younger them me. I would not be able to see it at 75 yds
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

I would not be able to see it at 75 yds
    Me neither. BUT I can still see the pistol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    Not trying to say I do it often, in fact just once so far. I have done 1/4" groups several times, not as a rule but I think the rifle could with a better marksman. I have enough 3/8"-5/8" groups too, sometimes even more with different bullets. Not every bullet shoots this good. just took me a while to find one that works very well for it. I am really impressed with it for a $300 rifle with nothing done to it and about a $235 scope.
    Very impressive my friend! For me, I’m happy getting .75” or below groups. And I have a whole lot more doe than that into my Savage rig. It’s quite capable of impressive groups with someone steadier & who has better eyesight than myself. Which is all it is. Mostly eyesight. I’m completely BLIND in my left eye from a retina surgery and reaction to the gas. The normal Pressure in our eyes should not exceed 22 mm/hg. The reaction caused my eye pressure to go to 90mm/HG. The pain was unbearable. As explained by the doctor, it was like my eye had a Stroke, just cutting off blood supply. (Sorry, but I like to explain as it’s not just bad vision I have. Which my right eye is also heavily corrected.

In my younger adult years I was incredibly accurate. Pistol mostly. But even then, my shooting was always from a DEFENSIVE point. And when I would train a student when I instructed, it was always Defensive accuracy. It’s not about putting one bullet after another through the same hole. THAT would not cause as much blood loss as would several SEPARATE holes; in order to STOP the threat in the quickest time possible. For me, rifle shooting was for hunting. And times as some fun just tossing lead across the ravines & canyons throughout the desert mountains of Arizona. 1000, 1200, 1500yds+. Nothing formal... aim at far off rock, or the discarded can or trash some cretan rudely littered. Group shooting was never part of my firearms/shooting activities much later.

The world is full of broken people. I remember watching my mentors,(aunts, uncles, grandparents, and my parents). They were very kind to broken people. When I learned about hobo marks back in the 60's, and that my grandmothers house was marked, i realized why there was a stream of kind old men coming to her door for a piece of bread or anything she could spare. They always had their hat in hand and were very grateful. Times have changed. Both the broken and the able are a different group today.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I thought off topic & all but...Not a problem.
    Last edited by Mad Dog; 02-13-2022 at 07:52 AM.

i attribute much of this sad misinformation to the spread of legalized recreational cannabis. You have to dream it up.

Basic Member
    Welcome from another NM shooter. That makes three of us in here now that I know of.

Banned
    Great State! Sincerely LOVED my travels through NM on several trips. Just it’s Government people are among the WORST!

Team Savage
    A little OT but, In my younger years, (early 20s) a bunch of us would sit outside and eat our lunch. This one Guy, can't even remember his name it's been so long, no matter what anybody did, he always did it better. His mouth was running (as usual) one time and I called him on it.
    In front of everybody and loud enough that EVERYBODY heard me, I told him that he HAD TO BE at least 200 years old because of all the things he had done and every time better?? CRICKET, CRICKET, so I guess I made my point. The guys were rolling on the ground laughing.

Back to the topic:
    Everybody has a one hole wallet group. Mine is a 5 shot group that can be covered "with a dime", with room to spare.
    No special work up, things just fell into place that day.
    From the bench out of my Remington XP 100 converted rifle, 100 yards, .221 Fireball that gets referred to often.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Team Savage
    replying to mikie statement.i know a guy like that.if you call him his story changes to another whooper.

_.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    This doesn't really concern any technical question but I thought it might interest you. Recently a guy I do business with was over and I happened to have the last target in the house and he looked at it. I shot a group .206 MOA, which I was pretty happy with. He said he knew a guy that could shoot a 50 cent piece at 75 yards, STANDING UP with a PISTOL and put 5 shots through the same hole. He proceeded to tell me how good this guy was and had a "special" caliber but he had to get a new barrel made for it. He said the bullet was dropping too fast to suit him and had to get a custom barrel with a different twist rate to correct it. I don't know if he thought I was proud of myself and I doubt if he understood I was not pleased with myself but pleased with the rifle. I imagine he thinks any rifle will hit the exact same spot if it is held in the exact same location.
    Shinola?

Basic Member
    Making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Fishing stories.

Name dropping.

All part of everyday social interactions.

fun to make something up they did, led them a bit and let them finish the story. See where it goes!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yeah, it’s gotten worse... but this was a “Broken” world from the start! A Fallen world... Fallen from God’s grace. Hell, we have Scripture, which is a “Play by Play” of what HAS happened, continues TO & how full of depravity this place will be right before Christ returns. From Nations in war with one another to the hate we have for each other.... Gay lifestyle now being “Celebrated” and certain lost “BOYS” thinking they are “GIRLS” with the Liberal Left HERALDING these disgusting actions. And, even the mark of the Beast becoming reality. You want to be freaked out? Read Revelation 13 and then read some of these articles from the links below. It’s scary stuff but all part of The Father’s design.
    Hey Dave, can we please keep the scripture and religious overtones to a minimum here on the forum. This is a forum for discussion firearms after all, not one to discuss religion, morals, etc. Thx.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain