Thread: Is this a shooter or something better?

Is this a shooter or something better?

Hi all.

I have what I believe is a Savage 99EG stamped with .300 Savage (please correct me if I'm wrong on the model).

Description:
    3838XX serial number comes back for a 1939 manufacture date
    24 inch barrel
    pistol grip buttstock with checkering
    schnoble tip forearm with checkering
    checkering behind the receiver (original?)
    front and rear swivel studs (original?)
    "extra" circular metal piece under front swivel stud (original?)
    white antler-looking disk as the pistol grip cap (original?)
    Stith scope mount with Weaver 330 scope - this looks to be utilizing factory holes w/nothing extra drilled into the receiver
    The stock and bluing appear original but I don't know the whole history.

Pictures are here: https://imgur.com/a/nmfoRDz

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Basic Member
    Is there a lever boss stamp?

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    Is there a lever boss stamp?

The stamp is: 3

https://imgur.com/a/dl8ysUs

Basic Member
    Thats's a nice looking rifle!! The Stith mount alone is worth about $300!! It used the existing tang sight screw holes and the rear sight dovetail to mount the bases, no other holes were required to use this mount.
    I'd be shooting/hunting with it!!

The EG was made from 1939-1960. The checkering is the side panels was not factory. The swivel studs are also non-factory.

Basic Member
    It is indeed a Savage 99EG - at least the forearm is. The buttstock looks as though it might be a 99R buttstock, considering it has a fluted comb and 3pt checkering. Can you remove the forearm and look on the front of the receiver? There should be letters or a number there - "E G" for an EG, "8" for a 99R. If it says "E G", you might want to remove the buttplate and look under there to see what serial number is stamped on the buttstock and buttplate and whether it matches the receiver.

There should also be a serial number stamped on the forearm. Compare that to the receiver also.

Once we figure out the starting model, we can figure out which parts are original or swapped or just redone.

The side panels checkering is aftermarket, as are the studs and pistol grip cap. Savage didn't do those in the 1930's.

My data puts the mfr date as early 1939, but there's not a lot of data for those years so late 1938 isn't impossible. The date codes on the lever didn't start until 1949, so yours just has an inspector stamp.

I'd say it's a shooter.. but it's a very nice shooter. Take it to the range and you'll have guys coming over to take a look. Not sure what the Stith/Weaver 330 combos are going for nowadays, but $300 at a minimum for that setup I'd think.

It may not be factory original.. but they did good work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CalhounRR View Post
    It is indeed a Savage 99EG - at least the forearm is. The buttstock looks as though it might be a 99R buttstock, considering it has a fluted comb and 3pt checkering. Can you remove the forearm and look on the front of the receiver? There should be letters or a number there - "E G" for an EG, "8" for a 99R. If it says "E G", you might want to remove the buttplate and look under there to see what serial number is stamped on the buttstock and buttplate and whether it matches the receiver.

There should also be a serial number stamped on the forearm. Compare that to the receiver also.
    EG and same serial number on the forearm, EG under the barrel, and EG and same serial on the buttstock: https://imgur.com/a/VoSuAVn

Basic Member
    Boy, would I have lost a bet on that gun. That gun is a model 99EG obviously.. with a factory installed model 99R buttstock last made 3 years earlier. That 3pt checkering pattern on the 99R buttstock ended around serial number 355,000, by late 1938/early 1939 they had just 2pt checkering. Though.. I have a rifle with it from 1945. Similar to yours, a special order non-standard model. The triangular checkering patterns on your forearm do look like the checkering that was added to the 99EG around serial number 387,xxx - but there was never a diamond checkering pattern on the bottom of the forearm that joined the 2 triangles.

I don't know if yours was a special custom order which would account for the side panel checkering, or just a 99EG assembled with a leftover 99R buttstock, or an early 99EG checkering prototype... the records are gone, so there will never be a way to be sure. So we know:
    1) the buttstock/receiver/forearm are all factory.
    2) the side panel checkering and bottom forearm checkering are unknown, I would guess aftermarket just because we haven't seen things like it before. But that's a judgement call.
    3) studs and pistol grip cap will also be aftermarket.

It's a 1 in 10,000 gun that doesn't fit into a standard category. Never say never.

For reference, here's an early 99R with the 3pt checkering on the buttstock. Slightly different than yours, but not a lot. The 3pt checkering on 99R's ran from 1932 to 1935.

Here's a 1941 99EG with standard EG checkering.