Thread: 243 Heavy Barrel Axis: rebarrel in 6mm creedmoor?

243 Heavy Barrel Axis: rebarrel in 6mm creedmoor?

Hello. First time poster, long time reader here. I’ve got a heavy barrel 243 in a bedded Boyd’s Pro Varmint with a 2lb Rifle Basix trigger. I’d like to be able consistently print 5 shot groups averaging under 1 MOA (or 3/4, or 2/3, or 1/2 but maybe I’m being greedy) for informal indoor range sessions at 100 yards. Handloading is out of the question, so it’s factory ammo for me. I’ve tried at least 7 or 8 types, and only 2 have performed at acceptable levels; 95 grain Remington Premier Accutip (which is out of stock everywhere right now) and Dynamic Research Technologies 80 grain, which is also hard to find but not impossible.

I’m thinking why should I keep trying to chase down mediocre 243 ammo? They don’t make match ammo, it’s mostly a hunting round. I could just have a gunsmith rechamber in 6mm creedmoor that has lots of factory match ammo available. Also thinking of getting one of those new Jard triggers that can be adjusted under 1 lb (I can’t get my rifle basix safely much below 2lb).

So that’s my situation, what do you all think? What’s the best twist rate for 6mm cm? I imagine IÂ’d be shooting the hornady match 108grain. Am I on the right track to turning my Axis into a sub-MOA tack driver? On the other hand, does anyone know any accurate factory 243 offerings?

I would greatly appreciate any input from you all. I know that this is one of the best sources for info on Savages on the web.

Thanks

Steve

Basic Member
    Your rifle may be different but I think the 108 grain is on the very edge of stability for that twist rate. My 243 doesn't like the heavy bullets. Why is reloading out of the question? It really doesn't cost a great deal to get set up and there are quite a number of good bullets available. I know primers are close to impossible to find but maybe you could get a few from a friend to try different combinations to see what works. That sounds like a lot of expense and work.

Barrel tuners are not cheap, but that is your other option if you can't reload.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Savage's ammo recommendation is the Federal with 70gn Nosler Ballistic tip. Not sure what you can find on the shelf these days. Lapua makes ammo for the .243 if you can find some. But, it is recommended for hunting so may not be as accurate as their match ammo.

Your choices seem to be:
    1. Stay with .243 and try to find better ammo.
    2. Stay with .243 and start reloading
    3. Rechamber to 6cm

FWIW, when I bought my .223 Axis heavy barrel I did not plan on reloading for it. I figured with all the inexpensive ammo available it just would not be worth it. I then learned that shooting the cheaper ammo meant 2-4" groups. Not what I wanted. I could get match ammo but I did not want to pay $2 a round for it. So, I bought the dies for it. Now I have a rifle that shoots 1/2MOA out to 300yd or more. 1MOA at 600yd.

The problem, as mentioned above, is finding primers and powder. I have not seen primers or my preferred powders for almost a year now. Bullets yes. Brass yes. These days there is 6CM ammunition on the shelves. Match ammo as well.

So, considering current supply problems your change to 6CM might be the best choice. If cost is not an issue I'd consider a premium barrel rather than rechamber.

I’m sorry, I meant the 108 grain is what I would shoot if I rebarrelled to 6mm CM. Yeah no way the savage 9.25 twist 243 barrel could stabilize 108s. Reloading isn’t an option because I live in a city apartment and there’s just not enough space. I don’t mind $2 per round or more for factory ammo if it shoots under 3/4 MOA or so.

Funny you should say that about the federal 70 grain Nosler Ballistic tip which savage recommends. I saw some available online the other day, but after shipping it would’ve came down to almost $80 for a box of 20, so I didn’t buy. I did shoot some other 70 grain ammo Nosler Varmegeddon flat base recently which was like 1.25-1.5 MOA. You think the Federal 70 grain would shoot better than the Nosler 70 grain? I wonder how much thought goes into Savage’s recommended ammo (which I believe are 9 years old if you check that page). I can’t help but think that it might be just a marketing relationship between Savage and Federal.

Yeah definitely gonna get a new premium barrel. See, I’m also thinking about doing a completely new rifle build with a new action in a fancy chassis like the MDT ACC. Also considering the MPA PMR pro which goes for $2500. But I figure with a premium barrel fit to the axis receiver by a competent gunsmith can get me about the same level of accuracy, for a lot less money.

Basic Member
    Let me know if you end up with a take off barrel. I handload for my axis .243 and am getting sub half moa.

Basic Member
    ^^^That's one bad thing about the 243, they are pretty hard on barrels. I have a 7MM-08 I will put on when this one wears out. I figure it won't last much longer but it is still decent. 5/8"-3/4" and a better shooter probably would do better.

Basic Member
    In that case, I'd consider what caliber I was going to use for the custom setup and buy that same caliber barrel for your current action.

That way you can at least buy ammo in bulk when it becomes available.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    My Ruger has a 1-7.7" and my Savage is 1-7.5", both shoot the 103 and 108 very good but the 105 are quite often in the same hole.

That's one bad thing about the 243, they are pretty hard on barrels.
    They can be for sure. Is the 6mm CM better on barrels than the .243?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    They can be for sure. Is the 6mm CM better on barrels than the .243?
    I would think it would be slightly easier especially if it uses a slower burning powder and creates less pressure. Here is a decent article comparing the two.

https://www.snipercountry.com/6mm-creedmoor-vs-243/

Basic Member
    I think that's why some folks migrated to the 6BR and it's derivatives. A little better barrel life than even the 6CM and 6x47.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I think that's why some folks migrated to the 6BR and it's derivatives. A little better barrel life than even the 6CM and 6x47.
    I haven't really seen a 6BR outside on competition. I've heard of some getting 4K rounds out of the barrel. Hunters tend to chase FPS first and accuracy second without much mind to barrel life. If I had the time and money to chase accuracy I would stick with the 6PPC.

I appreciate all the replies. About the 6BR, what’s the factory match ammo situation like? I’m thinking 6CM probably has the best factory choices of all the 6s, which is the main factor for me as I don’t reload. I know 6CM’s a barrel burner, but I’m ok with that. It’ll take me at least 3 years or so to burn it out, maybe more if I buy another precision rifle to split up the range time such as the Masterpiece Arms PMR (which isn’t that much more expensive then a Savage Elite Precision)

Basic Member
    I rarely see 6BR on the shelf even before covid. Right now premium 6CM is more common than anything else. I suspect it is because 6.5CM is being snatched up as soon as it arrives. Same with .308 and other more popular cartridges.

Don't know what it will look like when things recover a bit.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axisfanboy View Post
    I appreciate all the replies. About the 6BR, what’s the factory match ammo situation like? I’m thinking 6CM probably has the best factory choices of all the 6s, which is the main factor for me as I don’t reload. I know 6CM’s a barrel burner, but I’m ok with that. It’ll take me at least 3 years or so to burn it out, maybe more if I buy another precision rifle to split up the range time such as the Masterpiece Arms PMR (which isn’t that much more expensive then a Savage Elite Precision)
    6 Creed is plentiful in my area. Even when ammo was at its scarcest point I could still find some locally. Everyone else was crying about "where's the 6.5 Creedmoor" I was fine.