Thread: Barrel company that best cosmetically matches Savage stainless bead blast?

Basic Member

Barrel company that best cosmetically matches Savage stainless bead blast?

I have a Savage Storm in 338 win mag and I'm thinking of rebarreling to 375 Ruger. i've been looking at various barrel companies like ER, Shilen, etc and most if not all offer bead blast finish.

Have you found that one of the companies offer the best cosmetic match to the Savage factory bead blast or are they all pretty much the same finished color and texture?

Thanks

Banned
    Well, if you want everything to be same texture, color...either do it your self via DIY Cerakote/Duracoat(my choice), or good ol’ Krylon-a-job. Or, have it professionally done. (Too expensive & not rewarding for my taste. I like doing it myself. But then....different strokes)

Basic Member
    A lot would be determined if the alloys in the metal are the same, and the size / style or blasting material used. If you are that particular, just order the barrel non-blasted and after you install it on the action, take it to a local bead blaster and have the action and barrel blasted together.
    The only stainless action that I have has a polished stainless barrel on it, all of my bead blasted barrels are on blued or nitride coated.

Banned
    Yeah, sorry.. I overlooked it was stainless. But the above has been my account as well. Every SS barrel I’ve come across has been polished.

Basic Member
    I have a Shilen bead blasted stainless barrel and it is somewhat close, but not a perfect match to a factory. I will just say it would be good enough for me.

Basic Member
    Yeah it’s a Savage for crying out loud. Close enough

Banned
    Just because it's a Savage doesn't mean those who own them aren't any less proud. Whether someone has a Savage, Remington, Tikka... a River, Winchester or Mossberg. Having ANY rifle over one of the high dollar, or customs is what each of us has. For many, the low cost options are their only means. It's wise to be mindful of conjecture. Sixteen years ago I was as proud of & happy to be be able to build the $250 AK's I did. Just as happy as the expensive rifles & pistols I've built in more recent years.

We all enjoy our rigs to be clean & look as good as good as possible.

Team Savage
    I had McGowan make a barrel for me with their bead blast stainless finish. It didn't match my LWS receiver very well and it showed scratches easily. The next barrel I had made I just went with the polished stainless finish. It looked better on that action and it was cheaper to boot. Win-win.

Basic Member
    I have a little experience with stainless steel and I've come to the conclusion a brushed stainless finish is what I prefer. Bead blast is impossible to touch up when those inadvertent scratches manifest themselves. With a brushed finish, a little burgundy Scotchbrite polish and it's like new again. That's just me...

Basic Member
    Thanks all. I may just move this rifle along and buy another already chambered in 375ruger / HH from the factory.