Thread: Lower Velocity .308 Winchester

Basic Member

Lower Velocity .308 Winchester

I'm getting ready to start load development for a 110 in .308 Win with a 16.5" barrel. I'm assuming this short barrel will produce lower velocities, so I'm contemplating a Hornady 160gr FTX (made for a 30-30). Main use of this round would be for deer hunting, out to maybe 250 yds.

I feel like the lower velocity design of this bullets would work well, but wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts?

Joe

Team Savage
    I shoot several short barreled rifles and, IMHO, just use a faster powder (RL15, Varget) and a normal hunting bullet. I like Nosler Ballistic Tips or Berger Classic Hunter or VLD Hunting. The FTX will work but I would do some testing. I use them in a 357 Max and a 444, 20 and 18 respectively.

You are going to love that short barrel.

Bill

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    I shoot several short barreled rifles and, IMHO, just use a faster powder (RL15, Varget) and a normal hunting bullet. I like Nosler Ballistic Tips or Berger Classic Hunter or VLD Hunting. The FTX will work but I would do some testing. I use them in a 357 Max and a 444, 20 and 18 respectively.

You are going to love that short barrel.

Bill
    Thanks Bill!
    I actually have H4895 and H335 at home, so I'll give those a shot (they appear to both be a touch faster than Varget).

Basic Member
    Got home today and had a fluted bolt body in the mailbox....forgot I'd ordered it. Since it was an easy swap on this same rifle, figured I'd post a couple pics.

Basic Member
    Looks like a nice rig. I liked a short barrel rifle for hunting. The one I had years ago was the Rem 788 in 7mm-08. I changed the stock to a Mannlicher style. It shot really well for such an inexpensive rifle.

I'd just pick a favorite bullet. Any of the 150-170 gn hunting bullets should do fine at those ranges and velocities.

Basic Member
    A 125 bt and a healthy dose of H335 is what you need.

Basic Member
    Shot some Hornady Superformance this afternoon........4 groups averaging 3/4". Until powder and bullets are tracked down, this will do ��.

Banned
    Very nice. Certainly can’t argue with sub MOA, especially with factory ammunition.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Very nice. Certainly can’t argue with sub MOA, especially with factory ammunition.
    Definitely agree. I love to reload, but since components are so tough to find now, Superformance will be something I keep an eye out for.

BTW....as mentioned above, this shorter barrel is sweet!

Banned
    Hmm, components seem to be coming back by my account. I’m stocked back up on powder now. Found the 223 bullets I wanted. Primers are still tight...but I’m seeing them more & more.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Hmm, components seem to be coming back by my account. I’m stocked back up on powder now. Found the 223 bullets I wanted. Primers are still tight...but I’m seeing them more & more.
    I probably need to spend a little more time searching. I have an ok supply of bullets and primers......but I have a tough time finding H4895...I'm down to less than a pound

Team Savage
    I bet that little rig is LOUD! I had (briefly) a Model 7 with a 16.5" barrel in .308. It was damn loud to shoot but shot 125 NBT's very well. That's what I'd go with personally. Your idea to use the FTX's isn't a bad one. I've tried it from .308's because I had them laying around for my 30-30. Accurate enough, but not as accurate as the 125 NBT's in my experience.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    I bet that little rig is LOUD! I had (briefly) a Model 7 with a 16.5" barrel in .308. It was damn loud to shoot but shot 125 NBT's very well. That's what I'd go with personally. Your idea to use the FTX's isn't a bad one. I've tried it from .308's because I had them laying around for my 30-30. Accurate enough, but not as accurate as the 125 NBT's in my experience.
    Definitely loud.....ear protection is a must!