Thread: New From CO/Mod 12

New From CO/Mod 12

Hi from Eastern Colorado.

I'm a young dad out here, grew up on a ranch smoking coyotes with my dad's 22-250. Couldn't tell you the make and model of the gun or the scope either one, but it was accurate and deadly.

Lately, all of my friends have gotten into the AR-15 craze, and good for them. My best friend brought his $1500 rifle and $1000+ scope down for a little spotlighting expedition on the ranch, and he's a heck of a shot with a nice set up. He's been bugging me to get one.

My wife and I just welcomed #3, and I couldn't be happier, more blessed, or more broke. I work in construction running a mobile crane, and while I may have been a decent shot from the pickup hood with the old 22-250, I haven't put lead down range in a lot of years.

I don't like the Armorlite platform personally, and I've heard lots of great things about Savage value and accuracy. After a lot of YouTube watching and forum reading, I picked up a $370 model 12 .223 from a local dealer. I tried my best to put some decent rings and glass on it, ended up with a Hawke Sport Optics Vantage HD 4-12X50 Mil Dot IR. They threw it on for me on the counter with a "courtesy bore sight." Reticle appears to be leaning to the right to me.

My goal is to get back into shooting shape. I've got a big chunk of state ground close by that's overrun with Prairie Dogs, and I hunt all ship shape and legal. I'd like to learn how to make this gun tick and make it last, and maybe improve it a bit. I'm hoping the bolt and barrel are of the quality and weight that I could maybe upgrade the chassis and add a 10 round mag someday. But first, I have to learn how to get this gun accurate and get familiar with it. I used to just clean dad's gun, pick it up and go. My goal is to start pushing my range out a bit on those little tan targets and get to be a marksman.

Anyway, glad to have found this, hope to add some updates as time/budget allows.

MYT

Team Savage
    welcome aboard

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Thank you! Looking forward to the comradery of some fellow shooters and learning some stuff along the way!

Basic Member
    Welcome aboard, congrats on #3 and best of luck on getting back in the shooting games! Keep us posted on your progress!

Welcome to the group. You came to the right place.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Banned
    Welcome to our madness. Lots of good info here.

Absolutely! Lot's of great info. Been searching some of the archives and other discussions as I get more and more familiar with my 223. Very helpful stuff. Really appreciate the welcoming atmosphere!

Team Savage
    welcome