Thread: Savage Hog Hunter For A Lefty

Savage Hog Hunter For A Lefty

Need some expert advice. I’m tired of working the right handed bolt on my 308 Hog Hunter and am wanting to switch it to left handed. I’ve read that sharp shooter supply does a conversion but has a questionable reputation. Would I be better off buying an entire left handed gun and swapping my hog hunter barrel to it? I figure I could buy a 243, 308 , 6.5cm, etc / anything with a 308 bolt face and then just do a barrel swap. I really like the hog hunter barrel due to being short and threaded. A third option would be to sell the hog hunter and just start over with a lefty 308 but ideally the barrel would be ~20” and threaded, supply is also extremely limited currently. Thoughts?

Basic Member
    Buy a new gun

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Banned
    For the price, I’d sell and get a left hand.

Basic Member
    I don't believe Savage offers the Hog Hunter in LH. I'm a lefty and have the 110 Storm in 308.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Banned
    You’re right. They don’t. I didn’t even think about it really. Closest in left hand is the 110 Tactical. Which is pretty close, threaded barrel and what not. No fixed sights, but I honestly think those forward mounted rear sights, like on the Hog Hunter, are about worthless. But that’s me. The 110 Tactical with a 1-6x, etc. scope or Reflex, Halo, Prism sight, would be the ticket for hogs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    You’re right. They don’t. I didn’t even think about it really. Closest in left hand is the 110 Tactical. Which is pretty close, threaded barrel and what not. No fixed sights, but I honestly think those forward mounted rear sights, like on the Hog Hunter, are about worthless. But that’s me. The 110 Tactical with a 1-6x, etc. scope or Reflex, Halo, Prism sight, would be the ticket for hogs.
    I have a 110 Tactical and while I absolutely love that gun, there's no way I'd use it for hunting. It's extremely heavy.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Banned
    Yeah, it’s another 1.5lbs over the Hog Hunter.. sure. Not a CRAZY amount more to me, but I guess for some. I’m not so crazy about light weight. Now, I no longer hunt, but I did quite a bit...in Arizona. So I know about walking. But even then I wasn’t all about light weight. Not saying it’s right or wrong. Just that people are different.

Basic Member
    For the OP, just buy a LH receiver and screw your barrel on. I've built two LH Savages this year, a 22-250 and a 260 Remington, both with Shilen Select SS match barrels. The 250 is on a mdl 11 that I bought as a complete 308 rifle, the 260 is on a mdl 10 action that I bought online. The 250 is 9lbs 6oz and the 260 is 9lbs 4oz with four rounds in the magazine.

Team Savage
    "For the OP, just buy a LH receiver and screw your barrel on".

I'am right handed but wanted to try shooting a lefty action, from the bench, right handed.
    Picked up a Model 12 lefty repeater action from Northland, found an ambi stock and put the two together. Loved the feel enough that I picked up a right hand BR style thumbhole stock, recut the bolt cut to the left side and plugged the right cut.
    Love it!! Only problem now it, not liking working the right bolt on my other rigs and taking my hand off.
    You shouldn't have any problem selling your right hand action.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.