Thread: Magpul AICS 223/5.56 mags not compatible with savage

Basic Member

Magpul AICS 223/5.56 mags not compatible with savage

Magpul just released their 223/5.56 version of the AICS mag. I ordered one up and found it will not work.
    The mag inserts and locks in place fine, but rocks forward and backwards a LOT, like a rocking chair. When you have it loaded and try to feed a round, as soon as the bolt pushes on the back of the round, it pushes the front of the mag down and the tip of the bullet hits the receiver under the feed ramp. If you manually hold up on the front of the mag it feeds fine.
    Rifle is a 110 tactical that was originally a 6.5cm. I removed the original barrel and replaced it with a 223 barrel and replaced the bolt head to match. The stock is the factory accu-fit accu-stock, and the DBM is the factory savage AICS pattern.
    I called their tech support and explained what was happening and what rifle it was. He said their mags are not compatible with the savages as their DBM is made by accurate mag and made for their metal mags.
    I told him I bought this rifle brand new in the box and it came from the factory with one of their (magpul) 10 round AICS mags and it worked fine, and I have another 110 tactical in 308 and have two 10 round and two 5 round magpul aics mags and they all work perfectly. Also I have been using a MDT 223 AICS mag in this rifle with no issues either.
    He did not really have any suggestions other than it would not work with the savage DBM.
    So since it will not work, I sent it back for a refund.

Just wanted to let anyone thinking about buying one of these know this.
    I suppose if you are using a non savage DBM it may work. If you buy one and it does work, post here and let us know.

Basic Member
    I have a few of the new magpul 223 AICS mags and they have worked flawlessly in the 3 rifles I have tried them in. One is a xlr element chassis with an axis223 in it. One is a 10T 223 AI in a MDT XRS chassis. The last is a 12FV in a mcmillan A5 with a PTG stealth bottom metal. It is a 350 legend so I had to modify the mag a little to get the rounds to fit but it works perfectly. What you could try is put a stiffer spring in the mag release lever to hold the mag tighter or glue a piece of plastic to the front of the mag and sand it down until it fits just right in the bottom metal. These new magpul mags have been the only 223 AICS pattern mags that have fed 100% of the time so far. I have tried accurate-mag, ruger, and mdt mags and they all seem to have feed issues every once in a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    There is a FIX for everything. Simply need to devise a solution to keep magazine from rocking.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve101610 View Post
    I have a few of the new magpul 223 AICS mags and they have worked flawlessly in the 3 rifles I have tried them in. One is a xlr element chassis with an axis223 in it. One is a 10T 223 AI in a MDT XRS chassis. The last is a 12FV in a mcmillan A5 with a PTG stealth bottom metal. It is a 350 legend so I had to modify the mag a little to get the rounds to fit but it works perfectly. What you could try is put a stiffer spring in the mag release lever to hold the mag tighter or glue a piece of plastic to the front of the mag and sand it down until it fits just right in the bottom metal. These new magpul mags have been the only 223 AICS pattern mags that have fed 100% of the time so far. I have tried accurate-mag, ruger, and mdt mags and they all seem to have feed issues every once in a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, all 3 have aftermarket bottom metal or chassis, so they should work just fine. The issue is with the factory savage aics dbm. I am thinking most any aftermarket dbm or chassis should work fine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    There is a FIX for everything. Simply need to devise a solution to keep magazine from rocking.
    Way too late. Mag has long been returned and a refund issued. I have went back to using my MDT mag with no issues.