Thread: Axis upgrades

Axis upgrades

So I started upgrading my Axis 223 this is the direction Im going stuff I have:

Barrel and action getting cerakoted now
    M-carbo pro trigger up grade
    DNZ game reaper rings
    Bushnell 3200 elite 3x9 i had in the safe

Stocks im looking at and would like in put on or any other options to look at:

Boyds Spike camp with metal trigger guard

Oryx

Bell & Carlson

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant hit em View Post
    So I started upgrading my Axis 223 this is the direction Im going stuff I have:

Barrel and action getting cerakoted now
    M-carbo pro trigger up grade
    DNZ game reaper rings
    Bushnell 3200 elite 3x9 i had in the safe

Stocks im looking at and would like in put on or any other options to look at:

Boyds Spike camp with metal trigger guard

Oryx

Bell & Carlson
    I put a Boyd’s thumb hole stock on mine. Not only does it look great, but I have more control over the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by andyknaster View Post
    I put a Boyd’s thumb hole stock on mine. Not only does it look great, but I have more control over the rifle.
    That looks awesome !!! Did you bed or pillar your stock ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Basic Member

Axis upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Cant hit em View Post
    That looks awesome !!! Did you bed or pillar your stock ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No, I didn’t. I lightened up the trigger to 3 pounds and that’s about it. The picture below is 50 rounds shot at the scoring legend on a B27 target at 50 yards. To scale, that is about 300 yards. That is plenty accurate for me.

Basic Member
    I may be old fashioned the only upgrade I did was to put a better trigger spring in my Axis 223 - have over 1,400 hundred rounds excellent groups with reloads. Am going to retire (use on something else) my Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 that I bought 15 years ago. Going with a Weaver Kaspa 2-7x32 with Grandslam rings/weaver bases. It shoots great do not care if it gets dropped or dirty -

Basic Member
    Stock is a personal kind of thing. My .223 Axis HB is in a Boyd's Pro Varmint, pillar and bedded. It shoots better than I can, 1/2" at 100yd. Soda cans at 300yd are easy targets. It is less than MOA at 500yd if I read the wind correctly. 77gn SMK's at 2800fps.

I got a Vortex Diamondback on sale for it, 4-16x42.

Basic Member
    Charlie, did you say your Axis didn't shoot the lighter bullets as well? I thought mine wouldn't either but since I have been seating them to about what is the maximum length in the reloading manuals it is doing much better. From 1/2"-11/16". I am sure I am not perfect either and probably the 11/16" groups are my fault and not the rifles. I guess some bullets need to be seated close to the lands and some don't work as well there. I am not sure how far off the lands the 52 grain bullets are when seated "by the book" but it is a tremendous jump.

Basic Member
    Yes, and no. I never tried 'good' light bullets. Only the factory stuff and the Hornady 55gn FMJBT ($11/100 pre covid). They were just over MOA for me. If I wanted plinkers they would be fine. A decade or so ago the Rem 55gn flat base bullet was liked by the bench rest folks, but, I don't know if they had custom throats for those bullets. For 100-200yd a flat base design is usually more accurate.

If I am going to spend good money on bullets I want to be able to shoot near MOA at range, 500/600yd. The 77gn SMK's do that for me.