Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 223 vs 556 Case For Reloading - Savage 110 Elite Precision

223 vs 556 Case For Reloading - Savage 110 Elite Precision

Hello all!!

New to the group.

This site was recommended to me by Savage Arms because Savage could not answer my question.

I recently purchased the M110 Elite Precision in 223. I understand due to pressures etc., that the factory 556 is not recommended.

My question: Is it safe to reload a 556 case and fire in the 110 Elite Precision? Any issue with case dimensions? or any other concerns.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Basic Member
    For all intents and purposes the cases are the same. However, most 5.56 cases have thicker brass and will have smaller internal capacities. Be safe and load away...

Banned
    It’s fine to reload the brass. It’s also probably fine to shoot military 5.56. Bout the worst you might see some flattened primers, maybe a case will be a little sticky in the chamber. But safety concern? Not in modern rifles. I have yet to see ANY 223 chamber KB from say an m193 or m855 round. Just sayin’. Certainly follow precautions when reloading. Never load max charge in military brass. But then, that should be followed regardless of brass.

Have you ever seen any reload data 5.56 vs .223? Me either.
    Match brass. Fire form. Shave to desired length. Reload on.
    I shoot a really hot military load from a 10action .223

Cheers mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    EXACTLY! 5.56 refers to the Chamber Saami specs....it’s not the ammunition. I’ve loaded 223 much hotter than 5.56 in the past. Granted, it was used in my ARs. People that continue to argue I always ask, well....where is the 223 Wylde ammunition?

Basic Member
    This is one area where the military brass is usually larger volume than other mfg brass.

I still use Lapua just because of the number of times I can reload it. I got tired of less than 5 reloads per case of the cheaper stuff. Unless you get if for free or you have a big stash of it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    This is one area where the military brass is usually larger volume than other mfg brass.

I still use Lapua just because of the number of times I can reload it. I got tired of less than 5 reloads per case of the cheaper stuff. Unless you get if for free or you have a big stash of it.
    Yep.
    Lake City is preferred. Remove crimp, Size, trim, load and fire away. It will never hurt to anneal after ever couple of firings so it will last longer.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Hi Dave,
    Just an FYI.
    I call Savage regarding shooting factory 556 in the 110 Elite Precision and the Savage tech. guy said absolutely not because of the high pressures the round produces.

Savage does not market this rifle as 223/556 only in 223 and that is why I called them.

Regards

Basic Member
    If you look further Savage says to not fire any military ammo of ANY caliber in their rifles. No 7.52x51 NATO, no 7.62x39, no .30 Ball (military .30-06)m etc.

This is a liability issue. Savage will only recommend what is stamped on the barrel. This is to further prevent the average person from loading the wrong caliber round in their firearms.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    EXACTLY! 5.56 refers to the Chamber Saami specs....it’s not the ammunition. I’ve loaded 223 much hotter than 5.56 in the past. Granted, it was used in my ARs. People that continue to argue I always ask, well....where is the 223 Wylde ammunition?

A pretty decent read:
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

Basic Member
    I agree. Thanks for that. I like his other stuff as well.

Basic Member
    Sig77---Be on the safe and reasonable side of the question and just fire factory ammo marked .223 Remington or if you reload, stay within reloading manuals guidelines for .223 Remington. There is NO difference between the brass between .223 and 5.56mm other than the headstamp and 5.56 brass loaded for and to military specs as earlier posts will be a bit thicker in wall thickness, but not that much. I've reloaded many Lake City and PMC brass that was marked 5.56 for a .223 bolt rifle.

If you want a further read I'd post the link, but I have no idea how to do, but go to RugerForum.Net and read a posting by Iowegn, a well respected and knowledgeable shooter and gunsmith. Go to the e-Library and check out Iowegan's article titled '.223 Rem/5.56mm NATO Ammo and Chambers'. A real revealing, informative, and interesting article. The Ruger Forum's sections can be found by clicking the 'stacked' ._ symbol just to the right of a circled 'new' in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Give's the full skinny on .223 vs 5.56mm.

Should a person shoot 5.56mm full NATO 62 grain bullets in a rifle chambered for .223 Remington, alot of shooters will say it's ok. Old saying--'Let the buyer beware'! Following basic and proven reloading recipes with 50-55 grain bullets, accurate ammo can be loaded to various velocities fps and accuracy. I have a Savage Model 14 American Classic in .223 I bought a year ago and dead on groups can be attained. You don't need to load to military specs. I'll load a bit different for my semi-auto chambered 5.56mm's, but I'm not using them to fight in the trench's at an enemy shooting back at me with them either. If shooting factory ammo for your .223 rifle, a wide margin of bullets/velocities of ammo can be used if in supply. Don't fall into trap of someone who buys/attains 5.56mm NATO ammo because its all that is available. Savage warrants their products for a reason and says NOT TO due certain things for a reason. If you access Iowegan's post on the Ruger Forum you'll see why not to shoot ammo marked 5.56mm NATO with 62 grain bullets.

Ammo marked M193 with 55 grain bullets is nothing but the original ammo designed for the M16/AR15 back in the early days of development of the cartridge. In one of his posts on another question on the Ruger Forum when the subject came up, Iowegan advised that alot of ammo producers mark their 5.56mm ammo with 55 grain bullets 'NATO' for selling purposes. It is in reality a throwback to the early days of the M16, but ammo marked 5.56mm Nato with 55 grain bullets is nothing more and the same as .223 Remington. Just don't fire/shoot ammo marked M-855 5.56mm NATO with the 62 grain bullets in your .223 rifle. This is due to the longer 62 grain bullet and shape of its ogive when chambered in a rifle marked/chambered for .223 Remington seating more forward in the throat, even touching the lands. This is where the higher pressures are generated. Why risk well being and damage to your rifle just for the 'hype' of shooting full military NATO 62 grain ammo. Zipped up .223 ammo can be loaded, but with bullets more in line with the 55 grainers. Most of what I've penned here comes from Iowegan's article.

In my years of shooting, pushing 60 of them and my 21 years of law enforcement, I've seen plenty of "Johnny-I Don't Give a Crap' and 'Johnny-I'm gonna really impressive everyone' types toss established safety and rules when it come to firearms and many of the times it has resulted in damaged firearms and physical injury. Many of em will come to a range, shooting or hunting area bouncing in in their big tire 4-wheel drive pickup, wearing their baseball cap backwards, wearing a flannel shirt, and have a big chew of tobacco in their mouth or a cigarette between their teeth. Pull out their hand held or shoulder fired howitzer they've loaded the ammo to the Nth degree and have the attitude, "I'll show em what shootin is, what this baby can do"!!! A less than harmonious outcome many times results. This is stretchin it, but many times true, but the moral of the story is "Why take the chance."
    Just sayin!!!!!!!

Banned
    While I agree with much of Iowegan has said over the years, I wouldn’t exactly look at him as some “Guru”. I think this is a much more explanative article on the matter. It actually shows what even most get wrong, as it being a difference in pressure. https://ultimatereloader.com/2018/08...cts-and-myths/ Of course error on side of caution if you are not certain of your firearms. I can tell you I’ve shot countless m193 & m855 rounds in 223 chambers. And yes, I’ve experienced a “sticky” chamber with them here & there. But I’ve never encountered or even HEARD of someone having a catastrophic failure from shooting quality military ammunition. However, I did ALWAYS know what was safe in each chamber I used. I never just threw caution to the wind. I encourage research & knowing your equipment.

Basic Member
    I guess it's sort of like driving a vehicle around a curve, you bet a person may make it around a curve with a posted speed limit of 50 mph driving 80 mph, but why take the chance, sooner or later the law of physics will take effect.. A shooter may get away with shooting NATO 62 grain M-855's in a .223 Remington chambered rifle a dozen times or a dozen years, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do. Sorta like shooting 22LR rounds in a single action Magnum cylinder, ya can get away with it, but there are consequences. Iowegan is very knowledgeable, a person can go along with what he says or disregard. I've found over the years he's pretty much right on target. Not labeling him a 'Guru', but he makes more sense than alot of the 'cyber space hell with what's right, do what ya wanna do' crowd. Not putting you in there Dave, but IMO ya shouldn't be shooting M-855 rounds in your .223 rifle. Ya take care.

Basic Member
    Does anyone really know what chamber and throat Savage uses on their rifles? If they do use a longer throat then that means any 5.56 or .223 ammo would be fine in it. Savage also manufactures the MSR and labels it as .223/5.56. Do they use the same chamber reamer with those and the bolt rifles?

FWIW, I shoot Sierra 77gn SMK's loaded out quite a ways. I am still 0.020" from the lands. That suggests to me that Savage cuts a longer throat than the SAAMI spec.

If I were to recommend to someone else, and I was a professional gunsmith (ie, it is how I make my living), then I would never recommend 5.56 in a .223 barrel unless I personally checked the dimensions of that particular rifle. Just too much liability at stake.

PS liability issues would tell me than any modern gun mfg is using a longer throat on their .223 chambers just in case people load it with 5.56 ammo. That would involve some common sense on the part of the mfg, so, may not be true. :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Have you ever seen any reload data 5.56 vs .223? Me either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is all kinds of 556 data. You just have to look. SW powders has a bunch of it. So does Lovex. The maker of SW.

Basic Member
    I use LC once fired 556 brass in 12 FTR 223. FL sized, pocket swaged, trimmed, etc. Its 223 when it comes out of press. FIRED case capacity 31.0 gr H20 in my chamber.

Banned
    the guy knows little other than what the LAWYERS told him to say.
    YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT FACTORY AMMO AND THEN RELOADING BRASS 223 VS 5.56
    there is about a 7000 psi diff in the two ammo's.
    higher pressure is a POSSIBILITY IN A CUSTOM SHORT THROATED VARMINT RIFLE..not in a long range 1/7 twist rifle
    in the usa due to lawyers it is unlikely you will find 556 ammo loaded hitter than 223...just because so many rifles are marked both.
    as far as the brass goes, for accuracy mil brass is smaller in vol and less quality.
    one day when i was bored i weight sorted some mil brass, then filly prepped a large lot, then re weight sorted.
    ended up with 30 or so cased that had the same VOLUME. A lot of work, lapua match, ot sort thru a 1000 new win,

Quote Originally Posted by Sig77 View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Just an FYI.
    I call Savage regarding shooting factory 556 in the 110 Elite Precision and the Savage tech. guy said absolutely not because of the high pressures the round produces.

Savage does not market this rifle as 223/556 only in 223 and that is why I called them.

Regards

Banned
    poor example. road speed limits have little to to with a specific car or driver. more like generic aver car driver in poor conditions.
    in one state it is common knowledge that even the "safe known speed" is reduced to a fixed percent lower..
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage 94C View Post
    I guess it's sort of like driving a vehicle around a curve, you bet a person may make it around a curve with a posted speed limit of 50 mph driving 80 mph, but why take the chance, sooner or later the law of physics will take effect.. A shooter may get away with shooting NATO 62 grain M-855's in a .223 Remington chambered rifle a dozen times or a dozen years, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do. Sorta like shooting 22LR rounds in a single action Magnum cylinder, ya can get away with it, but there are consequences. Iowegan is very knowledgeable, a person can go along with what he says or disregard. I've found over the years he's pretty much right on target. Not labeling him a 'Guru', but he makes more sense than alot of the 'cyber space hell with what's right, do what ya wanna do' crowd. Not putting you in there Dave, but IMO ya shouldn't be shooting M-855 rounds in your .223 rifle. Ya take care.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdshooter2 View Post
    poor example. road speed limits have little to to with a specific car or driver. more like generic aver car driver in poor conditions.
    in one state it is common knowledge that even the "safe known speed" is reduced to a fixed percent lower..
    No offense pdshooter2, but I've 21 years behind me as a Police Officer and have delt with those who tried to 'buck' the system/law and physics by exceeding the posted/suggested speed limit around curves. Either issued a citation, help load in an ambulance, or helped load a body bag, sometimes zipping it shut. Sometimes having to advise love ones that their family member isn't coming home. To many behind the wheel thinking they are NASCAR qualified, laws are for everyone else, and thinking it's their Constitutional Right to drive as they please. Stay Safe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage 94C View Post
    No offense pdshooter2, but I've 21 years behind me as a Police Officer and have delt with those who tried to 'buck' the system/law and physics by exceeding the posted/suggested speed limit around curves. Either issued a citation, help load in an ambulance, or helped load a body bag, sometimes zipping it shut. Sometimes having to advise love ones that their family member isn't coming home. To many behind the wheel thinking they are NASCAR qualified, laws are for everyone else, and thinking it's their Constitutional Right to drive as they please. Stay Safe.

unsafe driving is unsafe driving...plain and simple. the point it happens in NOT the same for all drivers or car in use.
    i have on track experience from the early 70's thru the late 90's
    posted speed limits do not determine the safe driving limits, only legal limits
    rifles have a FIXED safety pressure min built in....not driver nor load dependent.
    done

Basic Member
    As I penned, I've delt with drivers in the past that thought they had it all together. Most of those had no regard for the safety/lives of others on the road, only out there trying to be macho, but only shows their disregard and incompetence. My scenario stands.

Getting back to 5.56 vrs .223 Rem, I have interchanged both factory types on numerous platforms and found no safety issues. My plinker reloads are mixed brass types, serious target rounds are brand and weight selected. A modern firearms manu. wouldn't put out a firearm that would blowup if you put a NATO round in it. Once the 5.56 brass goes through a .223 Rem die, its sized .223. Trim to correct length, I cut out the primer crimp, and load them up. Keep safe everyone.

Banned
    A custom, tight Target chamber..yeah it would likely see some dangerous pressure using NATO 5.56. But modern, factory Actions? I’ve never seen any danger. As I’ve said before, the worst Iv’e ever seen was a case stuck in the chamber. Bit over overpressure, sure. But other than, no other pressure signs.

I have also said though, it’s up to each person to KNOW their equipment. To KNOW their firearms & safety margins. The last 1911 I built, I built specifically to fire 450Smc besides 45ACP. 185gr pills @ 1350fps. That is a STOUT cartridge which can severely damage a standard or especially a “Target” 1911. But I use a standard SW1911 barrel & have it sprung properly. I KNOW my firearm & what it can handle.

Banned
    what you are saying is BASICALLY TRUE in the USA.
    99% of 5.56 ammo commercially sold in the usa is NOT OVER 223 SPECS.
    heck there are makers that mark guns 223/556...tho it cannot be.
    the safety specs and the small diff in the 2 chambers/rounds, means a blown primer, stuck case, dirty pants...not much else
    just be careful
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsonofbob View Post
    Getting back to 5.56 vrs .223 Rem, I have interchanged both factory types on numerous platforms and found no safety issues. My plinker reloads are mixed brass types, serious target rounds are brand and weight selected. A modern firearms manu. wouldn't put out a firearm that would blowup if you put a NATO round in it. Once the 5.56 brass goes through a .223 Rem die, its sized .223. Trim to correct length, I cut out the primer crimp, and load them up. Keep safe everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast