Thread: Savage 99 crack in reciever?

Basic Member

Savage 99 crack in reciever?

I was looking at an 1899 take down model today that had a thin crack running from the front pin on the right side of the reciever The crack ran from the front pin into the receiver. There's not much metal there to begin with so it's a small crack. Is this common? Does it compromise the safety or functioning? The photo below is a photo I borrowed off Gunbroker to show the pins I'm talking about.

Basic Member
    I’ve never seen this, so I would say that it’s not common. It will not affect function. I don’t believe that it will affect safety. If the crack were propagating the other direction, I would feel differently. These opinions are submitted with all the usual qualifications (I’m not a gunsmith, nor do I play one on TV, etc.)

Basic Member
    Yeah... That's a first for me. There have been a few very early 1899's seen with a crack in the receiver at the back of the bolt - one reason they switched from a straight backed bolt to a curved back bolt in 1908 apparently. But I've never seen one cracked up there.

The bolt locks up at the rear against the receiver, so I can't see a small crack at that pin really being an immediate danger to anything. But I have to wonder what happened to it, or what manufacturing flaw occurred, that would allow that crack in the first place. I'd be having a gunsmith look at it for sure.

Basic Member
    I wondered if at sometime a slightly oversized pin had been driven in due to a part or parts being replaced. I think I’ll pass on this one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timb View Post
    I was looking at an 1899 take down model today that had a thin crack running from the front pin on the right side of the reciever The crack ran from the front pin into the receiver. There's not much metal there to begin with so it's a small crack. Is this common? Does it compromise the safety or functioning? . . . .
    Are you sure it is, in fact, a crack . . . .or merely a scratch?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimFsh View Post
    Are you sure it is, in fact, a crack . . . .or merely a scratch?
    It's a crack. It runs from the pin through the receiver. the line run on top of the receiver and down the side. There so little space between the left side of the pin and the receiver wall that I can see how easy it would be to crack. If I get back in the shop, I'll try to snap a photo and post it.

Basic Member
    Here's a photo I was able to snap. To me it looks like someone drove in a replacement pin that was slightly oversized.

Basic Member
    Don’t know about the oversized pin, but dollars to doughnuts there was a weld repair. Don’t know if I’d touch that one with a 10 foot pole.