Thread: An Observation AND Question....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

An Observation AND Question....

Hello All,

Long time member here... I've been off pursuing other shooting sports- first F Class 600/ 1000 yd, then Shooting Steel at different places around NC/ SC out to 1680 yd.... best results under 1200 yd w/ 260 Rem Sav. 12 LRP/ AR10 Gas gun in 6.5 CM, 22" BA heavy bbl, tricked out, etc. and other stuff- Mil Surp, FAL's , etc....... So many guns, so little time ...

Anyways, I've built about a dozen Savages over the years- 223AI, 260 AI, 6mmbr, 250 savage. 308, .243, 6mmbrx etc. all either headspaced with fired brass/ scotch tape or with gages - whatever it took... lol so I'd say I've truly enjoyed playing with, building our beloved flexible, perfect for the tinker's amongst us Savages, etc. over the years with my Dad.

My 6mmbrx on a Fred's Trued Polished Sav. SS action, EVO trigger, PTG oversized fluted bolt, bushed firing pin, headspaced w no nut/ assembled by Mike Davis- BR Builder here in NC- has allowed me to win at least individual relays just goofin aroung up at Camp Butner/ F class in the past with an under $2K F class rig (no glass figured in that) vs $5K and above custom rigs with my crappy, sorted Horn 105 A max's back in the day.

I recently got back on this site after an approx 5-8 yr or so absence due to all the above and noticed its Really cut back- posts, classified's, possible interest in this really fun platform that "we can build it if we imagine it".

My Dad and I have talked as he's stayed active on here but neither of us understand what's happened? Compared to 5-8-10 yr ago, it seems interest has really dropped off, less custom, Ackleys, fun builds, less in the Classifieds, etc. where did everyone go?

I am wondering if its: More custom, new calibers in factory rifles like 6.5 PRC, .224 Val, 6.8 Western, 280 AI factory rifles, Possibly lack of ammo and reloading supplies due to Covid ... as a seperate topic and the universal catch all for everything this past 2 yr... lol , Or Savage Axis's cheaper and in more calibers, I don't know.

Can anyone help us understand what happened to our passion, challenge, pursuit of "building stuff" as many of us "old timer's " have over the past few yr??? Written with all due respect to our Savages!

Just curious, thoughts... ??

Basic Member
    I have seen in other forums a similar happing. And I was talking with a friend and mod on that site. He said it was lower activity because of a shift to the Book of Face. Long time members still use that site but newer members went to the app they use the most. But remember the book of face is not 2nd amendment friendly. That is my opinion.

Banned
    Not all of us have dropped off!

Basic Member
    I have seen the same thing across other forums. Just some people prefer the FB platform for stuff like this. And the folks that 'grow up' with things like twitter and FB consider forums dull and not very entertaining because they don't 'move' fast enough.

It is kinda like the move from "message boards" to forums many years ago. And the move from paper magazines to electronic versions, and even those are in a sharp decline.

Banned
    I’m not even ON the facePage, tweeters, InstagramR, etc...none of ‘em! Those social media sights are the DEVIL!

Basic Member
    I am old fashioned. I don't use social media except for forums like these. I don't like txting. If I could use smoke signals I wood. Or carrier pigeons but in East Texas they might be poached as dove.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I’m not even ON the facePage, tweeters, InstagramR, etc...none of ‘em! Those social media sights are the DEVIL!

+1

No interest in that Social Media BS.

It has contributed more to current social problems than anything else - with the possible exception of the mainstream media.

They both thrive on conflict.

Probably FB and reddit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d have more to input if I had a place to shoot regular.

I’ve never thought much of weird calibers.

Shot rifles long before archery. Which I love. But the last 15yrs archery has been my passion. I can shoot my bow 100yds in my yard. In town. Rifles on the other hand. No.

Since I learned to shoot, not really shooting but what those dang knobs on a rifle really did and how to use them my rifle interest has fallen back off.

Archery has taught me a lot of since and knowledge that I have taken into rifle shooting.

If I had a pile of time and money and 1000yds to mess around I would probably dive back into rifles deeper.

But back into what archery has taught me. If you can’t do it with the basics. Good solid basics your not going to do it with anything.
    Ex..
    .223-6.5creed-300wm you can’t do it. All the inbetween is cool but do they really preform different in real world shooting?
    I’m talking crap.. and saying this because these are relatively available.

Same with the rifle.
    My savage 500$ rifle competes with rifles 2-3 times more money. Same with my scope.

Lol same with my vehicle.

All in fun guys.

Gear is cool but is it functional?

O yea. I’ve been on rimfire central for 3yrs now digging in the worm hole.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Well how much longer will it be till there is no longer anyone left who even remembers any differences?
    We all tend to live in our own little world, rarely venturing much beyond it.
    But reality is that is no longer the world in which we actually live.
    More and more we are becoming a keyboard society.
    It is no longer necessary to actually shoot a rifle for example in order to form an opinion as to its performance level.
    Just enter all the pertinent information and the computer will tell you all that.
    Without ever leaving home in order to find out.
    Is this the modern day plan for herding us all into the corral?

Basic Member
    All of this makes sense.. Its kind of what I had thought. Im sure Im dating myself but I enjoy working on stuff w/ my hands, creating whatever I want to, fine tuning it, etc.

Seems there's still some of "us" out there... the FB/Social Media thing also makes sense...

Thanks for clarifying what I was kind of guessing....

Basic Member
    All forums go through slumps. You will always have your regular members that post everyday, but most join up to get information / instructions, and then disappear shortly after.
    I think I'm a member of 17 firearm / hunting type forums. Some I post regularly on, other's I only post on subjects that interest me. Some people use forums as a main form of socializing and post on every subject listed on them. I usually only post on firearm's and optics related subjects, I always stay out of personal or political postings. My views and thoughts I'd rather keep to myself.

Team Savage

I belong to, and participate in, a plethora of forums from shooting to automotive and several in between. I've been an active member of a NW fishing forum since 2007. It used to be a great place, scores of posts daily on all manner of things, and then came smart phones and the push to make the forum "mobile friendly". Following that, the owners made a FB version and the forum literally tanked. I still check it daily for signs of life and it will go a week or more with no new posts. When there are, it's either a spammer or someone who just joined and asks a question to which no one replies. I consider it a sign of the times.