Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 LRPV Action Bolt Adjustment Test

Basic Member

12 LRPV Action Bolt Adjustment Test

I thought I should share this. This is a model 12 LRPV in .233 caliber with a factory precision stock that has been bedded.
    These are 3 shot groups at 100 yards with 80 gr Nosler CC.
    The top row is all three bolts to the same torque in inch pounds from 10-60 left to right.
    The middle row is the front two bolts torqued to 30 and the back bolt started at 5 going up to 40 inch pounds on the bottom row left. On the far bottom right is a group with 60-5-60

Banned
    So....really no discernible difference.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    So....really no discernible difference.
    Not a lot at 100 yards but at 300 the 5 inch pounds on the rear screw was the setting that I’m going with.

Banned
    Eh. You only had 100yds listed. Should post the 300yd groups as well.

Basic Member
    30-30-5 looks good.

Never got caught up in torque screw tuning. Yes you can change group
    sizes by (pardon my pun) screwing around but, tighten it donwn and get
    on with some real load development. Don't let the action become a variable.
    If anything, go to the other end and add a tuner. You have a few nice groups
    showing that probably only needs a slight charge change, neck tension change,
    or seating change.....Just my experience on the 3 PTA's I shoot and two of
    them in competition both short course and long. When I mount up it's 50/45/35
    and other then recheck torque after settling in, the screws no longer come into
    play.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Never got caught up in torque screw tuning. Yes you can change group
    sizes by (pardon my pun) screwing around but, tighten it donwn and get
    on with some real load development. Don't let the action become a variable.
    If anything, go to the other end and add a tuner. You have a few nice groups
    showing that probably only needs a slight charge change, neck tension change,
    or seating change.....Just my experience on the 3 PTA's I shoot and two of
    them in competition both short course and long. When I mount up it's 50/45/35
    and other then recheck torque after settling in, the screws no longer come into
    play.
    Exactly!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I assumed that what he did, that’s what I did.

Basic Member
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    I assumed that what he did, thatÂ’s what I did.
    I actually went with 30-30-5. I shot this group at 400 with that setting. There was no wind and it was my last group of the day. This gun has been driving me nuts and it feels good to finally shoot some decent groups. Still trying to figure out how to post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by otnot View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I actually went with 30-30-5. I shot this group at 400 with that setting. There was no wind and it was my last group of the day. This gun has been driving me nuts and it feels good to finally shoot some decent groups
    I wont argue with that group. I go to a deer match once a month that's shot at 400.
    that group would earn you some prize money against some of the custom guns. If your
    rifle is factory, you could win every month.....I see the bullet and powder, but where is
    your seating at ?? Are you anywhere near the lands, or have a good jump ??

Basic Member
    I wont argue with that group. I go to a deer match once a month that's shot at 400.
    that group would earn you some prize money against some of the custom guns. If your
    rifle is factory, you could win every month.....I see the bullet and powder, but where is
    your seating at ?? Are you anywhere near the lands, or have a good jump ??
    Seating depth is bit of a sore thumb. When I received this gun back in May it came with the wrong twist. It was supposed to have a 1:7 twist but had a 1:12 twist. I just got it back from Savage last month and it has the correct twist but the throat is still fairly short. Jammed ogive is 1.926 with OAL of 2.482. That group was shot with an ogive of 1.858 and OAL of 2.411. I need a little more throat so IÂ’ve ordered a uni reamer from Pacific Tool. Ultimately I would like to have my ogive at the 1.926 at touch.
    I know I shouldnÂ’t mess with it but I want to be able to shoot 90 gr bullets and right now I canÂ’t.

Banned
    That is among the BEST 223 groups at 400yds I’ve ever seen, REGARDLESS of the rifle. And as Fuj said, being stock makes it even MORE impressive! One of kind, or diamond in the rough even! I wouldn’t even worry about shooting 90gr.

In any case, the PTG Uni-Throater works well. I recently used one on my Shilen barrel. I actually rented it from 4D reamer rentals. Great experience, & I’ll use them again. Think it was like $48 shipped to me. And like $12 to ship it back. If you are only planning to use it once, might want to check it out. https://4drentals.com/product/6mm-precision-throater/

You do seem to have your numbers down, and where you want to go.
    As Dave mentioned, you can throat it yourself if you feel capable, or just
    spin off the barrel an have a local smith do it. The way it's shooting it
    looks like it has a tight throat. I like to test ream into a different piece
    of stock then do a casting to check numbers.

Basic Member
    That is among the BEST 223 groups at 400yds I’ve ever seen, REGARDLESS of the rifle. And as Fuj said, being stock makes it even MORE impressive! One of kind, or diamond in the rough even! I wouldn’t even worry about shooting 90gr.

In any case, the PTG Uni-Throater works well. I recently used one on my Shilen barrel. I actually rented it from 4D reamer rentals. Great experience, & I’ll use them again. Think it was like $48 shipped to me. And like $12 to ship it back. If you are only planning to use it once, might want to check it out. https://4drentals.com/product/6mm-precision-throater/
    Thanks for the link I wish I had known about it before ordering a reamer last week.

Basic Member
    You do seem to have your numbers down, and where you want to go.
    As Dave mentioned, you can throat it yourself if you feel capable, or just
    spin off the barrel an have a local smith do it. The way it's shooting it
    looks like it has a tight throat. I like to test ream into a different piece
    of stock then do a casting to check numbers.
    Good suggestion. I’m going to have to do it myself. I live in a small community in Alaska and the nearest gunsmith is 165 miles away. I’m pretty handy and I think I can do it. But thanks.

Banned
    It’s easy. Just take your time. Don’t try to rush it. And check after each cut. Do you have a Comparator? I’m guessing you do. If not get one.

Basic Member
    It’s easy. Just take your time. Don’t try to rush it. And check after each cut. Do you have a Comparator? I’m guessing you do. If not get one.
    That’s the plan go slow and clean and measure again. Measure twice cut once.

Banned
    Exactly! I made up a little phrase I would constantly say to those I was instructing in basic pistol & even more advanced. It was for always checking for empty chamber as the first point, but same thing applies. “Triple check your Double check”, I’d say. Then I would rack the slide twice while looking at the chamber, then rack it three more times. And I would repeat that to students over & over again. It’s cool when I hear my son say it now.

Basic Member
    This actually works very well on a Savage as well as many rifles or other makes. https://www.accurateshooter.com/tech...torque-tuning/

I have used it many times at the range while helping out a fellow shooter, and recently at a match when buddy's model 10 starting throwing shots. He was able to finish very well after tuning the rear screw.

Works on two screw as well as three screw actions. I have 5 Savage rifles, both small and large shank and never try to shoot without performing this tuning step.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Bob Greenleaf (retired Savage engineer and long time benchrest shooter) did similar testing back in the day when Savage first came up with the 3-screw idea. Long story short is he found the middle screw did nothing to improve accuracy, and in fact tended to make the gun more fickle when it came to screw torque. He provided his detailed results to Savage, but they opted to stick with the idea as it was something they could brag about in their marketing even if it offered no benefit. Bob's advice was just to ditch the middle screw and call it good.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Bob Greenleaf (retired Savage engineer and long time benchrest shooter) did similar testing back in the day when Savage first came up with the 3-screw idea. Long story short is he found the middle screw did nothing to improve accuracy, and in fact tended to make the gun more fickle when it came to screw torque. He provided his detailed results to Savage, but they opted to stick with the idea as it was something they could brag about in their marketing even if it offered no benefit. Bob's advice was just to ditch the middle screw and call it good.
    That's funny you mentioned that because that was going to be my next test But that is going to have to wait until after my throat reamer arrives. I received some 90 gr. SMK the other day and it looks like I'm going to have to ream out .064 to be able to have an OAL of 2.555 and an ogive of1.970. I'm curious to see if the 80 gr. SMK will still preform with that much jump.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post

Shhhhhh!!! Now everybody knows!!!!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I figured that without even being an 11-TEENTH degree Gun Engimi-neer. It just seems counter productive. And I really do like removable magazines. Even in my Bolt guns.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    30-30-5 looks good.
    Same one I picked off that target.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Shhhhhh!!! Now everybody knows!!!!
    So now lets talk about barrel blocks and no action screws.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast