Thread: New Firing Pin this time.

Banned

New Firing Pin this time.

Since I now KNOW those 22lb flat springs will work, I’m going to try a 20lb. But while thinking about it I started wondering what else I could do. How about a better firing pin? Little heavier, to deliver more force. Got into my knowledge of steels & decided S7 tool steel would be perfect. It’s a highly shock resistant air hardening steel & is very resistant to heat.

Quickly had a piece of 1/4” S7 here & cut to slightly longer than my stock FP.

So the stock firing pin, the turned down porting through the cross pin is quite a a bit thinner diameter. Yet I found the Bolt head will accept up to a #25 drill bit(.149”). Turned the S7 down just a bit less for clearance.
    And I thought why not make a new cross pin from the Titanium I have? So I did. Center Drilled to fit the new threaded S7 pin nicely & next to stock pin. I’ll finish the striker portion & flats at the very end. After I heat treat the pin. The pin is carrying a bit more weight & coupled with the increased FALL I added, even with the 20lb spring, it should work nicely. More to come!

And complete firing pin assembly. I darkened it by dipping in Ferric Chloride.

Banned
    Cut the threads & put the flats in. The stock FP weighs 259.7 Grains & the new FP weighs 312.5 Grains, or 16.8 & 20.2 Grams respectively.

Basic Member
    Very cool looking project, put that pin tip looks huge. Will that cause a problem with primer ignition?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Very cool looking project, put that pin tip looks huge. Will that cause a problem with primer ignition?
    Thanks. It is quite amazing what a bench vise & small box with some GO/NoGo gauges can accomplish.

You are correct. I won’t turn down the tip until after I heat treat.

Is there something missing?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Is there something missing?
    ??

I was thinking you had pictures.

Banned
    You don’t see the pictures I posted?

Team Savage

I see the pics...

I can see them in FF but not with Brave. The only thing..and it is a picture with no dimensions, It looks long. Personally if I was going to the trouble of making a new firing pin, I think i would make it a hybrid between the new and the old style. Where the protrusion is set and there were no threads on the head end. You would have to start with larger drill rod though. You could experiment with pin diameter(under the spring) also. Then make the cocking piece to fit the size thread you needed to be ie...12-28 maybe or whatever. That being done now you dont have the spring dragging on the inside of the bolt.

Once you are done there you could start making bolts for rem 700's utilizing savage bolt heads where the Remage barrels would not need to be machined for the 3 rings of steel. Hoback Innovations!!! Do it!!!

Sorry. I got a little carried away.

Banned
    Lol! Yeah.... nothing really “innovating” here. Just happen to know a. Good bit about metals and be OK at making things from it.

I had though about making a new style pin. I want to. Unfortunately, I don’t have one to measure & use as reference.....or any of the associated parts for one. But, hopefully one day I will. We’ve discussed in the past, & I know you are more fond of the new style. I will say, the new style has been growing on me, looking at it online. But I simply did this for now because I enjoy doing this stuff.

Oh, and yes...it is slightly longer. Only. A bit..the picture is deceiving as the new pin is in front. It’s only longer at the tip. And there is actually less thread/flat portion, which keeps more mass of material. I measured everything & sized it like this by purpose. Better to have a heavier striker pin. Just as a thinner diameter in the front deliver more force to the primer, so does more weight behind the same size tip. Lock time is over hyped(which I know you know). It’s not an auto! I couldn’t care less about lock time. Still need to to turn down the very front portion to fit the outlet of my PTG bolt head; once I heat treat. (I had to order some more 309 SS foil wrap. Prevents decarb) The PTG I have fits a #50 (.070”) drill bit perfectly! My stock firing pin is .068” & slightly loose.

Basic Member
    Nice job dave. I am thinking about building another firing pin spring compressor and researched b7 threaded rod to use for the main compression mechanism.