Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 rum

300 rum

I have a Savage 110 in 300RUM. I want a 30-06. I am thinking that just selling and purchasing another might be the way to go. I don't know if a barrel swap could be done on that magnum or if it would be more money and effort than what it is worth. What do you think?

Basic Member
    It can be done. You'll need a barrel, standard bolt head, and standard magazine box. The magazine box might be the biggest obstacle, especially if it's one of the older models where the mag box is attached to the bottom of the receiver. Is it a large barrel shank action?

Banned
    Just curious...why are you wanting to switch? Most people go the other way! Cost of ammo, brass, powder, etc? Or is it due to the shear, uncompromising recoil of the thing!?

BTW, if you can do things yourself, it will be less overall. But it seems you won’t have trouble selling a RUM for a good price. And you can pickup a model 111 for a song & dance on the used market.

If it’s a factory RUM I’d sell it, should go for a premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    If it's a large shank factory RUM, I'd be interested in it myself.

I’d list it on gunbroker and see what happens. There are none listed and it’s rifle buying season. My guess is it will go for between 1 to 1.5k.

Basic Member
    Actually there's 2 116's listed on Gunbroker right now, and they're not that high. They're small shanks though, or I would have already bought one.

300 rum

Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    Actually there's 2 116's listed on Gunbroker right now, and they're not that high. They're small shanks though, or I would have already bought one.
    I did not see them are they 300 rum? I may buy one I’m not concerned about the small shank since it won’t be fired much.

Found them under “300 ultra mag”
    Thanks

I will point out, the actual selling prices are what I previously stated. Opening bid amount means very little.

Banned
    The RUM would be my choice if I was to ever want to get serious about Extreme Long Range shooting. That crazy 2 mile nonsense! Either the 7mm or 300. But I’ve no interest in the teeth rattling recoil. It is vicious!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    The RUM would be my choice if I was to ever want to get serious about Extreme Long Range shooting. That crazy 2 mile nonsense! Either the 7mm or 300. But I’ve no interest in the teeth rattling recoil. It is vicious!
    Its easy to have the words (2 miles) just roll thru your lips.
    And thanks to modern day scopes and special mounts, many cartridges can be (persuaded) to go that far.
    But id recommend seeing how they do at only a mere 1 mile first.
    I dont believe there are any what you might call (good) 2 mile cartridges.
    And i also dont believe the 300 Rum is even a (good )1 mile cartridge.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    I did not see them are they 300 rum? I may buy one I’m not concerned about the small shank since it won’t be fired much.

Found them under “300 ultra mag”
    Thanks

I will point out, the actual selling prices are what I previously stated. Opening bid amount means very little.

Type in Savage ultra mag.

Basic Member
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912755495

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907317012

Here you go. One is open bidding so of course could go higher. The other has a buy now price of $898.88.

300 rum

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912755495

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907317012

Here you go. One is open bidding so of course could go higher. The other has a buy now price of $898.88.
    That’s a good price as long as the scope isn’t trashed, Leupolds aren’t known for their ruggedness.
    But I just checked the warranty policy and it’s extended to all owners. If the G23c I have listed sells before this thing sells I’m buying it.

Basic Member
    I thought so too. I've considered buying it, but really prefer the large barrel shank so that's deterring me. Leupolds not known for ruggedness? I think you're the first person I've ever heard say that. They may not be as good as they used to be but I've always heard that's one of their great selling points, is being tough.

I thought so too. I've considered buying it, but really prefer the large barrel shank so that's deterring me. Leupolds not known for ruggedness? I think you're the first person I've ever heard say that. They may not be as good as they used to be but I've always heard that's one of their great selling points, is being tough.
    I know people who send them in at 500 rounds because they know it won’t make 1000. Considering the lifetime warranty I have no problem with them but I don’t use them on magnum cartridges.

Basic Member
    Wow, I've never run in to anyone having those kinds of problems with them before. Everyone around here always talks about how rugged they are. Not arguing with you at all, just surprised to hear that about them.

Thanks to all for the information. I will probably put it on Gunbroker.

Basic Member
    Wow, I've never run in to anyone having those kinds of problems with them before. Everyone around here always talks about how rugged they are. Not arguing with you at all, just surprised to hear that about them.
    There really isnt any point to arguing over it anyway.
    Besides, apparently you havent heard they also have a lousy eyebox.
    Ive looked hard and cant even find any eyebox on any of mine. lol

Basic Member
    I guess I haven't lol. Especially considering I have a few VX-3's and they seem to be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    There really isnt any point to arguing over it anyway.
    Besides, apparently you havent heard they also have a lousy eyebox.
    Ive looked hard and cant even find any eyebox on any of mine. lol
    I’m sure your being funny but for the new kids, the eye box is referring to how precisely your eye needs to sit behind the scope in relation to where it was when you sighted it in so that the poi will not change. And yes compared to some high end scopes leupold is subpar. Of course I’m too poor to buy that kind of glass.

Banned
    Just wanted to check my memory... I didn’t recall alluding to the RUM’s being either GOOD or BAD. Rather that it simply is what I would CHOOSE, if I was interested in ELR shooting.

Turns out my memory had not failed me, but thanks there chief..

Rather that it simply is what I would CHOOSE, if I was interested in ELR shooting. .
    For general ELR plinking and fun, a Rum would work, Especially if necked up to the .338.
    And that is considered minimal. There is a new Queen in town. A Lady beat all the boys
    at the 2 mile game shooting a 375 Chey Tac. Go big or go home.

As for the OP ? I would sell before doing a rebuild.

As for Leupold ?? They are good scopes, but I'll keep my Bushnell's.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    Well that’s not surprising.... The Soviets caught on to that a LONG time ago. Women generally made better snipers than did men. I can say from an instruction standpoint, the women I trained were almost always ended up having better accuracy than the men. Would make me laugh when the men in couples would talk about their GF’s needing a smaller gun because of their small hands & recoil, etc.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    I’m sure your being funny but for the new kids, the eye box is referring to how precisely your eye needs to sit behind the scope in relation to where it was when you sighted it in so that the poi will not change. And yes compared to some high end scopes leupold is subpar. Of course I’m too poor to buy that kind of glass.

I actually dont try to be funny, i simply repeat some of what i read on the internet.
    Realize if you can that new terms seem to be created for old issues and some of us get lost in all of it.
    Before the internet for example and the world became much smarter, we simply mounted scopes with a screwdriver.
    And the gun user would simply shoulder the gun to see how i looked to him.
    It might require a bit of tweeking one way or the other to make the reticle look correct as for plumb, at least for him, or maybe even her.
    And it might also have required the scope being moved forward or back a bit to correct any (eye relief) issues before final tightening with the (screwdriver). Torque drivers became necessary only because they started cheating on the scope tubes.
    So the term eyebox just sorta snuck in there somehow and left some of us a bit confused as to what it actually was.
    It probably happened as a way to get our minds away from the cheaper scope tubes.
    Hey, it does have a really great eyebox, and it tracks really well also.
    Perfect for my new 6.5 Crymore when/if i decide to really stretch its legs way out there.
    And of coarse some of the old loopys still in use by the some of the old loonys have bad eyeboxes, and it isnt even being realized.

Growing up we never had a term for it but I always knew if I shot my dad, uncles or brothers scoped rifle I’d have a different poi than them probably because I shoot left handed and my cheek would rest on the comb a little different. We all used red fields back then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast