Thread: 300 rum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

300 rum

I have a Savage 110 in 300RUM. I want a 30-06. I am thinking that just selling and purchasing another might be the way to go. I don't know if a barrel swap could be done on that magnum or if it would be more money and effort than what it is worth. What do you think?

Basic Member
    It can be done. You'll need a barrel, standard bolt head, and standard magazine box. The magazine box might be the biggest obstacle, especially if it's one of the older models where the mag box is attached to the bottom of the receiver. Is it a large barrel shank action?

Banned
    Just curious...why are you wanting to switch? Most people go the other way! Cost of ammo, brass, powder, etc? Or is it due to the shear, uncompromising recoil of the thing!?

BTW, if you can do things yourself, it will be less overall. But it seems you won’t have trouble selling a RUM for a good price. And you can pickup a model 111 for a song & dance on the used market.

If it’s a factory RUM I’d sell it, should go for a premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    If it's a large shank factory RUM, I'd be interested in it myself.

I’d list it on gunbroker and see what happens. There are none listed and it’s rifle buying season. My guess is it will go for between 1 to 1.5k.

Basic Member
    Actually there's 2 116's listed on Gunbroker right now, and they're not that high. They're small shanks though, or I would have already bought one.

300 rum

Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    Actually there's 2 116's listed on Gunbroker right now, and they're not that high. They're small shanks though, or I would have already bought one.
    I did not see them are they 300 rum? I may buy one I’m not concerned about the small shank since it won’t be fired much.

Found them under “300 ultra mag”
    Thanks

I will point out, the actual selling prices are what I previously stated. Opening bid amount means very little.

Banned
    The RUM would be my choice if I was to ever want to get serious about Extreme Long Range shooting. That crazy 2 mile nonsense! Either the 7mm or 300. But I’ve no interest in the teeth rattling recoil. It is vicious!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    The RUM would be my choice if I was to ever want to get serious about Extreme Long Range shooting. That crazy 2 mile nonsense! Either the 7mm or 300. But I’ve no interest in the teeth rattling recoil. It is vicious!
    Its easy to have the words (2 miles) just roll thru your lips.
    And thanks to modern day scopes and special mounts, many cartridges can be (persuaded) to go that far.
    But id recommend seeing how they do at only a mere 1 mile first.
    I dont believe there are any what you might call (good) 2 mile cartridges.
    And i also dont believe the 300 Rum is even a (good )1 mile cartridge.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Just wanted to check my memory... I didn’t recall alluding to the RUM’s being either GOOD or BAD. Rather that it simply is what I would CHOOSE, if I was interested in ELR shooting.

Turns out my memory had not failed me, but thanks there chief..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    I did not see them are they 300 rum? I may buy one I’m not concerned about the small shank since it won’t be fired much.

Found them under “300 ultra mag”
    Thanks

I will point out, the actual selling prices are what I previously stated. Opening bid amount means very little.

Type in Savage ultra mag.

Basic Member
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/912755495

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/907317012

Here you go. One is open bidding so of course could go higher. The other has a buy now price of $898.88.

Growing up we never had a term for it but I always knew if I shot my dad, uncles or brothers scoped rifle I’d have a different poi than them probably because I shoot left handed and my cheek would rest on the comb a little different. We all used red fields back then.

I have a 7mm rem magnum action I'm interested in trading for your rum if your interested. I'm trying to build and 7mm stw and it would be much easier on your action.

If your interested we could do a complete gun swap. Mind a is a 111 7mm Magnum very low round count, I've just got a barrel for an stw and wanna use it, mine is a small shank.

Sorry Jones, I forgot you had a small shank barrel. His RUM action is large shank. It is still the best STW action and mag combo though.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Not a big deal Robin, I appreciate the effort either way. I haven't figured out how to send a message to a member yet lol but if anyone here has parts from a 300 rum for sale let me know. Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Sorry Jones, I forgot you had a small shank barrel. His RUM action is large shank. It is still the best STW action and mag combo though.
    I don't see where the OP ever specified the shank size. You may want to verify that with him. I asked about it but I don't see where he responded. Early RUM's were small shank first before Savage switched them to large shank actions/barrels.