Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 rum

Basic Member

[QUOTE=Fuj';494277]For general ELR plinking and fun, a Rum would work, Especially if necked up to the .338.
    And that is considered minimal. There is a new Queen in town. A Lady beat all the boys
    at the 2 mile game shooting a 375 Chey Tac. Go big or go home.

As for the OP ? I would sell before doing a rebuild.
    Well a guy by name of Shawn did neck one up to 338 Fuj, and for some reason he called it a 338 Edge.
    It it so good in fact he decided he needed to build a better one, and i believe he calls that the Terminator, which it actually isnt.
    Maybe he should have named it the Ahhnold.
    As for Bushnell, they for sure have the ability to build very good optics.
    Problem is building them good and also cheap, which is where most of the consumers today happen to be.
    As you may know, Pa. no doubt has the highest percentage of long range hunters in the entire country.
    And virtually all of them use large binoculars on tripods for both finding game and calling shots for the shooter.
    Probably at least 90 percent of the hunters are using 2 spotting scopes in a machined adjustable bracket for that purpose.
    And of those, by far, the highest percentage of scopes used are the older version of the Bushnell Spacemaster.
    Im talking about 25 year old scopes and some much older.
    And there are very good reasons for that beside the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Well that’s not surprising.... The Soviets caught on to that a LONG time ago. Women generally made better snipers than did men. I can say from an instruction standpoint, the women I trained were almost always ended up having better accuracy than the men. Would make me laugh when the men in couples would talk about their GF’s needing a smaller gun because of their small hands & recoil, etc.
    Not to derail this thread any further but. Ridgway Pa has it's 1000 yard VBR shoots.
    This years 2 day championships saw Shelly Brenen beating the boys and taking the
    high agg. First woman ever to win overall. I just shot with Shelly and her Husband
    Steve at the Anderson Creek 400 yard finali at Chestnut Grove Pa. Pulled off a 3 way
    tie for third with them. Normally she kicks my ass, but wind was in my favor, and I
    won smallest group. Flags and wind socks were stretched out all day. With some of
    the best shooters in Pa, I managed a 3.98" group at 400. They guy's running the 6mm's
    were lucky to even keep em' on paper. Chair's were being blown over and cars in the
    parking lot were rocking. In the mountains they just call it a breeze.

Yobuck....Been shooting a Night Force comp for the long stuff. My 4.5-30x50 XRS for
    all the short courses. You might see an occasional 40X Leupold but Night Force seems
    to be on most, with a smattering of Sightron and Vortex GE's. It's a shame Bushnell
    never came out with anything over 30X
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    So, uhh, conjecture much..but that aside.

Pennsylvania MAY or MAY not have the highest % of long range hunters. I’m not even sure how one would quantify that information...the variables involved are more than I’d want to correlate. As for the the “older is better” argument: Of course each is free to believe what they want. But unfortunately...doesn’t make it FACT. As far as I’ve always believed(and still do), torque measurements for scopes, Action screws, ANYTHING..., was about having a repeatable tolerance for increased precision. As for scope tube material.... 6061 became available to firearms manufacturers in 1935. 6061 Aluminum was primarily chosen for it’s strength/weight ratio. Now, I can tell you that 6061-T6 Aluminum from say, 1980, 1997 or 2021 is exactly the same! The chemical composition is identical & only technique of manufacturing has changed for increased production. Now, it’s been discussed, why not 7075 Aluminum for its massively superior strength. In simple terms, objects with a thin material cross section, such as a scope tube, 7075 is far too brittle for the fatigue load associated with recoil.

And I know all this is Way off topic. But....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Not to derail this thread any further but. Ridgway Pa has it's 1000 yard VBR shoots.
    This years 2 day championships saw Shelly Brenen beating the boys and taking the
    high agg. First woman ever to win overall. I just shot with Shelly and her Husband
    Steve at the Anderson Creek 400 yard finali at Chestnut Grove Pa. Pulled off a 3 way
    tie for third with them. Normally she kicks my ass, but wind was in my favor, and I
    won smallest group. Flags and wind socks were stretched out all day. With some of
    the best shooters in Pa, I managed a 3.98" group at 400. They guy's running the 6mm's
    were lucky to even keep em' on paper. Chair's were being blown over and cars in the
    Really? Wow! Wind was keeping the 6mm shooters from even scoring? Crazy! What were you shooting Fuj?

Basic Member

Yobuck....Been shooting a Night Force comp for the long stuff. My 4.5-30x50 XRS for
    all the short courses. You might see an occasional 40X Leupold but Night Force seems
    to be on most, with a smattering of Sightron and Vortex GE's. It's a shame Bushnell
    never came out with anything over 30X
    Yes Fuj there are some woman out there who can trounce the men at their own game. lol
    I have a younger sister, now 83 who within 6 months time was the best smallbore shooter in the family shooting a 52 winchester.
    But of coarse that wasent saying all that much as for shooting ability. lol
    At age 15 she became the national junior girls smallbore champion and had been shooting only about 2 years.
    I know the target shooters like lots of scope power, one of my old buddies recently started shooting at Williamsport again after about a 25 year layoff.
    He told me last week he just picked up an old 36 power Leupold at a gun show. Im guessing the power had been bumped up.
    I dont know how you can deal with the mirage at that power.

Basic Member
    So, uhh, conjecture much..but that aside.

Pennsylvania MAY or MAY not have the highest % of long range hunters. I’m not even sure how one would quantify that information...the variables involved are more than I’d want to correlate. As for the the “older is better” argument: Of course each is free to believe what they want. But unfortunately...doesn’t make it FACT. As far as I’ve always believed(and still do), torque measurements for scopes, Action screws, ANYTHING..., was about having a repeatable tolerance for increased precision. As for scope tube material.... 6061 became available to firearms manufacturers in 1935. 6061 Aluminum was primarily chosen for it’s strength/weight ratio. Now, I can tell you that 6061-T6 Aluminum from say, 1980, 1997 or 2021 is exactly the same! The chemical composition is identical & only technique of manufacturing has changed for increased production. Now, it’s been discussed, why not 7075 Aluminum for its massively superior strength. In simple terms, objects with a thin material cross section, such as a scope tube, 7075 is far too brittle for the fatigue load associated with recoil.

And I know all this is Way off topic. But....
    Your talking about material type, but overlooking the amount, as in thickness.
    Tin foil thick tubes will crush, regardless as to the material makeup.
    Fact is that there are still some very well known gunsmiths having built world record holding guns who still use screwdrivers to install good quality scopes.
    As for the LR hunter numbers, fact is that is correct, but fact also is that things are changing, and who knows for how much longer.a

Really? Wow! Wind was keeping the 6mm shooters from even scoring? Crazy! What were you shooting Fuj?
    Crazy wind. All shots looked like random fliers. I shot my SA284 wild cat with 183 SMK's.
    First place used a 6.5x47. The people that showed up with 6BR's and 6ppc's struggled
    to keep from cross firing.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I dont know how you can deal with the mirage at that power.
    I still hear that a lot but it's a 15-55X. Mirage gets bad I just back off the power
    and recheck parallax. I shot the above match at full 55X. You have to love those
    cool overcast day's

Scope material ?? The engineers one day will do a carbon fiber tube.
    With the weight rules in varying classes and the drive for heavier barrel's
    people will buy them, damn the costs.

Banned
    No, I specifically mentioned tube wall thickness. Read again. Let me expound. Scope tube wall thickness of pretty much all scopes is roughly .098” +/- .020”. The reason for the slimmer wall thickness was precisely what shooters asked for.... WEIGHT SAVINGS! Any little bit gained, while still meeting minimum strength requirements was considered the “Holy Grail”. Has nothing to do with cost savings whatsoever, as 6061 aluminum is a quite cost effective material. So being, you are likely to find the more expensive scopes with among the thinnest scope walls. (Again, best weight savings).

I have a 7mm rem magnum action I'm interested in trading for your rum if your interested. I'm trying to build and 7mm stw and it would be much easier on your action.

If your interested we could do a complete gun swap. Mind a is a 111 7mm Magnum very low round count, I've just got a barrel for an stw and wanna use it, mine is a small shank.

Sorry Jones, I forgot you had a small shank barrel. His RUM action is large shank. It is still the best STW action and mag combo though.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Not a big deal Robin, I appreciate the effort either way. I haven't figured out how to send a message to a member yet lol but if anyone here has parts from a 300 rum for sale let me know. Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Sorry Jones, I forgot you had a small shank barrel. His RUM action is large shank. It is still the best STW action and mag combo though.
    I don't see where the OP ever specified the shank size. You may want to verify that with him. I asked about it but I don't see where he responded. Early RUM's were small shank first before Savage switched them to large shank actions/barrels.

Basic Member
    Crazy wind. All shots looked like random fliers. I shot my SA284 wild cat with 183 SMK's.
    First place used a 6.5x47. The people that showed up with 6BR's and 6ppc's struggled
    to keep from cross firing.
    I struggle with that even when it isnt blowing. lol
    And also a very good reason for needing a good spotter while l/r hunting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12