Thread: Savage 110 Ultralite feeding question

Savage 110 Ultralite feeding question

Hello everyone. After extensive rifle reviews the last several months, I ordered and recently picked up a new Savage 110 Ultralite in a 280 Ackley Improved for an upcoming elk hunt. Took it to the range to break in the Proof Research barrel last week and I’m having major feeding problems. It is only cycling a round from the magazine into the chamber every 4 to 8 times or so. After 5 shots fired, excluding one jam, I called it quits. Called Savage customer service and the gunsmith informed that rep that they believe it is a magazine issue and are sending me a new magazine.

Has anyone else experienced such an issue? I am quite surprised because Savage (and I’m sure all other manufacturers) test fire each rifle with the magazine included with the rifle. Any input or suggestions is much appreciated. Maybe it is indeed the magazine but I’m a little leery. I was using common factory ammo that many others have used successfully with this caliber Savage Ultralite – Hornady ELD-X in 162g.

And I apologize in being “that guy” with a first post that posts about a problem. Just haven’t been able to find any similar issues on this rifle anywhere.

Thanks.

Banned
    When you say “it’s only cycling a round from the Magazine into the Chamber every 4 to 8 times or so”, explain exactly what is happening. Little unclear what you mean. Is the bolt not stripping a round from the magazine? Is it jamming on feeing? Failure to extract? What is the exact problem. That’s very important when trying to diagnose something.

Yes, good question Dave and I wasn't clear on the post. The bolt seldom strips rounds from the magazine. While a small sample size, the ejection (both live and expended rounds) has been fine. It jammed once in ~ 15 rounds that I chambered from the magazine. The jam occurred when the bolt extracted a round from the magazine but it did not lay flat and became crimped on the side while at an angle while it was trying to get chambered.

While I fired only 5 total rounds, I ejected several rounds (~ 10 that I did not fire) because something was off and I just wanted to also ensure that the ejection was functioning. Note, I did not "chuck" a round directly in the chamber, all rounds were loaded singularly or in 2s or 3s into the magazine for the test runs.

Again, thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    When you say “it’s only cycling a round from the Magazine into the Chamber every 4 to 8 times or so”, explain exactly what is happening. Little unclear what you mean. Is the bolt not stripping a round from the magazine? Is it jamming on feeing? Failure to extract? What is the exact problem. That’s very important when trying to diagnose something.
    Thank you Dave. I wasn’t very clear in my post. The bolt is generally NOT stripping a round from the magazine. I tried various scenarios using 1, 2, or 3 rounds in the magazine. I also did not “chuck” a round in the chamber directly but instead always used the magazine. Ejection seems to be fine on my small sample size. I was able to eject the 5 fired rounds along with ~ 10 other live rounds that I chambered. I became a little leery which is why I was cycling/ejecting some live rounds rather than just firing all chambered rounds.

In the 1 jam instance, the bolt stripped the round from the magazine but the round was placed at an angle and the cartridge was crimped. It did not lodge the round parallel in the chamber.

This 110 ultralite has many great reviews but one item that has popped up is the magazine. In my case with this rifle, it sure doesn’t want to be inserted into the rifle. Takes effort to make it flush so that the front tab “clicks” into place and even then doesn’t really feel that solid and not like any bolt action that I’ve owned or fired.

Thanks for your input.

I apologize for the duplicate response...forgot that posts might need to be approved/reviewed beforehand. Thanks.

Basic Member
    It does seem to me that it is probably a magazine issue or feed lip issue.

Banned
    Yes, I would immediately look at the magazine. You said they are sending you a new magazine, yes? Also, I’d have at least one other type of ammunition when you test it again. While I don’t believe ammo is a likely suspect in your situation, as a rule of thumb, I don’t like trying to diagnose problems when only one type of ammo was used. Seen it too many times; a person chasing their tail, only to find out they had been using the same ammo the whole time & IT was the culprit!

Thanks for the input. I’m hoping it is just a magazine issue and not something else. Yes, Savage is sending a new mag. Completely agree that using just 1 ammo config to test isn’t ideal. But that factory Hornady 162g has been used extensively and successfully in the 110 Ultralite 280 AI from what I’ve read. I had a couple different custom ammo elk loads made for me by Hendershots that I planned to test for accuracy after fully breaking in the Proof Research barrel but at almost $5 a round couldn’t do it!!! But if still not feeding next time I’ll throw my $5 rounds in to test.

I will reply later with follow-up once resolved in order to help others out. Thanks.

Just a follow-up to my original post.

Received a new magazine from Savage yesterday. Went to the range this morning. Loaded, fed, and shot 14 rounds of the same factory ammo successfully. No feeding or chambering problems at all so it was clearly the magazine causing the issue. The Proof Research barrel is now broken in and next is to put some custom ammo through it to finalize sighting in the rifle. Then time to introduce is to an elk! Thanks.

Banned
    Awesome! Glad it worked out.