Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are you fond of Savage rifles?

Basic Member

Best bang for the buck. 10fcp with 5r barrel, $400 new. Mostly used for plinking and steel plates at the farm. At the time you could not touch a used Remington for that.

I love my savages. Out of all the ones I’ve owned I’ve only ever had one that wouldn’t group. I now have a Savage 12FV in 6.5 creedmoor that is a tack driver, paid $520 new from cabelas. Can’t beat them in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    DIY!!! But the trigger system sucks. I have 5 actions and 10 barrels, 4 of the actions have aftermarket triggers and none are under 1 1/2 #. Makes BR a challenge.
    The Accutrigger is one reason I came back to Savage rifles after trying Tikka, Ruger, Howa and Remingtons. To each their own I guess.

Aside from the Accutrigger, being able to do barrel swaps and other basic work in my garage is a big plus. The newest plastic stocks are fantastic too. Fit me like a glove and really soak up recoil. No other brand of rifles has given me consistent out of the box sub-MOA accuracy like Savages have. I went all the way around the block in sub-$1k hunting rifles over the past 2-3 years and I'm back to owning one Savage stainless short action LWS with two barrels - one in 7mm-08 for deer and one in .284 Win for elk.

Basic Member
    I started with a used Axis in 223 purchased in Aug. of 2020 which then led to a Model 10 also purchased used chambered in 223. big improvement over the Axis. It now sports a Boyds Spike Camp stock. Now I also have a Model 11 barreled action that I am working on as a target rifle. It was a 243 but thinking of a rebarreled into 6BR and also using a Richards Microfit Field Trekker stock. Having a great time and learning much with this stock fitting.

Team Savage
    Funny thing about Richard's Micro-Fit stocks. Some folks think they're junk. Depends on what you get. Had a couple that at first sight, made you want to puke!! Next time, not too bad.
    Any work you put into one of their stocks makes it YOURS!! I have/had probably 8/10 so far and will probably get a few more over time.

The advantage of the Savage platform is when it comes to trying another caliber, barrel pre fit and bolt head as needed. Sure beats shipping your rig out to a smith and waiting "in line" like Remington or some of the other gun builders. And swapping a barrel or two on a Savage makes the next one pretty easy.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Yeah, Remington got in on the fun of Savage. The Remage mimics the Savage barrel swap,
    then there's the Remington 783 Savage clone.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Funny thing about Richard's Micro-Fit stocks. Some folks thing they're junk. Depends on what you get. Had a couple that at first sight, made you want to puke!! Next time, not too bad.
    Any work you put into one of their stocks makes it YOURS!! I have/had probably 8/10 so far and will probably get a few more over time.
    For certain this is going to involve some work with fitting and sanding but as you say, once finished it will be all mine. The goodness and the mistakes! At this point I am enjoying the heck out of it and really Love the way it feels when I shoulder it.

Still not certain which barrel I will use or which cal. My friends are telling me 6BR, I'm thinking maybe 6 ARC or even 250 Savage just to be different. The 6 ARC because I already have about 400 pcs of once fired brass that has been given to me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Yeah, Remington got in on the fun of Savage. The Remage mimics the Savage barrel swap,
    then there's the Remington 783 Savage clone.
    Apparently they didnt get in early enough Fuj. lol

I like guns for one reason, i enjoy hunting and shooting with them.
    We pay people to mow our grass, and we pay people to build our guns.
    That way they can also pay people to mow their grass.
    With my spare time which i now have lots of, i go fishing, in fact untill fairly recently i got paid very well to go fishing.
    When the boat needs fixing i pay for that also, and then that guy can have his grass mowed as well.

Banned
    Nothing wrong with that philosophy. Although it’s not society’s responsibility to make sure a person can make a living doing what they love. I never EXPECTED people to buy my knives so that I could concentrate on making knives for a living. There is also nothing wrong with doing things one’s self, if capable. ESPECIALLY when one does not have much money. Example being, I could never afford the kind of knives I now make! So I researched & taught myself how to make them. Again though, I didn’t start selling them for many hundreds of dollars like so many do. Knifesmiths charge insane amounts of money because that is the only way they can make a living. Now there is something wrong with telling someone they aren’t good enough to build such & such, and to have a so called “professional” don’t. Unfortunately that happens quite frequently. Always by so called professionals, and those who are unable or unwilling to DO themselves. It happens here even! For those who are able to BUY, awesome! Just don’t come down on those who like to take pride in their own DIY projects.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    There is also nothing wrong with doing things one’s self, if capable. ESPECIALLY when one does not have much money.
    So I researched & taught myself how to make them.
    Now there is something wrong with telling someone they aren’t good enough to build such & such,
    Unfortunately that happens quite frequently. Always by so called professionals, and those who are unable or unwilling to DO themselves. It happens here even! For those who are able to BUY, awesome! Just don’t come down on those who like to take pride in their own DIY projects.
    Well said.
    I have zero experience inletting and building a stock but I have a willingness to try. What is the worst that can happen? I waste a lot of time and ruin a piece of wood that cost some money? So what, the experience of trying to me is more valuable than the cost of the wood. Then once finished I can take pride in my work no matter how it turns out. I will have the experience of trying at least and I will have that for the rest of my life.

Basic Member
    Well Dave, i dont recall anybody telling you or anyone else here you werent good enough to do what you do.
    But i do recall things being said about hiring (professionals).
    We all have our opinions for what ever reasons we have them, wether legitimate or not.
    I always worked hard at what i did and made a good living for my family while doing so.
    And its simply my opinion that others should have that opportunity as well.
    And as busy as the good gunsmiths i know, or even know of are, id say lots of others feel the same way.

Basic Member
    Fairly accurate out of the box with a little work. BUT, savage magazine system sucks a horses arse! All 5 of my savages, 2 308’s, 6.5 CM, 338 LM and 243 can’t complete a full magazine shooting without dislodging. On my last savage, sold all but the 110 308 FCP. Once I get the rifle I want, I’ll sell my last savage. All of my savages are from before there new chassis system. Don’t know if savage corrected the magazines on the newer models.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Fairly accurate out of the box with a little work. BUT, savage magazine system sucks a horses arse! All 5 of my savages, 2 308’s, 6.5 CM, 338 LM and 243 can’t complete a full magazine shooting without dislodging. On my last savage, sold all but the 110 308 FCP. Once I get the rifle I want, I’ll sell my last savage. All of my savages are from before there new chassis system. Don’t know if savage corrected the magazines on the newer models.
    Savage mag feed issues are an easy fix. Give me 5 minutes and a pair of pliers and I can get any Savage magazine to feed perfectly.

Basic Member
    Yep, I had problems with the Axis mag (.223). Feeding worked well. The mag would drop out every now and then. Frustrating. Just don't understand why such a simple part is so unreliable, especially when using cartridges proven to work well in magazines. And why 'invent' a new mag design when the military stuff is out there. Just take that existing design, cut to fit the stock.

I guess I do know the answer. Cost. The addition of a decent mag well and latch would cost a few cents more than a molded plastic lip and retainer.

Basic Member
    I put my 10T 308 in a cadex chassis that used AICS mags. Worked fine. One other issue I had on all my savage rifles is the floating bolt. Try to fast chambering and it would bind. Every time on all my savage rifles.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Savage mag feed issues are an easy fix. Give me 5 minutes and a pair of pliers and I can get any Savage magazine to feed perfectly.
    Tell us how its done!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Banned
    I believe he is pointing to the process of bending/manipulating the magazine feed lips. I’m not sure it’s always quite THAT simple. However, those familiar with the Savage system surely can fix most issues. Just as those who have a wide knowledge of firearms can remedy about any problem that may run into.

Basic Member
    Yep. Knew a guy who could fix just about any magazine issue on any firearm. There were limits. Short and fat were sometimes just not doable.

Savage is way ahead of the rest of the pack in the models they are willing to produce in left hand configuration to accommodate us southpaws. At least with Savage I don't feel so much like a second class citizen as I do with all the others, even Ruger and Remington. This has made me a very happy and LOYAL Savage man for decades now. I have purchased more than one man honestly needs, but thank God my wife won't know that until I'm gone. Keep up the good work Savage!

Basic Member

ambi safety

I'm right handed leaning to ambidextrous person
    I'm also left eye dominant.
    It forced from early age to shoot left handed.
    Savage's safety allows me to use right handed guns with ease.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Yep, I had problems with the Axis mag (.223). Feeding worked well. The mag would drop out every now and then. Frustrating. Just don't understand why such a simple part is so unreliable, especially when using cartridges proven to work well in magazines. And why 'invent' a new mag design when the military stuff is out there. Just take that existing design, cut to fit the stock.

I guess I do know the answer. Cost. The addition of a decent mag well and latch would cost a few cents more than a molded plastic lip and retainer.
    I`ll bet 90% ( at least ) of the complaints I`ve seen posted concerning Savage rifles are concerned with magazine/feed functions.What I`ve rarely seen (really can`t remember the last one I saw) is a negative comment about the ability of Savage rifles to put bullets on targets. If one considers the complaints that Savage customer service has no doubt received concerning their factory magazines, it`s hard to imagine why Savage hasn`t made it a priority to address this. Frustrating the ever lovin` hell out of customers is not the way to get rifles sold!

My first rifle, at age 11 or so, was Savage/Stevens single shot .22. That isn't what sucked me in 50 years later though.
    I had decided I wanted a 17HMR rifle. I fell in love with the 93 BTVSS with a Boyd's stock. I bought one from Reed's, but they never sent it. They used my money for 6 weeks and then said 'sorry' and refunded me. Told me they were back ordered.
    I ended up with a 93R17 in stainless. I'm not sure yet if it deserves a Boyd's stock. I need to put another 4 or 5 hundred rounds through it.
    I thought, a few months ago, I had better get a center-fire rifle. Never having owned one. The Savage price point is wonderful. I ended up with an Axis II in .223. Love the gun.
    Yes, beside some magazine issues in the 17 cal, these are nice guns. They shoot well, but not automatically, so you get an opportunity to up your skill level......

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeav View Post
    My first rifle, at age 11 or so, was Savage/Stevens single shot .22. That isn't what sucked me in 50 years later though.
    I had decided I wanted a 17HMR rifle. I fell in love with the 93 BTVSS with a Boyd's stock. I bought one from Reed's, but they never sent it. They used my money for 6 weeks and then said 'sorry' and refunded me. Told me they were back ordered.
    I ended up with a 93R17 in stainless. I'm not sure yet if it deserves a Boyd's stock. I need to put another 4 or 5 hundred rounds through it.
    I thought, a few months ago, I had better get a center-fire rifle. Never having owned one. The Savage price point is wonderful. I ended up with an Axis II in .223. Love the gun.
    Yes, beside some magazine issues in the 17 cal, these are nice guns. They shoot well, but not automatically, so you get an opportunity to up your skill level......
    My 93R17 FV is a much more challenging gun to shoot with precision ( sub-MOA groups) at 100 yards than my 110 in .223. It`s not hard to find posts addressing inconsistencies in ammo quality in .17HMR which no doubt contributes to the challenge. Unfortunately no match grade .17HMR ammo is in the offing.

Made in the USA

Banned
    Here, here Jim! The Savage 110 IS America’s rifle!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast