Thread: 30-06 to 300rum

Basic Member

30-06 to 300rum

Hey folks I’ve been looking around and I can’t find the answers I need. I have a model 110 chambered in 30-06. Can I debarred this for a 300rum and what all is needed? I know a new barrel but what about the bolt face?

Thanks

You will need the Magnum bolt face (.540). And you'll want to make sure what shank size you have on the 30-06 in comparison to what shank size the 300 RUM is, or if you can get it in different shank sizes. 30-06 is usually a small shank and the magnums usually use a large shank.

Just something you'll want to make sure of... Also, if DIY you'll need the wrenches to take the barrel off, and I recommend the go/no go gauges too.

Banned
    Hmm... what’s with the rash of RUM threads recently?

Doesn't matter if it’s Small or Large Shank, but as SageRat pointed to, make sure you know what your Action is & order the correct barrel. Barrel, magnum bolt face & you'll need to modify or replace the Magazine Box for longer OAL.

Oh! And a mouth guard! For when that RUM rattles your teeth every shot!

Basic Member
    Well again, not being a Savagesmith i could be wrong, but why cant you just change the bolt face and use your (ahem) lathe to rechamber the 06 barrel?

Banned
    He could have that done. Personally, I would never rechamber a stock Savage barrel. I like premium barrels. Bartlein, Shilen, Brux, etc. Especially especially since it’s likely a thin 22” sporter barrel.

Basic Member
    Hey thanks for the info. After a little more research I think I will just buy a new rifle in 300wm. The price of 300rum ammo is way too much for me and from what I saw the WM is less expensive and still has great ballistics. I’ll keep the 06 for just another rifle to have fun with.

For the bigger boys if you plan to shoot often, cost of reloading needs figured in.
    As for getting a 300 Win Mag ?? Take a look a the 28 Nosler.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    So many different magnums now! And they keep getting BIGGER, MORE, MORE! I’m waiting for the rifle that fires the 30mmx173 from the GAU-8/A cannon! Can already get the Ansio with 20mm Vulcan, So...

BTW, what are you looking to do with this? Hunting? 300WM will down everything in North America, and most of what Africa has! Long range shooting? The 300WinMag was Chris Kyle’s personal favorite; quoting, “The 300 is in another class entirely.” And yes, there is more than a little savings in both factory loaded ammunition and reloading the WinMag, versus other need, larger magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    The 300WinMag was Chris Kyle’s personal favorite; quoting, “The 300 is in another class entirely..
    That reminds me.....Kyle liked the .338 for his more famous long offs. I think personally the .338 covers
    just about everything, and the Ansio would be a fun toy. May be a bit cheaper to just run a .50 though.

Dave, check around. I believe 30mm material rifles have been around awhile. Not sure if it was a GAU variant
    but mid eastern armorers used Russian ordnance which is in every grocery store over there. From what I was
    told, it would go thru an up armored Humvee.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Actually the 30/06 will put down anything roaming around this continent also, in including the most dangerous bears.
    And also many of the African species as well.
    Just be sure not to hit them in say the foot, else there could be problems.
    Modern day snipers are issued a choice of rifles having different cartridges.
    Chris Kyles favorite for his type use was the Win Mag, and he did not dial the scope.
    But rather he zeroed the Nightforce scope for 400 yards, and simply held up or down on the torso as required by the distance.
    His longest kill however was supposedly 2000 yds, and he used the 338 Lapua for that, by using all the elevation adjustment the scope had, plus holding over using the reticle. He admitted it was a BS luck shot when the guy dropped out of the tree he was in.
    But my thought when i read it was, was it a confirmed (kill), or did it just convince the guy to get the hell out of that tree.

Banned
    Wouldn’t surprise me Fuj, LOL! It’s just in our nature as humans...MORE, BIGGER, BETTER! You are right..the Ansio 20mm would be fun to try. But I believe the allure would wear off. Much like Full Auto, or the “NEED” for an SBR that every AR15 enthusiast goes through. I had a several year time of full auto use. Wasn’t just ONE either. M16, MP5 & UMP in 9mm, 40 & 45ac.. a Thompson, G36 & even an M2 Carbine. Even not having to pay for the ammo, it just got old. These days I couldn’t afford to feed them OR the 20mm Vulcan regularly! No way! But I can say I there is still no excitement about full auto.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    So many different magnums now! And they keep getting BIGGER, MORE, MORE! I’m waiting for the rifle that fires the 30mmx173 from the GAU-8/A cannon! Can already get the Ansio with 20mm Vulcan, So...

BTW, what are you looking to do with this? Hunting? 300WM will down everything in North America, and most of what Africa has! Long range shooting? The 300WinMag was Chris Kyle’s personal favorite; quoting, “The 300 is in another class entirely.” And yes, there is more than a little savings in both factory loaded ammunition and reloading the WinMag, versus other need, larger magnums.
    Look at it as you would drag racing Dave, except using rifles in lieu of cars.
    Horsepower always wins, and so do the cartridges holding more powder, regardless of the bore diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Look at it as you would drag racing Dave, except using rifles in lieu of cars.
    Horsepower always wins, and so do the cartridges holding more powder, regardless of the bore diameter.
    Short and fat works for me after a 12 pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    Short and fat works for me after a 12 pack.

Nothing like a bit of group tightener eh, and as a bonus you get to follow the trail of cans back home.
    No doubt back in my old home state, the trails have become pretty well marked by now.

Basic Member
    I just want one. I have the fast 22’s and a good 7mm08 for deer. I just want one. I may change the 06 into a 25-06 for more long range fun. What’s y’all’s opinion on the 300wsm? From what I’ve seen on YouTube the ballistics are nearly the same as the 300wm but I like the short action over the long. What’s y’all’s thoughts. Will be reloading after I make up my mind what I want.

30-06 to 300rum

Quote Originally Posted by jraney View Post
    I just want one. I have the fast 22’s and a good 7mm08 for deer. I just want one. I may change the 06 into a 25-06 for more long range fun. What’s y’all’s opinion on the 300wsm? From what I’ve seen on YouTube the ballistics are nearly the same as the 300wm but I like the short action over the long. What’s y’all’s thoughts. Will be reloading after I make up my mind what I want.
    I haven’t seen 300 WSM ammo on the shelf in at least a year. Mail order could be an option. 300win mag is almost always available. If you reload it would be a decent option. I went with a 7mm wsm and really like it but have a 300 win mag,

Basic Member
    I enjoy the reloading as does my son. Will a normal savage model 10 or other short action work for a wsm cartridge ?

I enjoy the reloading as does my son. Will a normal savage model 10 or other short action work for a wsm cartridge ?
    Yes but if you want a factory barrel you will have to find an older small shank.

Basic Member
    I was planning on getting an aftermarket barrel from one of the vendors on the site.

Basic Member
    Does anybody know of a factory short action rifle already chambered in 300wsm?

Banned
    Not sure exactly what you are asking? In general or specific? The Savage 110 in WSM calibers are Large Shank & 4.4” screw spacing.

Basic Member
    Yes, at least there was, i bought an all stainless model 116 in 300 WSM which i intended to use for a barrel swap for changing the 6.5 x300 WSM barrel from a model 11 to the 116 because of the magazine issues i was having even after buying the right new parts for the model 11.
    But apparently the gun was built on a Wednesday, and thats the day they built them for long shank. I guess other days they built them short shank.
    So i couldnt make the swap over for that reason.
    And i didnt know anybody who could fix any magazine in 5 minits with a rusty pair of pliers.
    So i resold the model 116 with the long shank, and later i sold the model 11 with the short shank also, after i found a guy with the right pliers to fix it.

Basic Member
    Thankya Dave hoback and yobuck.