Thread: Gen 1 barrel fitment issue?

Gen 1 barrel fitment issue?

Maybe someone can set me straight...

I have a Gen 1 model 110 in 22-250. It is a standard shank with the 7/8" long barrel nut. I ordered a new barrel for it in 6mm Creedmoor and the threads match and barrel looks fantastic, but the new barrel is flat at the bolt face the old barrel has a 1/2" step in at the bolt face. So the bolt actually seats into the old barrel by about 1/2" before it would contact the barrel. What am I missing. I was expecting the new pre-fit barrel to have the same step/relief. Since the new one doesn't have this relief it will not screw in as far, and I think, not far enough.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Thank you.

Banned
    Hmm. Is the bolt head standard as all other 110’s?

Like this? If not, I’d like to see a picture of it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok so here is the bolt, original barrel and bolt and the new barrel.

Thanks for looking at this Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Hmm. Is the bolt head standard as all other 110’s?

Like this? If not, I’d like to see a picture of it.
    Tried to post a few pics, awaiting moderator approval. Hopefully soon.

Sorry to hear of your trouble skedaddle. A little homework would have paid dividends here. Your gen 1 has a nose like a Remington I believe. The hole for the cross pin may be..and I hope someone corrects me if i am incorrect, indexed 90 degrees out if you thought about doing a bolt head swap. That might require drilling the firing pin hole also. There may also be a need to grind a anti-rotation bump out of the end of the bolt. I honestly can't remember. Some things to look for anyway. One might be better off getting a different action or wait until Fred or Jim chime in to let us know if the barrel can be altered to work inexpensively or what your other options may be. If the whole bolt can be swapped that is an option for about $150.

The information i provided could be incorrect in part or in whole. i am trying to recollect info from a rapid declining filing system.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks Robin. I wasn't positive, but thought I had come across that at some point...the first Savages being like the Remington design.

Banned
    Yeah, here it is. Has pictures of that early style bolt. Interesting. Wonder why they switched.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...Identification

If you blow the picture up showing the whole bolt, look closely you will see the cross pin is in line with the bolt lug. The newest generations the cross pin is indexed 90 degrees from the bolt lug. This makes a simple bolt head swap impossible.

Banned
    Robin, I’m curious why the cross pin orientation would matter for replacement? I’ve been trying to think of why that is, but the light just isn’t clicking for me on this one.

Imagine the bolt handle being in the open position, only the lugs are 90* out, meaning the lugs are in the vertical position aligned with the lug abutments. You can pull on the bolt as hard as you want but it will not budge. Now close the bolt and the lugs are now lined up with the raceway with no abutments behind them. Dont pull the trigger! You could not install the bolt anyway so none of that matters.

Banned
    Ahh, got it. I was envisioning using a bolt in the correct orientation. Yes, of course a standard 110 bolt head will not work.

A bolt out of a 12 bvss won't work either.

Team Savage

What you have is a pre-66 action. The bolt and barrel for the pre-66 110 is unique and not interchangeable with later models.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Ahh, got it. I was envisioning using a bolt in the correct orientation. Yes, of course a standard 110 bolt head will not work.
    A complete new style bolt may work. I have never done the swap so I cant confirm....nor deny. My question is, as long as you have the correct protrusion why would it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    A complete new style bolt may work. I have never done the swap so I cant confirm....nor deny. My question is, as long as you have the correct protrusion why would it matter?
    If it were a long action that would work, but the Gen 1 short actions were what most inaccurately refer to as "J-Series" which were the intermediate length actions with 4.522" screw spacing. Unfortunately for the OP, the only solution here would be to have a gunsmith machine the breech of the barrel to accommodate the shrouded bolt head of the early style bolt.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Ok so I have tried to reply to all who contributed, but get a message that my post needs to be approved. So here goes nothing.

Thanks so much for the information everyone. I thought I had done enough research but apparently not. I tried posting pictures but cant'. So yes the bolt is the old style that goes up into the barrel, like a rem 700 apparently. I tried the bolt out of my mdl 12 bvss, and it won't go in the receiver because of the alignment lug/boss on the lower right of the bolt. So I am putting the gen 1 22-250 back together and have ordered an action mdl 12 varmint and stock boyds at-one and will just build from scratch.

Again thanks for all the help and sorry it took me so long to be able to respond.

Well apparently that worked but my first 3 replies some of which included pictures went to the bit bucket it would seem.

Banned
    Awesome! You will be very happy with the build, if you haven’t done one already. For pictures, it’s always better to 3rd party host. I use ImgBB. No sign up, don’t have to provide one’s email. Very easy. https://imgbb.com/

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    If it were a long action that would work, but the Gen 1 short actions were what most inaccurately refer to as "J-Series" which were the intermediate length actions with 4.522" screw spacing. Unfortunately for the OP, the only solution here would be to have a gunsmith machine the breech of the barrel to accommodate the shrouded bolt head of the early style bolt.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths
    Doh, for some reason i was thinking it was a first generation long action. Obviously I was pulling on Sally's ponytail and not listening to the teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by skedaddle View Post
    Well apparently that worked but my first 3 replies some of which included pictures went to the bit bucket it would seem.
    Occasionally the software decides to flag posts from new members for admin approval with no rhyme or reason for doing so (it's supposed to only flag those with multiple links as potential spammer activity).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Occasionally the software decides to flag posts from new members for admin approval with no rhyme or reason for doing so (it's supposed to only flag those with multiple links as potential spammer activity).

Thank you for the explanation. Over time now they have appeared. They were even slotted in the correct order. Again thanks for taking the time to explain.