Thread: CRF to Push Feed, factory bolt head swap..headspace????

Basic Member

CRF to Push Feed, factory bolt head swap..headspace????

Need some help gentleman. I have a 7mm RM that is CRF. I am converting to push feed using all factory Savage parts. I bought a factory magnum bolt head w/ parts kit. Got everything swapped out, standing ejector removed etc. With a new factory bolt head, is headspace something I should check or be worried about. Again, it's a factory Savage Magnum bolt head. Thanks
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."

Basic Member
    Yes, always check head space after swapping bolt head, bolt body
    or barrel.

Banned
    Yes indeed. Always check, as olddav said.

Basic Member
    Thanks gentleman!

Banned
    BTW, what action is this? The 110 is already Push Feed. So, what is it you started with?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    BTW, what action is this? The 110 is already Push Feed. So, what is it you started with?
    I have a 111 LA in 7mm RM, stagger feed mag. It's a CRF.

Basic Member
    So I really jumped the gun (pun intended) on this. It's a long story but short of it is, I put everything back to CRF as by changing it to push I most likely am creating a huge problem with feeding from a stagger feed magazine, which is my understanding, why Savage built these stagger feed guns in a Controlled Round Feed in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattleakak View Post
    I put everything back to CRF as by changing it to push I most likely am creating a huge problem with feeding from a stagger feed magazine, which is my understanding, why Savage built these stagger feed guns in a Controlled Round Feed in the first place.
    I do not believe this to be true. Push feed Bolt heads work fine with a Stagger feed magazine box.

As for the head space I would check it. Two different designs and no telling if the critical dimension is the same.

The next issue would be the firing pin diameter and the new bolt head. This is an easy fix though. With the correct drill bit it is simple.
    I try to tell people to count on the drill bit being at least .002" oversize after the hole is drilled. That means you want to use a bit that is very close to the same diameter or < than your pin diameter.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Hmmm, well that's what I've read in threads on this forum but I will try it and see. I'll have to wait until my gauges get here. As far as the firing pin, there isnt any fitment issue that I observed when assembled unless I am missing something. Thanks for the help

ETA: I believe the feeding issue was exclusive to the belted magnums? But we'll see

Basic Member
    This is a bit confusing to me. I thought all Savage bolts were push feed type. The only CRF bolts I know of are based on the Mauser design.

Savage does have the center feed and stagger feed magazines, but both of those work fine with a push feed type bolt.

Banned
    Thought the same. I’ve never seen a Savage 110 in Controlled Feed.

Found this tread: https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...led-round-feed

Banned
    And this thread which has pictures. https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...d-or-push-feed

Pretty cool... but I’ll keep my push feed than you. Mine has been 100% reliable.

Can you please supply links to where someone errantly posted that Push Feed bolt heads do not work with Stagger Feed magazines?
    The only way that it would not feed is if the feed lips were not correct or you are using the wrong magazine for the cartridge(ie...7 rem mag in a 30-06 magazine).

If you replace your control round bolt head with a push feed bolt head you will need to remove the V ejector that is attached via the trigger hanger pin, and you will need to set head space. One of the things you will notice is that bolt operation is often slightly smoother due to the ejector not pushing on the bottom of the bolt.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Can you please supply links to where someone errantly posted that Push Feed bolt heads do not work with Stagger Feed magazines?
    The only way that it would not feed is if the feed lips were not correct or you are using the wrong magazine for the cartridge(ie...7 rem mag in a 30-06 magazine).

If you replace your control round bolt head with a push feed bolt head you will need to remove the V ejector that is attached via the trigger hanger pin, and you will need to set head space. One of the things you will notice is that bolt operation is often slightly smoother due to the ejector not pushing on the bottom of the bolt.
    I have literally read through hundreds of posts, and I dont care to dig back for all of them but this is one. Third post down. And trust when I say I read similar statements elsewhere and more on here.
    https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...rol-feed-rifle

If its not true than that's great, but I ll see for myself when the gauges get here. Thanks for the info.

The post you pointed out is by in my opinion, one of the most knowledgeable guys out there with regards to savage rifles. This is his forum BTW. His Bride's father is a very well known Gunsmith that is considered by many to be the Savage Guru.

What he(jim) posted.
    None of the newer center-feed rifles are CRF - CRF died with the staggered feed actions as they're why it was needed to ensure proper feeding.
    How i read his post; CRF bolt heads need a stagger feed magazine to function properly.

What I did not read; is that push feed bolt heads do not work with stagger feed magazines.

Anyway, what ever you come up with that works is a good thing. Most of us just wanted to see you succeed and will do anything in our power to help you get it done.

Banned
    How i read his post; CRF bolt heads need a stagger feed magazine to function properly.

What I did not read; is that push feed bolt heads do not work with stagger feed magazines.

Anyway, what ever you come up with that works is a good thing. Most of us just wanted to see you succeed and will do anything in our power to help you get it done.
    I took the same from that post...understood it as you did Robin.

Basic Member
    Gentlemen, I am not trying to be argumentative in the least. I appreciate the help and by all means it is possible that I have misread, misunderstood and or misinterpreted what I have read.

Banned
    Didn’t think you were being so. It’s all good.

I didn't think so either and I hope that I did not come across as being argumentative myself. My goal is to understand the question and do the best to help if and when I can. However, I am far from perfect.

Basic Member
    I didn't think so either and I hope that I did not come across as being argumentative myself. My goal is to understand the question and do the best to help if and when I can. However, I am far from perfect.
    I really appreciate you setting me straight. As soon as my gauges get here I am going to throw everything back together as push feed and see how she goes. Thanks again for all your help.

Basic Member
    I've never seen a regular belted mag in CRF in a Savage. You might have a unicorn there. Of course, just because I've never seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I was under the impression that only the WSM's and RUM's with stagger feed mags were changed to CRF because they were having feeding issues with the fatter cases and that was their remedy. I thought everything else remained push feed. I've got a 300 win mag stagger feed that's push feed and it's always functioned fine.