Thread: Whats the latest /best extraction fix for B22?

Basic Member

Whats the latest /best extraction fix for B22?

So I had the B22 Precision out today and it was shooting "lights out" with Wolf Match target and nearly as well with CCI Std. However, the gun started having both ejection and (mostly) extraction issues the farther I went along. (Gun was freshly cleaned prior) Maybe every 4-5 round would fail to extract. Every 10th fail to eject. ( Worse with CCI standard than Wolf) So I have researched and have found talk about filling the extractor, double springs, new "fuel line" clamp springs etc that go back years. I figure there are 10's of thousands of these rifles now in production and this should be OBE by now. Can I just get new parts from Savage to repair? Does anyone make aftermarket parts to cure what I've read is/was a common problem? Looking for the best path to 100% reliability. Any help greatly appreciated.

Basic Member
    I haven't seen many complaints about extraction for the B22s, but quite a bit about MKIIs. Did you read my reply to you on RFC? All that talk you mention seemed to be about the MKs I believe. There is a vid on YT about the 'cocking piece' on the B22s that Miles Sun first made a couple years ago that is a good tip to avoid problems with wear of that piece. Maybe that's what you're thinking of ?

Basic Member

Unhappy

I did read your reply there ( and I believe I responded/thanked. I'll need to recheck that.) It was very helpful. Thanks much.
    So I found out that this gun has had the bolt back to Savage by the previous owner for the same reason. I just reached
    Savage CS and they are sending me a spring, extractor and ejector. Hopefully that cures it.

From what Fred has found it seems Savage uses a match reamer for their 22LR barrels (which would explain why they shoot soo good). However, being a slightly tighter chamber than SAAAMI spec they have the side effect of extraction issues. Fred's reamed several Savage 22LR chambers with a SAAMI spec reamer and cured the extraction issues with no discernable effect on accuracy.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks, that's interesting to know. The gun shoots great so I'll try new extraction parts before thinking about reaming though. Hate to mess with a good thing.

Basic Member
    I'd suggest trying to file the extractors first, then maybe double the spring clips if that doesn't work out.
    Good luck,
    Ed

Basic Member
    Thanks Fasteddie01, I did do some stoning of the extractor and that didn't help. (CCI std failed to extract 50% of the time.) I got the new extractor, ejector and spring in the mail yesterday. The chamber has been freshly scrubbed too. I'll try to get to the range this week and see if the new parts cure this ( to include doubling the spring if required.) I'll report back when I do. i REALLY hope it does. I love everything about this rifle but refuse to keep anything that won't run reliably.

Basic Member
    I'd say 'Send it to me' but it won't get across the Border ;-P

Basic Member
    I used to fish the St Croix River up on the ME/CA border. I was always amazed that most of the river was just 100' wide or so with no real monitoring. Cast on one side of the boat and you were in the US. Cast on n the other, CA.

p.s. So I installed the new parts today. They seemed to have better finish than the origonals. The spring was also ALLOT harder to get on than the old one. I think that's promising!