Thread: Accufit recoil lug- frustrated

Basic Member

Accufit recoil lug- frustrated

I’m trying to install an action into this stock, but the new style recoil lug is throwing me for a loop. I can’t get it to stay in place when installing a new barrel. The old style had a small nipple that fit into a cutout on the receiver. This new style doesn’t have said nipple, so it can spin around when the barrel gets tight. What is the secret to doing this right?

Banned
    Are you using the Action wrench? It has the indentation from the recoil lug. It's a bit oversized, but you should be able to shim the sides a bit to stop the recoil lug.

Basic Member
    I have an action wrench, yes. But I have no idea what else you’re talking about. How do you shim the sides?

Basic Member
    I think they're talking about fabricating some wedges that would hold the lug in the center of the mortise. From aluminum or wood. I believe that Northland Shooter's Supply sells an insert for their action wrench to hold the lug in place if it isn't pinned.

Banned
    Exactly. Just how my mind works. I’m a problem solver. Sometimes it’s more difficult to explain than to simply DO. Good luck.

Basic Member
    It is very easy to install an indexing roll pin or a screw on your recoil lug. I have had good luck with scope mount / ring sized Torx screws. Drill and tap a hole in the right spot, then grind the head of the screw until it fits the slot in the action perfectly. Even better than the factory dimples.

Banned
    Yeah, I didn't even think about that. My PTG lug didn't have the locating pin, but it had a hole predeilled in the designated spot. I used a steel nail that would easily press in & ground it to shape. That was years ago. Recently, I had it all apart, did a refinish on the lug & wasn't happy any longer with my original work. So I pinched it out & this time I machined a pin which fit perfectly.

From how you explained it seemed like your recoil lug has nothing..not even a locating hole.