Thread: Axis 350 Legend Bolt will not retract after firing certain ammo.

Axis 350 Legend Bolt will not retract after firing certain ammo.

I was breaking in the barrel with 145 FMJ and everything was working correctly. After the break in I went to my hunting round 160 grain. After firing the bolt would not retract I had use my cleaning rod to help tap the case out of the chamber. The next round done the same thing but not as bad. I thought it could be the ammo, so I bought another box this time 180 grain. The cases were still sticking but I could get them out with bolt. I measured the spent cases with calipers and they were all within .002 in diameter.
    Any ideas or just call Savage?

Basic Member
    i hope you saved the brass . look at it carefully look for scrape marks on side wall .unusual primer , pierced or cratered . ejection marks on the bottom. looks like shiny circle stamped into bottom of brass . all these things are indication of over pressure . also split necks . if the bolt came out easy then it sounds like extraction issue . possible primary extraction issue . did it run other ammo well again . need to identify right issue to start on solution .

Quote Originally Posted by kingdombuilder View Post
    i hope you saved the brass . look at it carefully look for scrape marks on side wall .unusual primer , pierced or cratered . ejection marks on the bottom. looks like shiny circle stamped into bottom of brass . all these things are indication of over pressure . also split necks . if the bolt came out easy then it sounds like extraction issue . possible primary extraction issue . did it run other ammo well again . need to identify right issue to start on solution .
    I saved the brass and could not see any scratches or indentations. I shot the 145 again and the bolt was easy to retract. All 3 sets of ammo will load easily with no felt drag. I tried loading and ejecting the unfired shells and they came out fine. I tried the other ammo in a buddies gun and the bolt worked correctly. We bought the guns the same day at the Fall Classic sale.

Basic Member
    Was this a recent barrel swap?
    What was the barrel mfg?
    It is possible the chamber may be rough from manufacturing processes.
    A bore cam exam of the chamber may give you some answers.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    What was the barrel mfg?
    Sounds like it is a new factory gun. Headspace may be a bit too tight or the chamber could be a bit too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    What was the barrel mfg?
    It’s a new gun. I did swap out the scope and base mount. I’m going to remove the front screw above the chamber and try it again. I don’t think it’s hitting the barrel threads, the screw has no signs of of scratches on the bottom.

That’s what I was kind of thinking too. I don’t have any way to measure the ID of the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by kingdombuilder View Post
    ^Take this strategy.^

I doubt Primary extraction is the problem as that is not a known Axis issue...is it? The brass might hold the key. Measure the base of the case right at the bottom of the powder chamber and compare it to brass that extracts easily, if you have the tools and the ability.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I measured the diameter of the brass with my calipers and the 3 different cases were .001-.002 of each other. I shot the 180 grain again with the scope mounting base off it was still hard to extract. Shot the 180 grain in my friends Savage 350 and it extracted fine.

Update:

Savage gunsmiths had to polish the chamber.

Basic Member
    Thank you for the update.