Thread: 338 Edge Small Shank?

338 Edge Small Shank?

Looking to build a 338 Edge (RUM). Just curious what everyone's thoughts were on building one on a small shank action? Few manufacturers offer prefits for large shanks it seems so using a small shank would greatly simplify the process. Thanks!

Basic Member

Banned
    Holy Moly! This is the most RUM threads I've seen in a stretch here! Where'd all you Rummies come from??

Sorry, sorry... "Edge". Which actually SHOULD have been the 338 RUM from the beginning! Just doesn't seem right that the 338 RUM is SHORTER than the 300 RUM. So anyway, yeah... it's all good to run it on a Small Shank. Many people have RUMied the Small Shanks in the past.

Basic Member
    That was a good read.

Basic Member
    Just about any barrel maker will make a large shank barrel. I've ordered several. It can be done on a small shank, and Savage built their first ones on the small shank. They never were recalled. However, there's a reason they went to the large shank. It provides thicker chamber walls for the portion in front of the receiver ring and I prefer it myself for any magnums (including belted mags). I think I read somewhere that Savage was experiencing some slight chamber wall flexing with the small shanks in the large cases that was causing some sticky cases, or something to that effect. When they went to the large shank, it stopped. If Sharpshooter will chime in, I'm sure he can clarify that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    Just about any barrel maker will make a large shank barrel. I've ordered several. It can be done on a small shank, and Savage built their first ones on the small shank. They never were recalled. However, there's a reason they went to the large shank. It provides thicker chamber walls for the portion in front of the receiver ring and I prefer it myself for any magnums (including belted mags). I think I read somewhere that Savage was experiencing some slight chamber wall flexing with the small shanks in the large cases that was causing some sticky cases, or something to that effect. When they went to the large shank, it stopped. If Sharpshooter will chime in, I'm sure he can clarify that.
    I think there might be some (stickys) on what he thinks about using Savage actions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I think there might be some (stickys) on what he thinks about using Savage actions.
    Yep, there are, since it has been discussed at length before.