Thread: Savage Model 14? Not Model 14 American Classic

Basic Member

Savage Model 14? Not Model 14 American Classic

Trying to figure out a brain twister question. Did Savage market a Model 14 bolt action rifle prior to the Model 14 American Classic model? About a year ago I bought a almost NIB looking Model AC in .223 caliber. A long time friend has had a Savage bolt rifle in .222 Remington for a long time, I thought he told me once it was a Model 14 as did another mutual friend. I have been under the assumption that when Savage brought out the 14 Classic, that it was an upgrade of the older Model 14. I called the friend who wasn't at home about his rifle, but he thought it was a 14, but he is one who doesn't pay attention to model numbers, advising he couldn't recall the model number, other than it was accurate.

I've scoured the internet and this forum for any info if the 14 Classic is a upgrade to a previous model 14. Can't even find any info on a Model 14 other than the 14 Classic. Soooooo.....was there a prior Model 14 or what would the model possibly be. My friends Savage is a no-frills bolt action sort of a 110 styling. The rifle my friend has is one he's had probably at least 20 years-good accurate shooter, will drop a coyote with accuracy. Wondering now if the Models 14 and 114 were a new model number when introduced. Can't find my tell all book that has about every model of firearm every made. Dazed and confused over the question. Help needed!!!!!!!!

Starting to wonder if he has a Model 340 as in looking at some pictures of a 340 Savage it lokks familiar--a no frills wood stock with a barrel.
    Last edited by Savage 94C; 10-10-2021 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Added 340 info.

Im really not the expert on this issue but what I remember from about them was that they all had blueing as a finish and the biggest differences in the 14 models were the stock. The classic had one, The american Classic had a nice wooden stock and if I remember correctly, no comb. The european classic sold yonder had a comb.

Savage Euro Classic (Thanks armslist)

It looks like the Euro had open sights too but that could have been a year model thing.

American Classic
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Wondering if I should have posted this originally on the "Other Savage Centerfire" section. I've always been more familiar with the offerings of Ruger, Remington, and Winchester, although I've been aware of Savage's offerings. Have found a few other tidbits here and there on the forum and other sites. Starting to wonder big time that my info on any prior Model 14 before the 14 Classic was offered was off a bit. Guess the old saying "Never say Never" about Savages has it's limits. That saying can be applied to alot of firearms other than Savages too. Still seeking definitive information from those who know more about the subject than I.

Basic Member
    What they do is to put all the left over parts in a bag at the end of each year.
    Beginning of next year they shake up the bag build a gun and put a different model number on it.

Banned
    Here is a decent article. https://www.chuckhawks.com/savage_model14.htm (on a side note, I didn’t know the Savage actually has the fastest lock time of factory rifles.)

It didn’t come from an older model 14/114. It was purpose built as “The American Classic”, to be a classic designed rifle. I guess to appeal to those longing for things from yester-year. I purchased my FIRST Savage in 1996, when I turned 18. Purchased at Kmart, it was the model 111 in 30-06 with 3-9x40 Simmons scope. I know others are very familiar with that model. But at the time, I don’t remember seeing a model 114 available.

EDIT: Im sorry. It seems there WAS a 114C in 2000, that did not have an Accutrigger.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info Dave H. Didn't know either that Savage had the fastest lock time vs the other major manufacturers. The 14 AC I have is in .223 Rem caliber. When I got it I put a Leopold VX3i 3.5x10 scope on it. I had a big supply of 5.56mm ammo for my Mini14 and AR, but only around 12 boxes of Win .223 FMJ and Federal HP ammo. I sighted the Model 14 AC in with that ammo and was still getting 1" groups with it using a makeshift rest on the hood of my pickup. Only took around 15 rds. I didn't try to shrink them, just get the scope almost there. With some .223 handloads, the 14 AC will drill 1/2" groups with ease, get a little flyer once in a while (my fault). Wonder why the 114 without the Accu-trigger?

Anyway, I called Savage today and talked to the gal at Customer Service. I asked her if the 14 and 114 AC's were an upgrade of previous 14's and 114's or new models when introduced. She advised as far as she knew and what she has seen that they were new models and not upgrades of any previous 14's or 114's. She did advise to call the Cody Museum in Wyoming as they had all of Savages prior records on firearms. She gave me the number.

The gal at the Cody Museum when I explained my 14 AC question, advised that there was never any Model 14 or 114 prior to the 14/114 AC introductions, that they were new models that Savage had put out offering better than average wood, high blued metal polishing, Accu-trigger, cut checkering, etc. She did advise that Savage offered a model 1914 back in the early 1900's in .22 caliber that many just call the '14' that has led to some confusion of a few thinking they are two different models. I did make contact with my shooter/hunting friend and his Savage .222 is a Model 340, although he didn't specify what the alphabet letter was following the 340. He's had it forever, saying he hits what he's aiming at and doesn't need another. It is a accurate rifle. All I found out and can say.

There were five models of 114 offered between 1991 and 2004, and only in long-action calibers.

114 CU (Classic Ultra) - 1991-1995
    Offered in .270 Win, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag & .300 WM

114 C (Classic) - 1996-2000
    Offered in .270 Win, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, & .300 WWM

114 CE (Classic European) 1996-2001
    Offered in .270 Win, .30-06, 7mm Rem mag & .300 WM

114 U (Ultra) 1996-2004
    Offered in .270 Win, .30-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW & .300 WM

There were replaced by the 14/114 Classic series in 2005.

From the 2000 catalog:

That covers the 'official' cataloged models. However, there is/was a Model 14W short-action that was made in small numbers around 2001-2002 as a special run. These featured a large shank short action, 22" sporter barrel with sights, and a Turkish Walnut blind magazine stock. These are easily identifiable as the S/N will start with a "M". Long story short, these rifles were made using left-over 10ML muzzleloader actions that Savage had sitting around and couldn't use because the ATF mandated they change the design of the 10ML so it couldn't easily be converted into a centerfire rifle by simply swapping the bolt head and barrel (thus resulting in the 10ML-II).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Interesting JB. Thanks for posting. In my searches for any Model 14's possibly produced prior to the 14 American Classic being offered, all of my results only showed results of info about the 14 AC which got me wondering if there had ever been a Model 14 prior to the 14 AC. I never entered any search's for the Model 114. In all the time I've read info and posts on this forum I've gotten alot of mileage and info from the Savage Catalogs you added to the 'History' section of the forum. Thank you for that! Have you ever considered adding any Savage Catalog pdf's from 2017 on?

Thanks Jim. I was hoping you would chime in. I can't remember poop these days and your data is usually on target.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Jim, your last state is incorrect. The "M" prefix receivers were single shot from repurposed muzzle loaders. The 14 W's were made on salvaged receivers that were originally supposed to be large shank short magnum calibers. These receivers were meant for controlled round feed bolt heads. The reason I say "salvaged", is that the ejector cut was made on the wrong side. So instead of scrapping them, they just used the push feed bolt heads and made them in non magnum calibers. They added the turkish walnut to entice sales, and at the time they were 20 bucks less than a birch stocked rifle.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Jim, your last state is incorrect. The "M" prefix receivers were single shot from repurposed muzzle loaders. The 14 W's were made on salvaged receivers that were originally supposed to be large shank short magnum calibers. These receivers were meant for controlled round feed bolt heads. The reason I say "salvaged", is that the ejector cut was made on the wrong side. So instead of scrapping them, they just used the push feed bolt heads and made them in non magnum calibers. They added the turkish walnut to entice sales, and at the time they were 20 bucks less than a birch stocked rifle.
    Does this add any credibility to my left over parts in a bag post or what? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Savage 94C View Post
    Interesting JB. Thanks for posting. In my searches for any Model 14's possibly produced prior to the 14 American Classic being offered, all of my results only showed results of info about the 14 AC which got me wondering if there had ever been a Model 14 prior to the 14 AC. I never entered any search's for the Model 114. In all the time I've read info and posts on this forum I've gotten alot of mileage and info from the Savage Catalogs you added to the 'History' section of the forum. Thank you for that! Have you ever considered adding any Savage Catalog pdf's from 2017 on?
    The 114's were never big sellers for Savage as they were a higher grade gun than their usual offerings and at the time Savage was still rebuilding the brand and it's reputation after the 1980's that lead to them going bankrupt. Most guys looking for a higher grade rifle (walnut, gloss bluing, etc) weren't going to look at Savage and instead would turn to Browning, Remington, Weatherby, etc.

I have most all of the catalogs from 1960 and up, but my printer/scanner took a crap and given how little use it got I'm not planning on replacing it anytime soon. It's also a very time consuming pain in the butt to scan them as I have to scan, edit, watermark, etc. each individual page. Once you get into the mid 1990's and newer catalogs they start getting thicker and thicker, plus somewhere in there they went to a glued binding rather than just stapled which makes them almost impossible to get a good scan on w/o destroying the catalog.

Savage started offering the catalog in PDF format around 2003, and at this point I don't even know if they still even offer a printed catalog as I haven't seen a new one in years.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks JB--Understandable.

My .308 Model 14 AC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk