Thread: Model 99C 308 win

Model 99C 308 win

I was recently given a model 99C chambered in 308 win. The rifle has an issue I am not able to figure out so I was hoping to find someone with more experience with this given right for model. The issue is when a I gently actuate the lever the rifle it functions normally. It chambers, ejects, safeties work etc. If you add any force when actuating the lever, the action locks up and you have to pull the trigger for it ti allow the action to open. It’s all fine and good on an empty chamber, not so much with a live round chambered. I realize the safety locks the action up as well. Moving the safety back and forth doesn’t release the action when it locks up. This only occurs when you forcefully work the action. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Basic Member
    None of the experts are answering, so I’ll dive in as an amateur. Is the action locking up before it fully closes, or is it locking closed? Have you tried more than one brand of ammo or bullet type? I have a 99C in 243, and it came to me with a loose fit between the lever cam and the bolt follower (Nomenclature is assuredly incorrect). I also had issues with tweaked sheet metal bits. Has yours been fiddled with?

Basic Member
    None of the experts are answering, so I’ll dive in as an amateur. Is the action locking up before it fully closes, or is it locking closed? Have you tried more than one brand of ammo or bullet type? I have a 99C in 243, and it came to me with a loose fit between the lever cam and the bolt follower (Nomenclature is assuredly incorrect). I also had issues with tweaked sheet metal bits. Has yours been fiddled with?

It only locked up in the closed position and it will do it on an empty chamber

Basic Member
    This is befuddling behavior. I would pull the buttstock. That reveals most of the inner workings. Maybe you’ll be able to spot the problem then.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Model24 View Post
    This is befuddling behavior. I would pull the buttstock. That reveals most of the inner workings. Maybe you’ll be able to spot the problem then.
    Good suggestion. I’d start here.
    I wonder, Is this a tang safety or lever safety gun?