Thread: light primer strikes with 7.62x51 ammo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

light primer strikes with 7.62x51 ammo

I bought the savage impulse predator in 308 recently and after mounting the optics I took it out to site in, but at best only 1 in 4 rounds went off. All of my ammo is technically 7.62x51, but that shouldn't matter. The ammo I am using never had any issues with my other rifles. Is there anything I can do, or do I need to send it back to Savage for them to fix it?

Have you done anything with the trigger mechanism or bolt? A good clean and lubed trigger and bolt internals might help. I like to use Dupont dry teflon lube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dupont lube.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	8170
    Semper Fi

Sgt USMC 66-72

Team Savage
    Factory loaded or your reloads? First thought is head space. Not chamber issue but ammo too short? Firing pin hits primer, case gets pushed forward in chamber and you get FTF.

Either way, pull the bullets out a bit to increase the OAL, bullets jammed into the lands will hold the case head against the bolt head. Once fired, if reloading, make sure the shoulders don't get pushed back too far and you end up with the same problem again.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

I shot it brand new. I tried it with German NATO milspec and factory reloads that I bought awhile ago, the ammo never gave me this kind of issues in any of my other guns. They were equally unreliable when I tried to fire it out of my impulse. Are Savage rifle suppose to be picky?

Team Savage
    One of my savage 308 rifles wouldn't shoot the span can and battle pak 308 mil ammo.
    Shot everything else without issue.
    I never shot anything but reloads in my .243 predator and no issues so far.
    The only way your going to be able to test your cartridge or chamber, is with a case gauge and a chamber headspace gauge.
    You can also put a piece of scotch tape over the primer of a fired case and see if the firing pin will pierce the tape.
    It's very easy to disassemble the bolt of the impulse and I would do that to see if there's something hindering firing pin movement.

It will hit the primer but after seeing other spent round for other rifles the the firing pin is not hitting as deeply as the rest of my rifles. It is either the firing pin is too short, or the something in the chamber is off what ever it is I am going to see what Savage will say tomorrow.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGoblin View Post
    I bought the savage impulse predator in 308 recently and after mounting the optics I took it out to site in, but at best only 1 in 4 rounds went off. All of my ammo is technically 7.62x51, but that shouldn't matter. The ammo I am using never had any issues with my other rifles. Is there anything I can do, or do I need to send it back to Savage for them to fix it?
    Any news on this ?