I wrote to the CEO of Savage complaing that there was no information about the Impulse rifle available. I wasn't expecting an answer. Shockingly enough, I got a reply this morning from Savage's Director of Customer Service with very concise information.

The Imulse uses 110 small shank barrels on all calibers except the 300 WSM. That barrel uses the large shank and a different barrel extension, obviously.

I've written back to find out if the aluminum receivers are all the same and if the large and small shank barrel extensions will then interchange and fit in the same receiver. If that is the case, and I really hope it is, you could buy one Impulse rifle, a large and small barrel extension, and the applicable bolt head and have complete interchanabilty of all Savage barrels and calibers.

This would be even more than the 110 as the 110's are barrel shank specific. The 110 also has several lengths available that the Impulse does not and can accomodate longer cartridges. The Predator is limited to the shorter AICS magazines. I doubt that this will change. At one time I was hopeful that Savage was looking to make the Impulse its mainsteam bolt action rifle. I no longer believe that. I don't think it will be a unicorn but it's definately not going to be a signature product.

I also asked if and when they were going to have the barrel extensions and bolt heads available. I'll let you all know what the answer is when I find out.