Thread: 300 rum 3.70 blind mag to a 3.85 blind mag... is it possible?

300 rum 3.70 blind mag to a 3.85 blind mag... is it possible?

I am wanting to put a 3.85 blind mag into my stock to get me closer to the lands. I have been looking online and haven't found any information on anyone doing this. It seems very common with r700 300prc, but not much info for the savage.

I’ve done it by milling out the bottom of the receiver and installing a chassis that takes a 3.85” AICS mag. That was the only way I could find to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    What said. That would be my approach.

I would just buy a chassis before I tried to add bottom metal. I was hoping for a 3.85 blind mag since I would be able to run a longer coal over a cip mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnsts View Post
    I would just buy a chassis before I tried to add bottom metal. I was hoping for a 3.85 blind mag since I would be able to run a longer coal over a cip mag.
    Use a sled and run as a single shot is another option. Isn’t like you want to shoot that ass kicking beast over once any if you don’t have to. Two other pieces of free advice. Don’t skimp on the rings or glass. Otherwise you’ll chase ghosts trying to zero it. At least I did.

Banned
    Ninner & I were talking about using a Chassis. You'll still need the receiver milled if using a standard 110 Long Action I believe. If you want to mag feed 3.85" cartridges. One of the first other guys here can confirm. The 300prc in Savage is built with the same action used for the 338 Lapua Savage. It's a larger receiver.

If I were going to do it again I’d use an axis

This is a friend's rifle I am trying to get dialed in. I am limited to 3.705 blind mag. I am trying to get the 200 gr eld-x to shoot consistent. I would like to go longer, I was just seeing if a longer blind mag is possible. CIP mag would work but would get a chassis as stated earlier or try a different bullet. The rifle has arc m10 rings and burris xtr II which I have never had an issue with (running this same setup on all my rigs except my 338ax). I am currently getting 2 shots touching or near touching and then a flyer. I am leaning towards seating with too much jump. Before I even try going farther I was hoping a longer blind mag was possible.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Ninner & I were talking about using a Chassis. You'll still need the receiver milled if using a standard 110 Long Action I believe. If you want to mag feed 3.85" cartridges. One of the first other guys here can confirm. The 300prc in Savage is built with the same action used for the 338 Lapua Savage. It's a larger receiver.
    It is not a larger receiver. The magazine cutout is longer, ejection port smaller, large barrel shank, and better heat treating for more strength. Also the locking lugs are longer front to back. But it is not, dimensionally, a larger receiver. I have 2 Savage 338 Lapuas, a 110LRH, and a 112 Magnum Target, and I assure you the receivers are no bigger than a standard savage long action. The only differences are what I mentioned above.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnsts View Post
    This is a friend's rifle I am trying to get dialed in. I am limited to 3.705 blind mag. I am trying to get the 200 gr eld-x to shoot consistent. I would like to go longer, I was just seeing if a longer blind mag is possible. CIP mag would work but would get a chassis as stated earlier or try a different bullet. The rifle has arc m10 rings and burris xtr II which I have never had an issue with (running this same setup on all my rigs except my 338ax). I am currently getting 2 shots touching or near touching and then a flyer. I am leaning towards seating with too much jump. Before I even try going farther I was hoping a longer blind mag was possible.
    Is it a center feed magazine? If so, there seems to be some space between the front of the mag box and the feed ramp. I've always thought it may be possible to make a cutout in the front of the box and let the bullets protrude slightly and they'd still hit the feed ramp to cycle. I don't know how well they'd stay in place under recoil though. If they slid forward too far, they'd catch under the ramp and jam.