Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frequent Flyer

Basic Member

wbm.... This message is to be read in a "nice voice" so don't take it as insulting.....

If you want to control the conversation then write a book..... if you put it on a forum then you can't complain about where it goes. Also- you brought up cleaning in the very first post "One of the worst is a clean barrel/cold shot flyer." You think that a statement like that might lead to a discussion of cleaning when you are talking about flyers??

Lots of things can cause accuracy issues.... but a stock is not usually the cause of a flyer. Piss poor group- yes. Point of impact changes depending on how much pressure is on it- yes. But what is happening and changing in the stock that causes the first shot to impact differently and then magically fixed for the other shots? A stock problem will usually show up at different times and in different shooting positions- not just a first shot flyer.

YOUR first shot is the money shot....I better add the gun is scoped with a good Leopold scope
    LOL...I hear ya and it is indeed. Got a 4-12x50 last year and liked it so well I got another this year. Good glass!

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post

Fuj...Didn't you have a pet project going with a modified 284?
    Actually 2 now. The SA284 I shortened to be a better fit within the short actions
    and the use the long .290 throats. With the new 30" Brux I just hung on it, It's
    a 1/3rd MOA rifle.....Next is my 284-ELF. I really shortened this one up but still
    longer then a 7BR. I'm using a 130 SMK and competing in 100/200/and 300 UBR.
    It's still a work in progress with a worn out Bartlein barrel. Hart is doing a barrel
    for it in a proper twist. I'll note that Randy was working on about the same concept.
    I believe he went with a 30 degree shoulder, and I stayed with the 35 degree. It's
    a ten ring killer for sure, just need more tuning to get more X's.

I'll have a short write up on Accurate Shooter in a couple of weeks. And yes it's
    on a Savage PTA, And will be mounted on a ORYX BR chassis of my own design.

Now back to our regular scheduled program.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Good to hear! I have never had a 284. Why? Don't know! Sure be nice if you add some pics on the Accurate Shooter write up.

Now back to our regular scheduled program.
    +1. Oh yeah.

Basic Member
    Is there anyone who shoots who doesn`t have flyers? Are they one of those inevitable things in life like death and taxes? The possible causes appear to be so wide and variable that I wonder if one can ever really figure them out. I also wonder if one shooter`s "flyer" may not be another`s (?). At the risk of stating the obvious, the significance assigned to a given " flyer " will vary with the shooter`s purpose. My " minute of coyote " group requirement will differ significantly from that of the dedicated target shooter.

Basic Member
    Actually the killing shot is the money shot and you know what, good friends never ask questions about it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Actually the killing shot is the money shot and you know what, good friends never ask questions about it.
    Absolutely.

I have a thread going on AC about sorting primers, and getting beat up a bit.
    Maybe 50/50 of the crowd. Here's the deal....To some, a flyer is a full inch out,
    and to some maybe only a 1/4 inch and enough to miss the ten ring. I normally
    shoot CCI BR2 primers for match's. Well with the shortage this year, I ran out and
    had to rely on my WLR primers I mainly use for fire forming. I've had some extreme
    fliers with this lot of primers. I pulled 130 and did a sort on a Peregrine 1/100th
    resolution scale and opened my eyes. Primers went from 5.34 grs to 5.16 grs. That's
    a spread of almost 2 tenths. If that relates more weight to the priming compound
    it's self, there would be a major cause for a flier......I'll l be doing further tests down
    the road, but my last match is this weekend, and have just enough primers to finish
    out the season.

Wbm..... I get some pics up on AC after this last match. I'm back on the mill
    trying to finish up the new bench rest fore end for the Oryx chassis. I do believe
    you hang out there also !!

...getting beat up a bit. Maybe 50/50 of the crowd.
    LOL! Considering where this thread went I do understand.

I normally shoot CCI BR2
    Ah man. I could have helped ya there if I had a bit of lead time...that is what I usually use. Had my wife check at a place I knew in Albuquerque last fall She called and said they had CCI BR2. Asked how many I wanted and I said 1K....one of my more lame moments!
    Anyway those added to what I had came to almost 2K.

I do believe you hang out there also !!
    I believe I do. Good luck on the shoot!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12