Thread: Accutrigger issues and replacement options

Accutrigger issues and replacement options

Discovered after swapping the bolt handle out on my 110 Storm (which allowed me to close the bolt with more force) that my accutrigger locked up if the bolt was slammed shut. The trigger was adjusted about as light as I could get it (per the manual), so I started increasing the trigger pull weight and checking to see if the problem was resolved. Also went back to the factory bolt.

I now have the trigger heavier than I'd like it. It's towards the upper end of the range. With the factory bolt handle I'd say I can get the trigger to lock up 1/4 times if I work the bolt as hard as I can. I mean really hard.

FWIW I tried to force this to happen on my LW Storm and couldn't get the trigger to lock up regardless of how hard I slammed the bolt.

1) Am I being overly concerned about this from a safety standpoint?

2) What's the best non-accutrigger option to get a 2-2.5 lb trigger pull without any slam firing potential? If I switch to something without the safety blade, like a Timney, could the same thing occur but with an unexpected bang instead of the trigger locking up?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom,

Logan

Logan, What you describe is no surprise. The Accutrigger is doing what it is designed to do. If you want to slam your bolt down as fast and as hard as you can you are only asking for this condition to rear its ugly head and you will kill someone with a trigger without the Accutriggers safety feature. They designed it to protect people that like to operate their rifles that way. If you purchase a non Accutrigger to replace yours there will more than likely be an accidental discharge that could end in a disaster. If you need to shoot multiple rounds at a high rate of fire you might consider a semi auto.

It boils down to trade offs. If you lighten the trigger your chances of upsetting the delicate engagement of the trigger to the sear. It is the nature of the beast. Spring tension/preload is what holds it all together. If that tension is light for a low trigger pull then just a bump of the rifle will cause the trigger and sear to become disengaged. This is not a problem if you are operating it normally. You must increase the trigger pull weight to compensate for the radical slamming of the bolt. Otherwise it trips and the safety blade catches it.

Now it seams that with all of the swapping back and forth you have ended up with more issues. I wish you good luck. Some kind hearted guy will walk you through the needed adjustment to get you back to original condition.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Accu-triggers get very sensitive to both bolt slams and slight side pressure on the safety tab when the triggers are set at the minimum pull.
    Either tend to lock up the trigger. As Robinhood explained, it is a safety feature that protect you from an inadvertent discharge when your trigger is so light.

Try tightening up the trigger by 0.5 lbs and the problem will should go away. It did for me when I increased from 1.5 lbs to 2.0 lbs.
    I couldn't feel the difference in 0.5 lbs.
    You may be able to feel a difference but I doubt it will effect anything except your perception.
    I can't seen any difference in accuracy but there is a big improvement in operation and satisfaction.

I’ll take a picture of mine. Re worked with simple stuff. Bolt shims/washer
    And new springs.

It’s pretty dang good for my purposes. 2.3# and breaks like glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate all the advice.

Just to be clear, this rifle has yet to see a live round. My operating the bolt this way has just been to check to see if I'd resolved the problem (mostly to simulate the amount of force the rifle might see in a hard fall while hunting). I'm not concerned that my normal bolt operation would cause the issue. I'm worried the rifle may go off if dropped with a round in the chamber (in the extremely unlikely event the accutrigger safety failed). The trigger can't be adjusted much heavier than it is. It is maybe one turn away from the max poundage.

I also made several attempts to force this to happen on another Accutrigger rifle (which has a lighter trigger pull), and couldn't reproduce the problem. It sounds like that trigger might just be particularly good.

From what I'm hearing it sounds like the replacement options are equally susceptible to this. I wouldn't want to switch to a different trigger only to have the same thing happen but without the accutrigger safety blade. Was hoping there'd be an option with better sear engagement. Or there'd be a simple fix like swapping a spring out or something. Sounds like the accutrigger is working pretty much as designed.

Thanks again.

Banned
    In the event the rifle would be in a position to take a fall, I wager most of us would make certain the safety was on prior. If it's chambered, the ONLY time the safety should be off is when the rifle is in shooting position and ready to fire. In this scenario, no fall will cause it to fire.

The fact remains no trigger for bolt action rifles is 100% "safe" from a slam fire. The lighter the trigger pull, the more prone it is. Have you ever experienced or seen the operation of a rifle with the trigger in the low single ounce territory? Say, 8oz or less? They are frightening touchy to operate. Even THINKING about operating the bolt too quickly will cause it to fire, LOL! Let me ask you though, have you attempted any modification of your Accutrigger? Polishing the edges, or clipping the springs? Just asking as I believe we get members asking us about trigger concerns that seem to happen from "out of the blue", without getting the whole story.

I, and many others here have learned to set up the Accutrigger to operate much more efficiently, with very light pull and added safety. Regardless, they are NOT slam fire proof. I appreciate Safe Action triggers and Firing Pin Stop(FPS) systems in all firearms, for the added security.

No modifications of the trigger, just adjustments per the instructions in the manual.

I'll reiterate too, this only occurs some of the time when I'm slamming the bolt about as hard as I can. I wouldn't have even thought it was an issue if I hadn't tried the same thing on my other Accutrigger rifle with zero problems. That rifle's trigger is set noticeably lighter.

Banned
    Yup, completely normal operation. Much as what Robin first posted.

Basic Member
    I spent some time adjusting my accutrigger, but ended up getting a Timney.

Quote Originally Posted by longbarrel View Post
    I spent some time adjusting my accutrigger, but ended up getting a Timney.
    Do you work your bolt as hard as you can?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.