Thread: Do you have an Impulse and large shank 110? Can you try something?

Basic Member

Do you have an Impulse and large shank 110? Can you try something?

I can't get a straight answer out of Savage when I call them. It might be they are too big and stupid to be able to get someone to answer this. I have several pieces of literature from Savage that say that the 110 large shank barrel and the Impulse barrels are the same. On the other hand, when you call, they say the 110 and the Impulse are not interchangeable because the Impulse uses a barrel "extenstion". I can't get them to understand that the barrel screws into the extention and uses a barrel nut.

I may be asking too much but I'm really familiar with changing barrels on Savage 110's. I have a barrel wrench and I don't know how many barrels and actions. I know that the thread size is the same. I'm worried that the barrels may be different in some detail difference, like the threaded length.

Savage plans on selling complete barrel swap packages for the Impulse, barrel w/extension and bolt head. This doesn't stop anyone who has swapped 110 barrels in the past to doing the same thing to an Impulse, barrel extention or not.

Is there anyone out there that can compare the the threaded length of an Impulse barrel with a large shank 110?

Team Savage
    I think your being a bit to hard on Savage's customer service and need a little patience.
    The Impulse predator I have uses small shank barrel's.
    I don't know about the other Impulse models, but if the big game is offered in 300WSM, I would bet that it would take large shanks barrels.

Basic Member
    You're likely right. I am being too hard on Savage but it's due to frustration. The lack of information was driving me crazy. Fortunately, the director of customer service replied to some questions I had. I'm waiting for a few more details.

You're also right in that the 300 WSM is a large shank. In fact, right now it is the only large shank. What I want to know is if the barrel extensions are interchangable between receivers. For example, if I have a 6.5 Creedmoor small shank, can I switch it over to a large shank 300 WSM if I use the 300 WSM's barrel extension? Is there only one aluminum receiver? Or are there two aluminum receivers, one for large shank barrel extensions and one for small shank barrel extensions?

I'm really hopeful there is only a single aluminum receiver that accepts both large and small shank barrel extensions. It seems that may be the case since the Impulse Big Game rifle is offered in 243, 308, 300 WSM, 30-06 and 300 Win Mag and only the 300 WSM is large shank. It would seem odd to have a different receiver for a single caliber out of 6 calibers spread over 3 rifles.
    I asked the following 4 questions of Savage’s Customer Service Director that I’ve been trading emails with.

1. Is there only a single aluminum receiver?
    2. If so, does the large and small barrel extension fit that receiver?
    3. Does Savage plan on selling barrel extensions and bolt heads?
    4. If so, when?

If Savage made the Impulse’s aluminum receiver so that accepts both large and small shank barrel extensions and they make available the extensions and various bolt heads, they have gone way beyond the interchangeability of the 110 series. The only thing they are missing is action length. I can’t imagine they’ll add that any time soon, if ever but if they just did the above I would be ecstatic.