Thread: Pioneer model 26/savage 86e rear sight

Basic Member

Pioneer model 26/savage 86e rear sight

I got this rifle from my grandpa. Numrich has a similar sight, but doesn't have the adjustable windage(the small wheel mid way down the sight) and it has a bit of a different attachment mechanism.

Any ideas on what sight I need and where to find one? And how to replace it?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    It's a Savage/Stevens No 19 folding rear sight. There were two versions, tall & short, for use with different front sights. The tall was for use with the hooded ramp front sight and the lower version for more standard type front sights. The folding piece for the tall was straight across the top and for the low it had a curved down cut to lower the sighting notch. They show up occasionally on eBay but right now there are just some broken ones and one missing parts. They had a special elevator used only on this sight. Check the dovetail width, a few used on Stevens rifles had a narrower dovetail than the more standard 3/8".

Basic Member
    Thank you. I believe I found one on eBay. I do not have a hooded front sight. 15 bucks to my door. How does the sight attach to the rifle? It appears to be a rivet of some sort, but the listing almost looks like a dove tail (you don't get a good picture to be able to tell

Basic Member
    They are just a normal dovetail, the rivet holds the parts to the dovetail - like I mentioned above, some for Stevens rifles have a narrower dovetail.

You need the lower version, for use with a standard front sight. This sight was used by Montgomery Wards along with their ladder tang sight on versions of the Savage pump 22's.

Here's the hooded front sight used with the tall version -

Basic Member
    Wow, thank you! Ok yeah the one I found on eBay is missing the folding part. I might actually have the hooded front sight, just missing the hood. But at least I know what I'm supposed to be looking for now! I might buy one of the what I'm going to call "rear sight holder" since there missing the rear sight aperture piece. If they'll all fit, I might buy a different sight so the rifle would be useable while I complete the original sight.

Basic Member
    I tracked down the pictures because when you said you found one for $15 I did not think it could be complete.

Numrich has hoods for the front sights and a person is now selling reproduction inserts for them on eBay but at a very high price. They are laser cut but the size is the same as the originals.
    Front sight hood - https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/557400 The hoods will not work without the wire clip that goes on first, they are sized to slip over the clip and would be loose if used without it.

I see a lot of the No 19 barrel sights either broken or missing the fold down piece, you will probably never find just the folding piece separate from the sight so look only for a complete sight.

Basic Member
    Yeah, it looks like there's buckets of those rear sights, missing the folding piece. The gun is the single patent number, and no date marking which puts it as being made before 46 I believe, if that has any bearing on what size dovetail I might have

Basic Member
    Also, upon closer inspection, it looks like I still have the clip for the front sight, but the front bead is a bit screwed up(I'm sure it's still useable though) any idea where I could just find the little insert?

I'm thinking I could buy both the front and rear sight from numrich, and keep the original sights (and dear goodness hope I don't lose them, at least the front, the rear is pretty useless) while I look to complete them.