Thread: Savage Modell 11 .243 win

Savage Modell 11 .243 win

I have owned several Savage rifles and know that one of the great things about Savage is the ease and flexibility to rebarrel to a different caliber. What are my options with the Model 11 in .243 win?

Banned
    Well, if you don’t mind replacing the bolt head, you can go smaller or larger case size. You have a Short Action, so need to keep to that, unless you want to single feed load. If you wanted to stick with the current bolt head, a rebarrel will do any cartridge that is 308 size case head.

What are you looking to do?

Basic Member
    Rebarrel to

6 cm
    6.5 cm
    7mm-08
    338 fed

Lots of choices but 243 is not bad 6mm cm will prob have a faster twist and get you up into the 115 gr bullets for longer range.

Basic Member
    Keep .243 Develop loads for your rifle, get good glass. My .243 is a woodchuck death ray.

Basic Member
    I'm a big 308 fan. I've used mine for varmints to deer. It's accurate, doesn't recoil like the big boys, and has a long barrel life.

Basic Member
    I just put an 8 twist Criterion prefit on a friends 10GRS. After getting it headspaced, I took a good look with a Teslong borescope I have mounted on my lathe toolpost. What a beautiful barrel. Gorgeous crown, beautiful chamber, neck throat and leade. Fully lapped. It's amazing.

He loves the .243 but wanted a fast twist for eventual heavy bullet shooting.

It is a youth model and he has outgrown the stock. Looking at McMillan but need opinions. I live too close to Shilen to not get one of their barrels so likely getting one in 6mm Creedmoor

Banned
    Wait... you live too close to Shilen to get one of THEIR barrels? Were you referring to a Shilen barrel, or the aforementioned Criterion barrel?

6mm CM is a great choice. So is sticking with 243, with a tighter twist. As for the stock, go with your gut. With what you like. Honestly, any of the well known options will perform well. People have different "likes"....as well as different budgets! Go with YOUR preference, based on the shooting YOU will be doing & according to YOUR budget outline.

Yes, Ennis TX. Shilen is the very very short list. Want a sort of hybrid stock like the McMillan A3Sporter…looked at Boyd’s too and like what I see. Curious on other options I might be overlooking.

Team Savage
    Hopefully I can assist. I have spent a lot of time researching this subject
    McMillan (as you mentioned) - They have substantially reduced their advertised options for Savage but as I was informed by them in the past, almost any stock they inlet for a Rem 700 can be inlet for a Savage stagger feed long or short action. Unsure what they can do for the 4.40" center feed blind mag or DBM models. I have heard they request your Savage action be sent to them for fitting now. I have an A3 sporter for a SA 4.27" stagger feed blind mag I'm putting together. I did have to reduce the height of the rear of the trigger guard to get it to blend with the stock contour.
    Stockade - no experience with their stocks personally but have used a couple of their tactical bolt handles. I have read and heard good things about their stocks and am considering a Prairie dog special or Woodchuck for a future build
    HS Precision - I have a PST101 (vertical grip model) for a 4.27" stagger feed converted to single shot build
    Sharpshooter Supply - laminated stocks. I have a varmint tactical for a 4.27" stagger feed converted to single shot build
    Bell & Carlson - no personal experience. Most come with a length of pull too long for me
    Woox - chassis/wood stocks - no personal experience but I like the look of the Exactus and Wildman models. Weight may be an issue depending upon use as the reported weights are at the heavier end of the range
    GRS - no personal experience. The Berserk was (may still be) used on some factory models. I like the look of the Bifrost and the adjustability personally, but again the adjustable length of pull is too long for me.

There are a couple other options out there for bench guns and likely a few other options out there for hunting rifles but these are the ones that came to mind when I read your comment about other options you might be overlooking.

I like each of the three I own --- they are comfortable to shoulder and I anticipate they will fulfill their different roles. Proof will be when I finish the builds and can do some actual shooting. My goal is to post each in the build Section when complete to encourage others and hopefully generate conversation. I post infrequently but this site has been a trove of information for me and I'd like to give something back.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanRedneck View Post
    Rebarrel to

6 cm
    6.5 cm
    7mm-08
    338 fed

Lots of choices but 243 is not bad 6mm cm will prob have a faster twist and get you up into the 115 gr bullets for longer range.
    Also 358 Win and if you want to make really large holes, 375 Raptor...